Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Food] Morrison's Wonky Fruit and Veg.

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
Amazingly the Euro weirdo types seem to only sell fruit & veg that's in season, which isn't perfect but is fresh as it is local.

My council does recycle the plastic fruit & veg containers.

Perhaps I'm biased, as all of my veg on my allotment looks like they've been beaten up, and not photo shopped!

Last edited:

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Interesting report: Taken from AMA Waste

Widely reported statistics last year showed that nearly 70% of bagged salad is thrown away by Tesco rather than sold, and that nearly 40% of their apples and almost half of all bakery items were routinely thrown away.. The figures for other supermarket giants are very similar to Tesco's and make for troubling reading, especially with so much focus in the news on increasing poverty and food bank use throughout the UK.

A large part of the supermarkets ethos is availability, they are petrified of running out of anything because they fear a shopper will abandon them if they don't have the range and availability of a given product. Ergo they overstock rather than sell out, so they have to try to flog it cheap as the best before date arrives or throw it out to maintain the profit margins in store. If you knew every day that there is always bags of salad going half price why pay full price for a pack that lasts a day longer ?.

If a large Tesco ran out of Lemons a day before Shrove Tuesday they would be petrified of shoppers going elsewhere and then preferring a rival store. So, there will always be food waste.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Amazingly the Euro weirdo types seem to only sell fruit & veg that's in season, which isn't perfect but is fresh as it is local.

thats all very well in the Med where you may grow most the year round but northern and central europe dont get alot in season for half the year.

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
I thought this was going to be a thread about Van the Man’s STDs. Disappointed.

Interesting report: Taken from AMA Waste

Widely reported statistics last year showed that nearly 70% of bagged salad is thrown away by Tesco rather than sold, and that nearly 40% of their apples and almost half of all bakery items were routinely thrown away.. The figures for other supermarket giants are very similar to Tesco's and make for troubling reading, especially with so much focus in the news on increasing poverty and food bank use throughout the UK.

If someone could perfect a way of freezing leaf salad satisfactorily they would make a fortune :)

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
You plebs are still buying veg at the 'super'market? My organic veg box delivery contains only the wankiest of items in all manner of shapes.

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patreon
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
Suppose it's the same as people who buy branded cornflakes etc. Paying three times as much for a box. Odd.

I will happily buy wonky fruit n veg, no problem. But cornflakes? Kellogs. Tomato ketchup? Heinz. Baked beans? Heinz.

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo
Some Asda branches have also been selling similar boxes on and off for the past few months.Daft thing is, most people look at them and then go and buy more expensive regularly shaped stuff at greater expense. Nowt so queer as folk, and sign of an over affluent society

Was next to a chap in the coffee aisle that was buying 2 individual packets of a certain brand of coffee. I pointed out to him he could buy the double pack of the same brand, which was just 2 individual packs taped together, for £1.50 cheaper but he said he'd prefer what he had. :facepalm:

Not sure WTF that was all about as it was same brand but just cheaper.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here