Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] CH wins manager of the month!

Biscuit

Native Creative
Jul 8, 2003
Brighton
If we lose a couple on the bounce or he makes a defensive substitution and it backfires expect this forum to call for his head. So I'm enjoy threads like this very much.

Thank you so so much Chris. What a class act and a real credit to the club. Whatever league we're in, I love the man.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Manager of the Month, Sky Bet Championship, (31/12/2016)
Fulham 1 - Brighton 2 (02/01/17)
Manager of the Month, Sky Bet Championship, (30/04/2016)
Brighton 1 - Derby 1 (02/05/16)
Manager of the Month, Sky Bet Championship, (31/08/2015)
Brighton 1 - Hull 0 (12/09/15)

We don't do too badly.....

Exactly. The so-called curse is just superstition that people keep repeating. They may be right now and again, so that reinforces their superstitious thoughts.

There is no curse.

Jim D

Jul 23, 2003
Worthing

I would doubt if the Fulham or Derby matches were after the award was announced. That would have been a few days later.

Postman Pat

Jul 24, 2007
Coldean
I would doubt if the Fulham or Derby matches were after the award was announced. That would have been a few days later.

Dec 16 - Announced 6th Jan, day after we beat MK Dons in the FA Cup
Apr 16 - Announced 6th May day after we drew with Middlesboro in 'that' game.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Chris won the award many time last season, he seems to be immune from the curse. Chin up :thumbsup:

Given the way he conducts himself on the touchline, I reckon the curse is SCARED of him!

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
Nice one Chris

Sent from my SM-A310F using Tapatalk

mylesfdo

Jan 25, 2015
Absolute class manager and guy away from match days!

Well deserved and congrats Chris.....keep up the good work!

The Gem

Oct 17, 2008

Thanks, I feel better now, it will make the trip tomorrow even more worth while, would love a repeat of the Fulham result.

Horton's halftime iceberg

Blooming Marvellous
Jan 9, 2005
Brighton
What a brilliant manager, experienced, keeps a calm head, has built a team that works together and brought in some great signings. In this mad world of sacking managers I hope Chris stays as long as he wants.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
From the Telegraph (apologies for formatting but can't post link as needs registration to read it)

Chris Hughton exclusive interview: 'I'm not bothered being overlooked for bigger jobs. My focus is on Brighton'

Paul Hayward, chief sports writer
9 MARCH 2018 • 11:40AM

Nobody mentioned Chris Hughton when Everton were looking for a new leader last October, but everyone can see that the Barclays Manager of the Month for February is above Sam Allardyce in the Premier League table as the sides meet at Goodison Park.

Hughton is in his element at Brighton and Hove Albion, who have risen from 21st in the Championship to 10th in the top division since he was hired in December 2014. The fit is so natural that no-one in Sussex worries much about him being lost to a ‘bigger club.’ With 34 points from 29 games, Brighton could be within four points or so of securing another season in the Premier League after 34 years outside the top flight.

Hughton, who today joins Pep Guardiola, Eddie Howe and David Wagner as winners of the monthly award in 2017-18, has been rewarded for the remarkable improvement shown by Brighton’s players since the 4-0 hammering at home by Chelsea on 20 January. From there they won three of their next four games, beating West Ham (3-1), Swansea (4-1) and Arsenal (2-1). Next weekend they face Manchester United at Old Trafford in the quarter-finals of the FA Cup.

If the rest of the league saw only the goals when Chelsea came to visit, Hughton observed something deeper. He says: “What has helped enormously is that even in the Chelsea game, where arguably we saw one of the best individual performances by a player at the Amex [by Eden Hazard], we were just caught by an exceptional team and found it hard to get back in.

“But the general sense was that we didn’t play too badly, and I think that helped, because it meant the confidence levels weren’t shattered. The team have not been embarrassed by the division. We’ve been in almost every game.”

But the upswing was remarkable, with 10 points from 12 and a surge away from the relegation zone. Hughton picks out “continuity” of selection and the spirit in his squad: “It’s also the influence of the players who are not playing. That group has been good all season - and that helps. But it is hard work. We’re having to raise our game for every game, and it’s demanding, but the players so far have shown a real aptitude - and a real desire to make sure we’re in this division next year.”

Hughton was always alive to the bigger picture. He has lent his support to football’s prostate cancer awareness drive, noting that while white males are being diagnosed at a rate of one in eight, the ratio rises to one in four for black men. He calls the current diagnosis numbers “frightening.”

His roots are in an older, more caring culture, but he is more and more at home in today’s game. He pays tribute too to his assistants, Paul Trollope and Paul Nevin, and sports science and medical departments. Ben Roberts, the goalkeeping coach, is credited with “most of the good work” in helping Mat Ryan to become a dependable Premier League keeper.

Of Trollope, Hughton says: “He knows very much how I work, and he is one I would also listen to. One thing that will never change as a manager is that there is so much game stuff and management stuff to deal with that you want good information. Paul Nevin, who I brought in, worked with us at Norwich, and has come in as a first-team coach and has been a wonderful addition.”

I ask about some of the players who have improved through the campaign, starting with Glenn Murray, who has 11 league goals. “I think he’s hungry,” Hughton says. “He spent time of course at Bournemouth and didn’t play as much as he’d have liked. He’s hungry to play.”

And Lewis Dunk, who is not far away from England selection, though Burnley’s James Tarkowski and Leicester’s Harry Maguire may be ahead of him: “Yes. Alfie Mawson at Swansea is another good young player,” Hughton says. “Dunk is certainly good enough to be in that company.”

And Pascal Gross, the playmaker: “He’s very flexible. He works for the team. We played predominantly a 4-4-2 the last couple of seasons. It’s very difficult to play 4-4-2 in this division, but the ideal one for us is a player who can press high, but predominantly is a No 10. He’s a hard-working player and a very football-intelligent player as well. Good background, good family background, and it didn’t take him long to settle in.”

Davy Propper: “We had a feeling about Davy, but you just don’t know. He’d played in a couple of different positions. They [PSV Eindhoven, his former club] played a three in midfield. Certainly if you’re playing in a two in midfield in the Premier League it’s a different kind of role.” Propper plays alongside Dale Stephens, of whom Hughton says: “Dale is one player who, if you’d asked me at the start of the season, do I think he can play in the Premier League, I’d have said yes.”

Jose Izquierdo has benefitted from patient handling. Hughton says: “He’s a good story. He came in for what was a big fee for this club and has developed, by his hard work. He’s desperate to do well.” Ezequiel Schelotto has also progressed. “He came here as a very experienced player who’s played at some good clubs. And of course he had Bruno ahead of him.”

To see his name missed off the list of candidates for ‘big’ jobs is of no concern to Hughton, who says: “No it doesn’t bother me. My managerial drive has always been about doing the best job I can. At the moment I’m taking great satisfaction from what we’ve built up here.

“The most pleasing thing is to think about some of the players who’ve come through. Lewis Dunk, who I can remember watching two or three years before I got to to this club: a centre-half, playing at the Withdean [stadium], making the odd mistake, but full of enthusiasm. Dale Stephens, Solly March, Anthony Knockaert. They’re the bits I enjoy. So no, it doesn’t bother me. It’s not something I think about.”

To tell him in August that he would reach early March with 34 points, in 10th position, would have pleased him. He smiles. “Absolutely. I would have been delighted with that one.”

Brok

😐
Dec 26, 2011
Ah, but life feels so good at the moment. CH's award, the brilliant football we are playing, and the results we are getting lately are more than I ever hoped for.
Add to that the general good-feeling on NSC (apart from the usual moaning bleeders) and the distinct lack of Palace on the board.
I am so, so looking forward to the game tomorrow.

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
image.jpeg

Top man, well done. :bowdown:

Probably the best photo I've seen of Chris, I wonder if he still has those boots. :)

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here