Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] West Ham fans in turmoil

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
Maybe they should have considered buying up the houses? I remember back in the day thinking how the Albion could have a much bigger stadium if we could have bought up the houses in Goldstone Lane - and no, I've no idea how practical that might have been, or whether it was considered, or whether we could afford it.

I believe the club did consider this, and did buy up some, but not enough. It's such a shame the Goldstone ground was built on such a tight plot of land... I assume the roads were there before the Goldstone was constructed?

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
I believe the club did consider this, and did buy up some, but not enough. It's such a shame the Goldstone ground was built on such a tight plot of land... I assume the roads were there before the Goldstone was constructed?
Again, no idea, but I would imagine the roads were there first.

Sweeney Todd

Apr 24, 2008
Oxford/Lancing
Meanwhile, the Palace fans who did much worse at the Amex continue to attend football matches unhindered.

Papa Lazarou

Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
Again, no idea, but I would imagine the roads were there first.

This site (not sure of the accuracy says it was grazing land prior to the Goldstone being established as part of Goldstone farm. I doubt if there would have been roads of more than 1 side back then. Poor forward planning.

http://www.mybrightonandhove.org.uk/page_id__5742_path__0p115p209p520p.aspx

How it started in 1901

At the turn of the century the site was owned by Goldstone Farm and was used for grazing land for cattle. John Clark leased the site from the Stanford estate and offered the ground to the amateur Hove Football Club for the 1901-02 season.

Clark spent £600 on an eight-foot perimeter fence, with turnstiles in the north-west and south-east corners, plus a covered stand for 400 spectators with changing-rooms. In return for a three-year lease, the football club would pay £100 per annum plus 50 per cent of gate receipts over £200 each season.

Munkfish

May 1, 2006

Papa Lazarou

Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
My old man has a picture of the Goldstone surrounded by Fields. No Goldstone Road, i will try and get a pictutre.

I assume Goldstone Lane and the houses came later. Shame they let then build so close at the SE corner.

Boys 9d

Jan 3, 2012
Lancing
I think I remember the Goldstone Lane houses being built after I first watched the Albion in 1953 but not sure when.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
Lifetime bans for pitch encroachment seem harsh.

In the exciting first Amex season, on two or three occasions lone Albion fans ran on (drunk, probably) mid game, to a mass chorus of w*nker. I thought their bans were for a year or two?

Recall pitch invasions when a lot of goals went in at the Goldstone in the early 90's during the Liam Brady era. Those gates in the north would just get pushed open, don't recall any bans

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
They moved out in the first place becuase they could expand down one side of the ground due to a road and houses behind it.

If that's what the club are saying then they are seriously rewriting history. When they rebuilt the main stand on Green Street, it was constructed behind the old stand and the pitch moved across, so that there would be plenty of space to rebuild the old Chicken Run as well, vastly increasing the capacity. The pitch was only moved half-way across towards the new main stand so that it wouldn't be too far away from anyone, which is why there was so much grass next to the touchlines compared to the old, cramped Upton Park. When the new stand on the Chicken Run side was finished, the stands would all be up close to the pitch again and the capacity would have been around 40,000.

As the image on this link shows, there was plenty of room, even if they had wanted to increase capacity beyond 40,000.

https://www.westhamtillidie.com/posts/2014/03/16/the-east-stand-that-was-never-built

Papa Lazarou

Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
Not sure if this link works but the 1890s OS map shows roads all around. http://maps.nls.uk/view/101435706//

Yes, it does. Zooming in. Yep, with Goldstone house to the East and the road the passes in from of it (Goldstone Lane) the site IS boxed it. Shame they didn't get the plot the other side of the lane to the left... looks like an orchard perhaps. Much bigger.

goldstone.PNG

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
And Newtown Road wasn't really a 'road' then either, more of a track alongside the orchard. Looks as though Goldstone Lane was really developed in the late 1950s

1911.JPG 1911

1932.JPG 1932

1951.JPG 1951

1959.JPG 1959

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
From the Olympic Stadium live on C5 and BT Sport, they’re showing 55,000 in there watching Saracens v Quins. The supporters freely walking round with pints and bottles of beer.

What a contrast from the behaviour at the unhappy Hammers last home game.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here