Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Food] Old time favourites

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I am making a bacon and Onion suet pudding for dinner today a favourite of mine in my young days This left me thinking what other dishes are not made very often nowadays. by the modern generation The first that came to mind was Chicken Maryland with banana fritters. Any more suggestions for me to try from the old days?

WATFORD zero

NSC Patreon
Jul 10, 2003
I love bacon and onion suet but, thank god, Chicken Maryland with banana fritters never made it as far as Mile Oak.

What about plain suet pudding with butter and sugar ? Remember it as a desert when i was a kid, but haven't had it in years.

dazzer6666

NSC Patreon
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
I am making a bacon and Onion suet pudding for dinner today a favourite of mine in my young days This left me thinking what other dishes are not made very often nowadays. by the modern generation The first that came to mind was Chicken Maryland with banana fritters. Any more suggestions for me to try from the old days?

I'd forgotten about Chicken Maryland....was a pub menu staple when I was a kid (in the West Country). About as exotic as things got.

DavidRyder

Jul 23, 2013
Spam Fritters of the crispy school dinners variety (circa mid 1970's) and of course, Spotted Dick and Custard...

Spotted Dick (or Speckled Richard as I once saw it) are still a firm favourite - it'll hopefully never go out of fashion!

Pudding wise, I love granulated rice or semolina - but haven't had any in a couple of decades.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Suet pudding with bacon, yes please - but with onions? Good gawd no!

A thumbsup for suet pud with butter and (soft brown) sugar - or with golden syrup - too. Also gooseberry pudding (also made with suet) is scrumptious.

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo
******s.

*edit* that is F A G G O T S as in the meatball type things.

Tripe isn't that popular these days either.

Blackadder

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 6, 2003
Haywards Heath
All of a sudden, I'm feeling hungry.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Humble pie?

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills