Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Food] Old time favourites

pearl

May 3, 2016
Behind My Eyes
I used to love that. Vestas were actually my route into cooking. In the 70s when my parents went away and left us to fend for ourselves, they would leave those boxes - there wasn't much else back then, but I would follow those instructions and then pimp it up a little, which ultimately led to me teaching myself to cook properly.

I remember cooking a Vesta meal for a new boyfriend in the 70s .... he wasn't too impressed :lolol:

Taybha

Whalewhine
Oct 8, 2008
Uwantsumorwat
Can't beat a nice steaming hot Spotted Dick , i was very suprised to see it on the menu in a very posh restaurant just the other week , i didn't have to pay if that's what you're thinking , tsk .

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Savoury:
Steak pie
Steak pudding
Bacon pudding
Stew with dumplings
Roast dinners

Dessert:
Home made rice pudding
Creamola (a boxed powder, milk pudding)
Chocolate sponge pudding and custard
Spotted dick
Golden syrup sponge pudding with custard
Apple pie and custard

I was lucky to have been brought up on these every evening, yet somehow we were slim, being into sport, walking to school and biking everywhere.

Last edited:

Boys 9d

Jan 3, 2012
Lancing
Unfortunately, Bacon Pudding even more than sixty years later reminds me of school dinners with slimy bacon in the soggy suet and the feeling of nausea in the afternoon. Not eating it was not an option with the supervising dinner ladies.

Jul 7, 2003
I remember one of the first things I made at school was a pudding called Junket. Anyone else remember this?

Just looked it up on Wikipedia and is appears to be some form of set milk pudding.

I also see that Thornes butchers in Burgess Hill (they are Albion fans) sell rissoles which are something I haven't seen in many a year.

The Andy Naylor Fan Club

Aug 31, 2012
Right Here, Right Now
My father cooked quite a lot as we were growing up. Bacon and onion suet pudding, rice pudding, casserloes and his home made bread bring back great memories of some meal times. On the flip side I'm sure it's because of him that I like my steaks medium, he used to cremate any Sunday roast as he didn't want to see any blood.

pauli cee

Jan 21, 2009
worthing
A lot if these dishes are served in my cafe on a daily basis.
Bacon and onion pudding( not roll), Steak and Kidney pudding( with suet pastry), cottage pie, liver ,bacon and onions.I also do stuffed sheeps hearts on occasion as a special. All home made.

The most popular is steak and kidney pud, I make about 20-30 a week. I know this is 'old fashioned' fare, but, I'm in Worthing, and someonehas to feed the oldies.

I do traditional puddings as well, apple pie,rhubarb crumble, syrup sponge, and spotty dick, all home made as well.

mmmm.... home made suet steak and kidney pud, where in Worthing are you????????

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Is the word that describes that wonderful traditional culinary delicacy, ******s, really proscribed on here? Geez, what a load of old meat balls.....................................

I was told by my local butcher that he doesnt make and sell ******s due to the legislation which says the ingredients must be shown and he said it is too much trouble.

:( Really? That's offal.

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth
I remember cooking a Vesta meal for a new boyfriend in the 70s .... he wasn't too impressed :lolol:

I am not surprised.
As a treat, back in the 80's, we used to have Vesta Chow Mein once a month.
Thinking back to it now it was appalling.
I am a pudding person, there is not one I don't like, so I will throw in a Knickabocker Glory.
Used to love one in Wimpy or that type of place.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
I am not surprised.
As a treat, back in the 80's, we used to have Vesta Chow Mein once a month.
Thinking back to it now it was appalling.
I am a pudding person, there is not one I don't like, so I will throw in a Knickabocker Glory.
Used to love one in Wimpy or that type of place.

Wimpy.....Rum BaBa ??

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Yes love rum babas, made some a while back, not bad at all, but Wimpy sold Knickabocker Glories didn't they?

Yeah you're right, I think I had Rum baba in my head because of one of Mickey Flanagan's tales...........and of course the 'Brown Derby'. Don't know if you can still get your hands on a Bender though. :laugh:

wimpy.jpg

Coldeanseagull

Opinionated
Mar 13, 2013
Coldean
My dad would feast on dripping sandwiches when I were a boy:sick: whereas my mum liked bread pudding:sick::sick:
A proper home made rice pudding, with a touch of cinnamon on the skin....or apple pie and custard....another vote for spotted dick.....how about proper bubble and squeak for a Monday evening meal?
I must get some spam fritters

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here