Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] This is YOUR council tax being spent on this......

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
I am guessing that somebody who knows more about the subject that I do has looked into the problem and come up with a plan to help a group of people in their city. I hope it works out for them and helps them.

If the people whose council tax is being spent in this manner don't like it then they can express their opinion at the next election.

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patron
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton
Well it’s all very cute and if it makes people happy and I have to contribute a little of my HEC then so be it, however I wish CC put the same effort in emptying my wheelie bin which has like the rest of the street missed 2 weeks now because of the the 1mm of slush that fell over a week ago!!!!

Perfidious Albion

Oct 25, 2011
At the end of my tether
I thought when the Greens lost power , Brighton might return to being more normal, but no , it never changes....
" My pronouns" .... Bah! If people can't see that I am a man, to be called Mister , there is something wrong - and it would be with me, not them....

A special Trans Day.... what have we come to?
Nb I don't pay Brighton Council tax either... but I still have a view about the hometown that is special to me.

1234andcounting

Mar 31, 2008
The allocation of money collected for public use, for simplicity's sake we will call it tax, is inevitably complex and is unlikely to meet the needs and objectives of everyone unless a complete hypothecation is introduced. As this is unlikely (although probably theoretically possible) this is why we elect people to take decisions about public expenditure at all levels.

Personally, living within the Metropolitan Police area and contributing through my Council Tax to its revenue, I feel more angered by the fact that huge wads of that money is going to be spent on April 14th because knuckle draggers supporting both sides will be disrupting the peace of law abiding individuals going about their legal business, even more so since professional football has become a multi-billion pound industry in this country.

But each to their own, I guess.

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne
I thought when the Greens lost power , Brighton might return to being more normal, but no , it never changes....
" My pronouns" .... Bah! If people can't see that I am a man, to be called Mister , there is something wrong - and it would be with me, not them....

I don't really "get" it either, I'm a man, dress like a man (albeit a rather scruffy one), identify as a man and have, somewhere under the beer gut, mens bits. It's simple for me. For some people, though, it's not that simple and something like this can help us more conventionally aligned to better understand them and respect them can only be a good thing, can't it ?

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
I don't really "get" it either, I'm a man, dress like a man (albeit a rather scruffy one), identify as a man and have, somewhere under the beer gut, mens bits. It's simple for me. For some people, though, it's not that simple and something like this can help us more conventionally aligned to better understand them and respect them can only be a good thing, can't it ?

Well quite.

These badges are not for everyone. Nor are the cycle lanes. I don't get a bus pass. I chose to move my kids from a school that wasn't succeeding academically but other parents have moved their kids in to it to ease the pressure on them.

Each of the things listed helps a proportion of those we share our City with have a slightly more comfortable life and feel included. It's what society is all about.

Last edited:

CoachVealie

Sep 19, 2011
In its defence - this campaign, despite this media attention, will cost a relative pittance... How much does fewer than a thousand plastic badges cost?

In its opposition - it's a tad unprofessional bringing this tiresome gender debate into the workplace. I'm not sure it promotes tolerance, any more than it does confusion over the matter.

Less

D

Deleted member 22389

Whatever the cost, I think it is a complete waste of time and money, let alone whatever cost the research must have been and also for the wages of the employee who decided that it was relevant to do it in the first place and the ones that had to do the legwork.
There really are more important issues and one can't help but shake 'ones' head when reading such 'piffle'.
Not my council anymore I know, but still an absolute waste of resources, however 'small' they are deemed for whatever council.

I agree. Roads are littered with pot holes.

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
In order to advance awareness and equality and indeed to evolve, sometimes clunky, unpopular and not very attractive tools are used. I personally don't like these badges but it's about a bigger picture.
And it's not my Council tax, I live elsewhere.
Well it IS my council, and I agree with you. I won't be wearing one myself, but fair play to any person who does. No, I don't think it's a waste of money at all.

neilbard

Hedging up
Oct 8, 2013
Tyringham
In its defence - this campaign, despite this media attention, will cost a relative pittance... How much does fewer than a thousand plastic badges cost?

In its opposition - it's a tad unprofessional bringing this tiresome gender debate into the workplace. I'm not sure it promotes tolerance, any more than it does confusion over the matter.

152058328984035503.png Will charge you around £400 for a thousand badges.:thumbsup:

But shouldn't they change their website to Badge Person? :facepalm:

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Well quite.

These badges are not for everyone. Nor are the cycle lanes. I don't get a bus pass. I chose to move my kids from a school that wasn't succeeding academically but other parents have moved their kids in to it to ease the pressure on them.

Each of the things listed helps a proportion of those we share our City with have a slightly more comfortable life and feel included. It's what society is all about.

Correct answers.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I see your location says Melbourne so obviously what Brighton council spends it's money on must be a huge concern to you.

Quite. He doesn’t even live in the country yet he sees fit to comment. Nothing worse than these types of expats.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
Quite. He doesn’t even live in the country yet he sees fit to comment. Nothing worse than these types of expats.
I know right, they don't even live there. Don't worry once Brexit kicks in they'll have to get their own forum.

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
If people want something to complain about which seriously impacts a good number of the population of Brighton & Hove then let's discuss the work on the Sackville Road/ Shoreham road junction. WTF are they doing that is taking so long? Very similar to the work at bottom of Elm Grove which again took ages and to my mind has made the junction less safe. In both cases work has stretched into months and so will have costed a lot and caused tremendous amounts of traffic delays.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here