Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Technology] Compact cameras of the point and shoot variety

In the NSC spirit of threads that have nothing whatsoever to do with either BHAFC or indeed football may I have some consumer advice.

Apart from our phones we have one fairly ancient Fuji digital camera which my wife has nabbed for work. Decided to treat myself to a new camera, what would you recommend around £250 or less for general "snaps"?

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
what would you recommend around £250 or less for general "snaps"?
Firstly, I haven't been looking at such devices, so I won't be recommending one, but what I will do is ask you some questions Sonny Jim!

Do you want it to be good (read, better than average) in low light?
Do you want much of a zoom?
Do you want to take arty (high quality) portraits (of family etc)?
Do you want to do large prints, or just use online/pc/tablets?
By point and shoot I assume you want everything automatic, or would you like to be able to adjust the settings a bit (depth of field, shutter speed)?
How small do you need it to be?

There's a fair variety of cameras about, and each offers pros and cons. Identifying what you want it for would help.

For example, my wife would go for a small automatic with zoom, while I'd go for a high quality fixed focal length manual. Hers for snaps, mine for art, snaps, and usable in low light.

Last edited:

timco

Jul 5, 2003
Birmingham
Panasonic LUMIX Tz70, £220 from John Lewis. May find it cheaper as a new model the tz80 has been released.

LUMIX series are one of the best point and shoot.

I currently use a TZ70 for the album has more than point and shoot capabilities but is also very suitable for the happy snapper. I paid a lot more than that when it first came out BTW even the TZ80 is old hat now as there is a TZ90 (not sure what they are going to do next the TZ100 and the TZ200 are very different beasties and the price reflects this fact)

The TZ 60 was also fairly decent and had I not sat on it would probably still be using that!

https://www.panasonic.com/uk/consum...gital-cameras/superzoom-cameras/dmc-tz70.html

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
I know nothing about cameras, but a few years ago I purchased a Panasonic Lumix TZ30. It doesn't get used much but took it away on holiday recently and was very impressed with the results. Easy to use, good photos does the job. So I'd look for whatever the latest generation of that is

timco

Jul 5, 2003
Birmingham
I know nothing about cameras, but a few years ago I purchased a Panasonic Lumix TZ30. It doesn't get used much but took it away on holiday recently and was very impressed with the results. Easy to use, good photos does the job. So I'd look for whatever the latest generation of that is

See above it is the TZ90 although this is a bit pricey when the TZ70 can be a relative bargain my first Lumix was a TZ10 followed by a TZ20 (lost or stolen) then a TZ 40 followed by a TZ 60 (sat on and broken still sitting on my desk waiting for me to repair it) then a TZ70.

MJsGhost

Remembers
NSC Patron
Jun 26, 2009
East
Bouncy bouncy...

I'm in the market for a new camera and wondered if the resident NSC camera buffs could help? Interestingly enough, my research had turned up the above-mentioned Panasonic TZ200 as the way to go, so I wonder if anyone's got their hands on one since this thread?

I am familiar with Panasonic menus/function controls as I have a couple already (a waterproof compact and also a DMC-G2), so unless there's a compelling reason to go with another brand...

Anyway, here's what I want from it (thanks Trig :thumbsup:):

Do you want it to be good (read, better than average) in low light? Ideally (which is the potential stumbling block for the TZ200 from what I've read).
Do you want much of a zoom? Yes
Do you want to take arty (high quality) portraits (of family etc)? Not high on the list of priorities
Do you want to do large prints, or just use online/pc/tablets? Yes to large prints
By point and shoot I assume you want everything automatic, or would you like to be able to adjust the settings a bit (depth of field, shutter speed)? I am very much a novice, so although the ability to tweak settings is attractive (certainly for the future), the reality is that automatic is going to be better for me
How small do you need it to be? I'd like it to slide into a pocket, or at least not be too bulky in a case - otherwise I'd crack out the G2 (which was gifted to me when a relative upgraded and I've always found it a bit bulky and also hard to master as a novice)

Essentially, I've got a holiday coming up, so getting some shots of scenery from temples to tea plantations and beaches to safaris, as well as the more day-to-day holiday shots in the hotels is what I'm after (though will probably settle for the camera phone for inside rather than carry a camera at all times, unless it's really weeny).

Budget – up to about £1000 at a push, but that would have to be the dog's danglies and all I'd need from a camera for the next 10 years.

Many thanks in advance!

MJsGhost

Remembers
NSC Patron
Jun 26, 2009
East
For best prices, go here: https://www.camerapricebuster.co.uk

Read this review of the Sony RX100 VI - especially the final few paragraphs. ;-)

https://www.trustedreviews.com/reviews/sony-rx100-vi

Thanks Wozza - have you got/used one yourself? That was the other option that kept cropping up on review sites and the only thing putting me off at all was getting used to a different brand's controls (though with a point & click I suppose it wouldn't take too long to figure them out...)

seagullsslimjim

Sep 26, 2003
Panasonic LUMIX Tz70, £220 from John Lewis. May find it cheaper as a new model the tz80 has been released.

LUMIX series are one of the best point and shoot.

I bought a TZ80 in April for my travels and its the biz ! it includes 4k video too and yet you can just point and shoot and explore the capabilities as you go. That model has been around since early 2017 i believe.

With compact cameras becoming less loved because of camera phones, then there are some great bargains on ebay.

I think i paid £190 for the camera and then splashed £60 on a 4K memory card that can hold over 10,000 pics.

I had an earlier model before that for about 8 years and faultless.

Model wise and i think they are up to the TZ100 now.

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
Thanks Wozza - have you got/used one yourself? That was the other option that kept cropping up on review sites and the only thing putting me off at all was getting used to a different brand's controls (though with a point & click I suppose it wouldn't take too long to figure them out...)

In my experience, a single trip is enough to learn new controls, so I wouldn't worry about that.

I haven't had a TZ camera for a while, but they're consistently well reviewed as great travel/all-round cameras.

Sony, Canon and Fuji all offer amazing compacts, some with bigger sensors (and therefore better in low-light), but they're all designed for intermediate to advance users, really = overkill as point 'n' shoots.

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
Bouncy bouncy...

I'm in the market for a new camera and wondered if the resident NSC camera buffs could help? Interestingly enough, my research had turned up the above-mentioned Panasonic TZ200 as the way to go, so I wonder if anyone's got their hands on one since this thread?

I am familiar with Panasonic menus/function controls as I have a couple already (a waterproof compact and also a DMC-G2), so unless there's a compelling reason to go with another brand...

Anyway, here's what I want from it (thanks Trig :thumbsup:):

Do you want it to be good (read, better than average) in low light? Ideally (which is the potential stumbling block for the TZ200 from what I've read).
Do you want much of a zoom? Yes
Do you want to take arty (high quality) portraits (of family etc)? Not high on the list of priorities
Do you want to do large prints, or just use online/pc/tablets? Yes to large prints
By point and shoot I assume you want everything automatic, or would you like to be able to adjust the settings a bit (depth of field, shutter speed)? I am very much a novice, so although the ability to tweak settings is attractive (certainly for the future), the reality is that automatic is going to be better for me
How small do you need it to be? I'd like it to slide into a pocket, or at least not be too bulky in a case - otherwise I'd crack out the G2 (which was gifted to me when a relative upgraded and I've always found it a bit bulky and also hard to master as a novice)

Essentially, I've got a holiday coming up, so getting some shots of scenery from temples to tea plantations and beaches to safaris, as well as the more day-to-day holiday shots in the hotels is what I'm after (though will probably settle for the camera phone for inside rather than carry a camera at all times, unless it's really weeny).

Budget – up to about £1000 at a push, but that would have to be the dog's danglies and all I'd need from a camera for the next 10 years.

Many thanks in advance!

I have had a lot of cameras in last few 5 years I guess you could put it down to a 'problem' for me but it does mean I have used quite a bit of kit.

I have had a G1, G3 and G5 all of which are similar to the G2. All produce good results, I would not put them as hard to use or bulky (though it depends on the lense you use). If you think they are too big then that eliminates all DSLRs, a lot of mirrorless cameras (panasonics/olympus plus a number of other makes). Also many of the bridge cameras such as the panasonic FZ1000.

Low light performance will be driven by the f number on the lens (the lower the number the more light it allows), how the camera deals with ISO settings ( i.e. how noisy it will get) , the sensor size and how many megabytes it is divided into.

I have a sony R100 mk 2 its a great camera , it is good at low light f1.8 , it will fit in your pocket but only has a 3 times zoom. I also have a TZ100 its lowest f number is 2.8 , its bigger than sony but a lot smaller than G2 it has 15* zoom. Both have reasonably sized 1" sensors.

£1000 will get you some great cameras....

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
For best prices, go here: https://www.camerapricebuster.co.uk

Read this review of the Sony RX100 VI - especially the final few paragraphs. ;-)

https://www.trustedreviews.com/reviews/sony-rx100-vi

That rx100vi is lovely but having just come out is top whack....£1k plus....if the op doesn't need the long end maybe one of the earlier versions of this camera...although without a grip thy r a bit like a bar of soap :(
I've heard people saying they r keeping their old rx100 range camera because this one hast got as wide an aperture between 24/75

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
I have had a lot of cameras in last few 5 years I guess you could put it down to a 'problem' for me but it does mean I have used quite a bit of kit.

I have had a G1, G3 and G5 all of which are similar to the G2. All produce good results, I would not put them as hard to use or bulky (though it depends on the lense you use). If you think they are too big then that eliminates all DSLRs, a lot of mirrorless cameras (panasonics/olympus plus a number of other makes). Also many of the bridge cameras such as the panasonic FZ1000.

Low light performance will be driven by the f number on the lens (the lower the number the more light it allows), how the camera deals with ISO settings ( i.e. how noisy it will get) , the sensor size and how many megabytes it is divided into.

I have a sony R100 mk 2 its a great camera , it is good at low light f1.8 , it will fit in your pocket but only has a 3 times zoom. I also have a TZ100 its lowest f number is 2.8 , its bigger than sony but a lot smaller than G2 it has 15* zoom. Both have reasonably sized 1" sensors.

£1000 will get you some great cameras....

Do you really need to shoot long in low light? you could try the rx100v or even iv...and save some pennies

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
That rx100vi is lovely but having just come out is top whack....£1k plus....if the op doesn't need the long end maybe one of the earlier versions of this camera...although without a grip thy r a bit like a bar of soap :(
I've heard people saying they r keeping their old rx100 range camera because this one hast got as wide an aperture between 24/75

You missed the point of my post and link. It's a review of the latest, greatest compact camera... and the author is still recommending the TZ range.

It's the obvious recommendation to anyone wanting zoom range and simplicity.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
You missed the point of my post and link. It's a review of the latest, greatest compact camera... and the author is still recommending the TZ range.

Yes I did and I agree...especially the 4k photo function

One thing I would add is that you really need to go get a camera in your hand...how it feels ergonomically means a lot imho

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
Yes I did and I agree...especially the 4k photo function

One thing I would add is that you really need to go get a camera in your hand...how it feels ergonomically means a lot imho

I have the Sony R100mk2 and the TZ100 , both bought second hand off ebay. The panasonic is a bit more complicated as it incorporates the 4k stuff and a number of panasonic 'i' (intelligent) features. These latter make it complicated because when you turn some options on they turn other things off...

Regards image quality in certain circumstances the RX100 is better.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
I have the Sony R100mk2 and the TZ100 , both bought second hand off ebay. The panasonic is a bit more complicated as it incorporates the 4k stuff and a number of panasonic 'i' (intelligent) features. These latter make it complicated because when you turn some options on they turn other things off...

Regards image quality in certain circumstances the RX100 is better.

Ive had a Panasonic lx10/15..good camera but I never got on with the menu system (maybe I was impatient)...whereas I really get on with the Fuji menus...and love my xe3...but then that is not a 'compact camera'

MJsGhost

Remembers
NSC Patron
Jun 26, 2009
East
Thanks for all the comments on this - I went for the TZ200, which is due to arrive today... :)

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here