Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Film] Overrated films?

sussex_guy2k2

Jun 6, 2014
Four weddings and a funeral - A film with one joke and lots of swearing
Groundhog Day - A good example as to why American 'humour' just doesn't travel
The entire Harry Potter series - Just about managed to watch the first 30 minutes of the first one, not for me
Inception - A film trying to be too clever, just didn't understand what was going on
American Beauty - Why this film was elevated to 'brilliant' is beyond me

What? You think 8 films are overrated based on 30 minutes of the first one of said films?

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Formulaic, colour by numbers, disengage brain prison yarn that could have been made by Disney. Certainly watchable, but has had more hot air blown up its overrated arse than BG has spouted on here down the years.

Frankie Boyle has spoiled Shawshank Redemption for me with his line that 'when I was young I used to ejaculate like it was firework night, now I'm a lot older, it's like Tim Robbins escaping from Shawshank'...

Audax

Boing boing boing...
Aug 3, 2015
Uckfield
LaLa Land was not at all my cup of tea.

This. It was enjoyable in a "switch off the brain and watch the fluff" way, but it had no real substance to it. Like listening to teeny-pop when you could instead be listening to an amazing orchestral piece.

Far, far, far better musicals out there.

Simon Morgan

Oct 30, 2004
Oxford
IT - the new one, haven't seen the old one. Thought it was absolutely dreadful. Crap storyline and went on forever.
LOTR - I have many friends that are obsessed, doesn't interest me.
Fantastic beasts and where to find them - it's fair to say I genuinely worry for humanity when people actually rate something as uniquely awful as this film. To me it was a bit like Victorian pokemon being caught by a grown-up Oliver Twist (now an H&M model) with the bloke from the go compare advert traipsing around. Staggeringly bad.

gripper stebson

Jul 27, 2004
When I first saw it at the cinema I did really enjoy it. Never seen it since or on a small screen, and people did boo in the cinema, but I thought it was great at the time, minimal, clever, built a lot of tension. Be interested to know what [MENTION=2647]gripper stebson[/MENTION] 's take on it.

I was a bit disappointed at the cinema following all the hype but having watched it since love more each time I see it. It has led to a dirth of copy cat films (two by me!) that are nowhere near as good. You can only be first once.

Also I worked with Daniel and Eduardo, the creators of it, on a Sky TV horror pilot a few months back.

CLANNNGGGGG!!

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Alexander the Great with Colin Farrell in it.

That wasn't overrated, it got absolutely PANNED (16% on Rotten Tomatoes).

I've tried to like Spinal Tap,and it has its moments, but its nowhere near as funny as so many people seem to make out. Likewise Life of Brian.

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
Argo. Utter tripe. Presumably it won the best picture Oscar as no other films were made that year.

And largely a Hollywood fiction, their real life escape bearing little relationship to the sensationalised film version, which ignored the role of the British completely. In more positive news, it did lead to a brief period amongst myself and acquaintances of saying:"Argo fvck yourself!"

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
The Breakfast Club - Nothing happens. A few kids talk about emotions and shit :shrug:

Taxi Driver - I'd been told this was a must watch classic. It was OK, but I couldn't really see what the fuss was about. I certainly wouldn't watch it again.

Any superhero film from the past 10 years.

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
The Breakfast Club - Nothing happens. A few kids talk about emotions and shit :shrug:

Taxi Driver - I'd been told this was a must watch classic. It was OK, but I couldn't really see what the fuss was about. I certainly wouldn't watch it again.

Any superhero film from the past 10 years.

I'll see your Taxi Driver and raise you Mean Streets, another lauded DeNiro flick.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here