Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Film] Overrated films?

Muzzy

Jan 25, 2011
Lewes
Pretty much anything sci-fi bores the crap out of me!

Anything with Will Smith in it is also cringeworthy guff to me too.

Shawshank was ok but not when it's on more often than Eastenders.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
The new new Star Wars, not the old new ones which everyone hates. I can quite happily watch any films aimed at kids, I just don't get why people try to make out Star Wars are more than that. They look great mind.

Another vote from Wolf of Wall Street. I know they're dicks, but by the end of the film that was the only feeling I had left about it; what a bunch of wankers.

Isn’t that the point ? They were a bunch of wankers.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
The Shawshank Redemption is the most overated film in cinema history.

It’s no more then meh.

Yup. Will get duly flamed for this but I thought Lock Up with Stallone and Instinct with Anthony Hopkins were better prison films than Shawshank. Donald Sutherland was brilliant in Lock Up. Papillon of course is better than all of them.

Gabbafella

Aug 22, 2012
Fargo. Utter horse manure.

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
Oh go on let's add another NSC fave to the list. Now we've all agreed that the previously untouchable Shawshank Redemption isn't all that, I give you that instantly forgettable Bruno Gantz classic 'Downfall' (sorry).

Klaas

I've changed this
Nov 1, 2017
Isn’t that the point ? They were a bunch of wankers.

True. But then there are lots of films about wankers, and I usually get more out of watching them than just the feeling, 'What a bunch of wankers'.

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
Odd how people see films differently. Many of my favourites on here. I do think the impact of a film can depend hugely on your mood on viewing and where you are in life at the time. A film can resonate with you and watched again does not have the same impact

I agree, but isn't it also that different people like different stuff. I've just read somebody slagging off Fargo, which I thought was brilliant.

Back to the point. The film I really didn't get was Mamma Mia - I have no problem with the music of Abba, but that was just pointless drivel.

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
Going back a few years (well decades) - Dr Zhivago. Endless shots of a train, endless plays of that bloody theme and managed to make the Bolshevik revolution dull.

Very much agree....... and Omar Sharif just looking watery eyed all the time.

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
The Italian Job. Dull.

Never had any desire to watch it, simply because it looks like a bag of utter shite. Appreciate that's not a scientific appraisal.

The Godfather I've tried to watch a couple of times and was so bored after 20 or so minutes I switched off.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Never had any desire to watch it, simply because it looks like a bag of utter shite. Appreciate that's not a scientific appraisal.

The Godfather I've tried to watch a couple of times and was so bored after 20 or so minutes I switched off.

I've watched IJ a couple of times, never enjoyed it. Watched Godfather films once each and no desire to watch them again.

FamilyGuy

Jul 8, 2003
Crawley
Gravity - extremely disappointed, nothing really happened other than special-effects.

FamilyGuy

Jul 8, 2003
Crawley
An Officer and a Gentlemen - it was one of those "big films" in my youth, and it was sh!te

Austrian Gull

Feb 5, 2009
Linz, Austria
But this has one major redeeming feature - a pre-hardened and pre-cynical Johansson.

My nomination: most Spielberg.

I was pretty hardened when I saw Johansson in that film...

Oh, and an overrated film for you - Gangs of New York. I'm glad Daniel Day Lewis is retiring.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here