Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Film] Overrated films?

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
I enjoyed The Darkest Hour at the time, but I think the hype around it since has become too much. Gary Oldman was barely better than Brian Cox in basically the same film a year ago. The only difference (apart from the supporting cast arguably being weaker in Darkest Hour) was the scene on the underground which was absolutely top notch. Brilliantly done, but hardly enough to justify all of the praise.

I've always liked Gary Oldman so I've no opposition to him winning best actor but I think the hype around the film is too much.

nickbrighton

Feb 19, 2016
All the Marvel Cinematic Universe films, I just don't get it. The first Avengers was the last one i saw, I was hoping for something great but it was just SFX and a crud storyline, same with the ever growing trend on crossover tv series- occasionally they work (Chigao PD/Fire/Med is how to do it), but the superhero crossovers just get to the point where you need to watch so many different series to have a chance of knowing wtf is happening.

The Clamp

NSC Patreon
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
All the Marvel Cinematic Universe films, I just don't get it. The first Avengers was the last one i saw, I was hoping for something great but it was just SFX and a crud storyline, same with the ever growing trend on crossover tv series- occasionally they work (Chigao PD/Fire/Med is how to do it), but the superhero crossovers just get to the point where you need to watch so many different series to have a chance of knowing wtf is happening.

Absolutely. I lost track and gave up with the whole lot years ago. Some of the films are fun but it's too much. Far more interesting things out there to tickle the eyebuds.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Mama Mia, and now they are doing it all again !

Meade's Ball

Jul 7, 2003
Hither (sometimes Thither)
According to IMDB, The Shawshank Redemption is a little better than the Godfather. Is it? Is it really? And the pigging Matrix is just better than Seven Samurai.

Blackadder

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 6, 2003
Haywards Heath
never quite understood why so many went mental over "Close encounters of the third kind".

GOM

living vicariously
Aug 8, 2005
Leeds - but not the dirty bit
Moonlight, just another coming of age film.

Seeing all the films mentioned by everybody else just goes to show it's all a matter of personal taste and opinion.

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
Moonlight, just another coming of age film.

Seeing all the films mentioned by everybody else just goes to show it's all a matter of personal taste and opinion.

The majority of films that get a cinema release are no more than revenue vehicles, the original idea very much stripped down, or just not very good. If you trawled through the last couple of decades, of the thousands of films released I doubt most people would pick out more than twenty or so they'd actually rate or remember.

pearl

May 3, 2016
Behind My Eyes
Braveheart, a friend told me it was brilliant, blah, blah, blah, historically factual, blah, blah, blah ..... massive pile of BS

bit off at a tangent, but never seen Richard Gere in a good film tbh

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
Shawshank redemption. Good but nowhere near the greatest film of all time as so many people seem to claim.

Formulaic, colour by numbers, disengage brain prison yarn that could have been made by Disney. Certainly watchable, but has had more hot air blown up its overrated arse than BG has spouted on here down the years.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
never quite understood why so many went mental over "Close encounters of the third kind".

big deal at the time. applies to many films (and music) that years later we dont quite appreciate them, because they are so familiar and lead to so many derivatives.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here