Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] England call ups

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003
Think he was in the U21s a couple of times, but never played. Around same time as March was

They were never called up at the same time. Lewis Dunk's England under 21 call up came in the 2011/12 season, Solly had only just joined us from Lewes at that point.

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
Murray and Stephens don't have to be international class to get into the team, all they have to do is be better than the other English players in those positions

sussex_guy2k2

Jun 6, 2014
I truly believe DS is probably the best Englishman in his position in the world at the moment. Weather that'll be recognised by the international team or not is a different question. Carrick, one of the finest midfielders we've seen in the last generation, was essentially a reject - a victim of the Lampard and Gerrard strong hold.

These days Dale will have a similar situation with Henderson, Wilshire, Dier, Alli (to name a few) and our current obsession with inside forwards , players too shit to be a striker but can't cross well enough to be called a winger.

His best bet will be replacing Livermore and getting a few minutes in a friendly. Even that would be incredible.

Like Cristiano Ronaldo, or Asensio, or Izquierdo, or Knockaert, or Robben, or Ribery, or Costa, or Coman, or Pedro, or Hazard, or Sanchez, or Neymar...

Half Time Pies

Sep 7, 2003
Brighton
Murray and Stephens don't have to be international class to get into the team, all they have to do is be better than the other English players in those positions

When you say 'better' it depends if you mean form for their club teams or class and potential to be international standard. Many England managers of the past have taken players based purely because they are doing OK for their clubs despite the fact that they clearly don't have the quality to play at International level and to be honest it rarely works out well.

Better in my opinion to take a player who is perhaps not the finished article but will benefit from the experience than pack the squad with average players at the end of their careers who are not up to standard and just there to make up the numbers.

Exile

Objective but passionate
Aug 10, 2014
Dunk getting a call could (long term) be a big deal for us. If we get to the summer transfer window and he's still being overlooked, then its one more reason (to go with trophies and HARD CASH) for him to wonder if he's missing out by staying here any longer.

If Dunk goes to the World Cup as an Albion player, it takes away ONE of the reasons to angle for a move.

Gilliver's Travels

Peripatetic
Jul 5, 2003
Brighton Marina Village
How many players ever get better after playing for England? I mean, really?

I'd rather the all-round-excellent Lewis Dunk remain untainted by exposure to that dull, dull team, and their dull, dull manager.

Stephens, on the other hand, would fit in perfectly.

sussex_guy2k2

Jun 6, 2014

I'd rather the all-round-excellent Lewis Dunk remain untainted by exposure to that dull, dull team, and their dull, dull manager.

Oh MEEEOOOWWWW. Kitty got claws.

Invicta

NSC Patreon
Nov 1, 2013
Kent

So you'd like to:
1) annoy Lewis by hoping he's not picked,and
2) You're happy to put down Dale.

#together !!!!

um bongo molongo

Jul 26, 2004
Battersea
Slightly O/T but looked at the odds for being in World Cup squad (dunk 7/1, Murray 25/1) but quite tempted by Phil Foden at 33/1 - once city win the league in a few weeks he's likely to get a run of games, we're not exactly blessed with creative #10s in this country (and by not blessed I mean we don't have any) and he'll be 18 by the time of the WC which is not THAT young. Or would I be throwing my money away?

sussex_guy2k2

Jun 6, 2014
Slightly O/T but looked at the odds for being in World Cup squad (dunk 7/1, Murray 25/1) but quite tempted by Phil Foden at 33/1 - once city win the league in a few weeks he's likely to get a run of games, we're not exactly blessed with creative #10s in this country (and by not blessed I mean we don't have any) and he'll be 18 by the time of the WC which is not THAT young. Or would I be throwing my money away?

I’d imagine there a better chance of someone like Jason Sancho going who’s already playing regularly for Dortmund.

hart's shirt

Jul 8, 2003
Kitbag in Dubai
Dunk has one of the highest number of inceptions in the PL

Well, I'm not surprised.

It won 4 Oscars and was nominated for Best Picture.

MrSnuggles

Apr 29, 2016
Apparently Gareth Southgate may be looking at Dominic Kelvert-Lewins today, so be nice to see Dunky snuff him out and for Murray to bag a couple!

Surrey Phil

Aug 3, 2010
I think some on here are getting a little carried away. England talk is great but let’s get a few more points and get safe first. I don’t think we’re quite world beaters yet!

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here