Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Food] Morrison's Wonky Fruit and Veg.

Leekbrookgull

Jul 14, 2005
Leek
Don't know if there is a 'catch' here but buy it all the time. Sure a bit off shape/colour but tastes fine. What is wrong with a miss shaped potato when you are making mash ? :thumbsup:

Coalburner

May 22, 2017
Some Asda branches have also been selling similar boxes on and off for the past few months.Daft thing is, most people look at them and then go and buy more expensive regularly shaped stuff at greater expense. Nowt so queer as folk, and sign of an over affluent society

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patreon
May 8, 2007
Toronto
I get fed up of supermarkets only selling massive apples. They may look good but they're far too big and they barely have any flavour. You only seem to be able to buy the small, tangy apples in bags of about 300. I don't understand the need to sell that kind of fruit in pre-packaged bags.

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
Suppose it's the same as people who buy branded cornflakes etc. Paying three times as much for a box. Odd.

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter
Over affluent society, hardly!

A lifetime of being told what fruit & veg 'should' look like is difficult for many to get past. Expectation when it comes to food & drink is extremely powerful.

Many people do have the attitude of 'You only get what you pay for'. Whilst that is true with some purchases, it doesn't apply in this case.
The supermarkets wanted to attract customers to buy all under one roof, and persuade people to buy clean attractive fruit and vegs. Apart from greengrocers, we used to buy from market stalls, where we were scammed with at least one bad apple in the bunch, so to speak.

By selling wonky veg, it means the farmers can sell their misshapen fruit and veg so therefore keep their prices down, instead of only being able to sell the perfect produce. It also keeps the prices down in the supermarkets.

Yes, I do buy wonky veg at Morrisons.

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patreon
May 8, 2007
Toronto
Suppose it's the same as people who buy branded cornflakes etc. Paying three times as much for a box. Odd.

It looks better in the recycling bin.

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
Many people do have the attitude of 'You only get what you pay for'. Whilst that is true with some purchases, it doesn't apply in this case.
The supermarkets wanted to attract customers to buy all under one roof, and persuade people to buy clean attractive fruit and vegs. Apart from greengrocers, we used to buy from market stalls, where we were scammed with at least one bad apple in the bunch, so to speak.

By selling wonky veg, it means the farmers can sell their misshapen fruit and veg so therefore keep their prices down, instead of only being able to sell the perfect produce. It also keeps the prices down in the supermarkets.

Yes, I do buy wonky veg at Morrisons.

It also stops tons and tons of perfectly good food getting binned / never being picked which is a total disgrace when we have so many people relying on food banks.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Fruit and veg shopping is a very big can of worms , it's usually all about freshness and presentation to the extent the fruit and veg varieties are bred not so much for their taste but for their ability to look good on the shelf for as long as possible. Flavour has almost been bred out of so many things it's genuinely sad.The worst thing is those huge 1 Ounce purple strawberry's from Spain, or out of season Raspberries from Chile that taste of nothing but are flown in at huge expense.

Good tasty varieties of staples such as Apples and potatoes are hard to find unless you pay a premium price because they are less productive or amenable to mass production.

Coldeanseagull

Opinionated
Mar 13, 2013
Coldean

Cornflakes MUST be Kelloggs. The others just don't have that 'right' taste. Most other cereals I would eat the sweepings off the floor, as they all taste similar

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
Far too much wastage nowadays

Sent from my SM-A310F using Tapatalk

isnt that an expensive way to buy veg? My wife will not buy prepacked onions, carrots or mushrooms all have to be hand picked from the large containers.

Who wants to go to the effort of battoning their own carrots for the supper with humous dip when you can buy them already done?

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Far too much wastage nowadays

Sent from my SM-A310F using Tapatalk

Interesting report: Taken from AMA Waste

Widely reported statistics last year showed that nearly 70% of bagged salad is thrown away by Tesco rather than sold, and that nearly 40% of their apples and almost half of all bakery items were routinely thrown away.. The figures for other supermarket giants are very similar to Tesco's and make for troubling reading, especially with so much focus in the news on increasing poverty and food bank use throughout the UK.

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter
This.
Nothing wrong in odd shaped fruit n veg.
It's all the arty farty and Euro weirdo types that want convenient straight fruit n veg :shrug:

Amazingly the Euro weirdo types seem to only sell fruit & veg that's in season, which isn't perfect but is fresh as it is local.

My council does recycle the plastic fruit & veg containers.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here