Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] England call ups

Joshski

Mar 18, 2008
Earlier this week it was Murray being mentioned in the media with regards to a first England call up, today both Dunk and Stephens are being linked by the city AM. The article mentions the form of other England centre backs has dropped (Cahill/Stones/Gomez)and that Dunk has one of the highest number of inceptions in the PL and Stephens would be a good CM as back up who rarely gives the ball away! Also mentions Brighton’s defense being the 2nd best outside of the top six behind Burnley. Looks like the club and it’s English players are finally getting some well deserved recognition!

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
Fingers crossed for Dunk, I’ve got a few quid at 25/1 for a World Cup call up.

:lolol:

A mex eyecan

Nov 3, 2011
rightly they / we should be recognised. Before the start of the season there seemed very few who predicted much more than humiliation coming our way.

i still honestly feel that despite players proving their worth as far as Southgate is concerned he won't even consider our players. There i've said it now, que Murray, Dunk and Dale all getting the nod. I'd like nothing more than being proved 100% wrong.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
rightly they / we should be recognised. Before the start of the season there seemed very few who predicted much more than humiliation coming our way.

i still honestly feel that despite players proving their worth as far as Southgate is concerned he won't even consider our players. There i've said it now, que Murray, Dunk and Dale all getting the nod. I'd like nothing more than being proved 100% wrong.
I agree. He'll go for people who've come through the youth teams first.

clarkey

Jan 3, 2006
I was away for the Stoke away game, and watched on a stream. Co-commentator was Tony Gale who spent the entire 90 minutes gushing over Stephens saying he should be starting for England. One of his reasons: we need a player who always looks for the forward pass. That might upset a few on here....

GloryDays

Jul 5, 2011
Leyton, E10.
I truly believe DS is probably the best Englishman in his position in the world at the moment. Weather that'll be recognised by the international team or not is a different question. Carrick, one of the finest midfielders we've seen in the last generation, was essentially a reject - a victim of the Lampard and Gerrard strong hold.

These days Dale will have a similar situation with Henderson, Wilshire, Dier, Alli (to name a few) and our current obsession with inside forwards , players too shit to be a striker but can't cross well enough to be called a winger.

His best bet will be replacing Livermore and getting a few minutes in a friendly. Even that would be incredible.

Last edited:

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Didn't Dunk get an U23 call up ONCE?

Think he was in the U21s a couple of times, but never played. Around same time as March was

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
Picking Dale Stephens as a CM who doesn't give the ball away?

Hmm.

The Maharajah of Sydney

Jul 7, 2003
Sydney .

Well, why not. Hurst, Peters & Moore were selected from a West Ham team that finished 12th that year.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
Of the three, it'd be absolutely mind-boggling for Dunk not to be in there at the moment, based on his and others' form. Murray and Stephens are more of a punt (the former might get in purely on the back of the media narrative, wouldn't be unheard of), but there's no good reason why Southgate should ignore Dunk in his squad.

Which isn't to say he won't, of course.

DavidRyder

Jul 23, 2013
I'd love our boys to get THE call, they would all deserve it. But generally speaking, is it too late to blood new players into a group that have on the whole been together a while? I know it SHOULDN'T be that way - if you're talented enough, you should have the chance.

seagullsoverlincoln

Jul 14, 2009
I think Dunk could get a call up. Southgate has indicated that he will prioritise players who are playing regularly for their club-Stones and Cahill hav'ent been. Keane hasn't had a good season,so Dunk could get a call up,although Maguire may be ahead of him.

Half Time Pies

Sep 7, 2003
Brighton
Think we need to take the rose tinted spectacles off. As good as they are Murray and Stephens are not and will never be international standard players.

Dunk on the other hand certainly has the potential.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here