Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Film] Overrated films?

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
I’d like to add anything with Sandra Bullock in. Crash, Gravity etc... awful, awful films made even worse by an awful, awful actress.

I'm with you on Gravity, it's just a movie that a cable station may pick up. Special effects just a substitute for anything resembling a plot

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
Is there going to be an overrated TV shows thread? I'd like to nominate Breaking Bad.

Seconded. I got about five episodes into season 2 before I finally ditched it.

seagulls4ever

Oct 2, 2003
I adored Breaking Bad. Plus it starred CH as Gustavo Fring.

I’d nominate The Good Wife. Promising at first, then each episode, hundreds of them, followed the same plot.

I liked Breaking Bad, but people talk about it like it's up there with the best TV shows of all time. It's not that good. It was an enjoyable watch, but it didn't have me swooning.

I haven't seen The Good Wife, but it seems like a lot of TV shows follow that format.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I liked Breaking Bad, but people talk about it like it's up there with the best TV shows of all time. It's not that good.

I haven't seen The Good Wife, but it seems like a lot of TV shows follow that format.

I was lucky in watching BB only a year ago, with no preconceived ideas from media / public hype. I wasn’t aware people went on about it.

seagulls4ever

Oct 2, 2003
I was lucky in watching BB only a year ago, with no preconceived ideas from media / public hype. I wasn’t aware people went on about it.

I think I may have enjoyed it more if I wasn't aware of the hype surrounding it. I went into it with high expectations which were not met.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Can't be bothered to read the whole thread but there are two that really stand out for me.

The Deer Hunter - seemed to have nothing to say but took a long time saying it

Shawshank Redemption - it's well made, I'll give you that, but it's dull and formulaic. I've seen a lost worse but a hell of a lot better. The makers should have been tied down, made to watch A Man Escaped and seen how Bresson can build tension without words.

alfredmizen

Banned
Mar 11, 2015
Did you see something of yourself in the Ben Kingsley character ? too close to home perhaps ?

no mate , for starters i may come across as aggressive on here but im not really (stop laughing at the back !) i just think ben kingsley( its sir ben) was totally unconvincing

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
The Deer Hunter - seemed to have nothing to say but took a long time saying it

Which is precisely why BG has been signed up to star in the remake, set in Haywards Heath and the killing fields of Hassocks and renamed The Beer Hunter it depicts one retired landlords's long-winded search for the perfect pint of Harveys.

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Odd how people see films differently. Many of my favourites on here. I do think the impact of a film can depend hugely on your mood on viewing and where you are in life at the time. A film can resonate with you and watched again does not have the same impact

Raskolnikov

Aug 13, 2014
Wivenhoe
I hope Pulp Fiction is on here. Decided to watch it a few weeks back for the first time and found the plot to be surprisingly weak. No idea why it is so glorified, especially among my generation - perhaps because it isn't a remake?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here