Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] Inspirational Women

dazzer6666

NSC Patreon
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
I know it goes against the intended spirit of the thread (ie: name all the women you hate, or have wanked off to), but I'll be momentarily serious.

Michelle Obama- intelligent, charismatic, eloquent (Presidential, one might say, at least if the bar hadn't been so radically lowered by the present incumbent of course).

Nicola Adams- world champion in a sport previously considered off limits for women, likeable, always comes across incredibly well in media appearances

Jessica Ennis- incredible athlete, principled, smart

Claire Balding- because she's succeeded in a field previously populated almost entirely by men, or women who look like they've walked straight off a catwalk (hello SkySports), and all in the face of continual misogynistic or homophobic comments on social media because her appearance doesn't fit some people's ideas of what a female sports presenter should look like.

There are many more in my world.

In keeping with the theme that seems to have developed, is

Y,N,Y,N

the correct answer ?

edna krabappel

NSC Patreon
Jul 7, 2003
In keeping with the theme that seems to have developed, is

Y,N,Y,N

the correct answer ?

To be fair, I suspect you probably wouldn't be on Nicola or Claire's shag-list either (though I'm sure Michelle and Jess have been waiting all their lives for you to arrive).

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patreon
Jan 3, 2012
Annie Lennox
Maureen Lipman
Barbara Castle.
Betty Boothroyd
Shirley Williams
Mo Mowlem
Michelle Obama
Margaret Hodge.
Victoria Wood

edna krabappel

NSC Patreon
Jul 7, 2003
Diane Abbott's always inspired me to vote for any other political party than her's.

Ah, was wondering how long it would be before somebody piped up with this.

Maybe [MENTION=4417]The Complete Badger[/MENTION] is right: there are some that I probably admire rather than feel out and out inspired by (for example Sue Johnston, Martina Navratilova, Ellen de Generes, Julie Walters, Dame Judi Dench etc). Then again, I might watch some of the next series of Doctor Who for the first time in my adult life, thanks to its new lead, so perhaps she can be classed as inspirational :)

edna krabappel

NSC Patreon
Jul 7, 2003
Surely inspirational in this context has to mean people who have had a genuinely profound impact on your life or have been responsible for a major aspect of it. For example, the poster who mentioned a sociology teacher inspiring him to teach is a perfect case. As are family members or other people you know personally.

But I’m really struggling to believe that the majority of people in the public eye can be truly inspirational. Admired, yes. Inspirational, usually no.

Fair point. I might be approaching this from a slightly different viewpoint, being a woman & all that, but yes, I think you may be right to a degree.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
Mhairi Black is a very impressive young woman, and I am sure an inspiration to some. Unfortunately, I think more young women are inspired by Katie Price.

JOLovegrove

Jan 30, 2012
What a disgusting thread some people (I am guessing all men) are trying to turn this in to. Not only rude, but patronizing, ignorant and incredibly narrow minded. I am always proud to say I support Brighton and am from the local area given how liberal I thought the majority of us were. Threads like this prove that some (not all) Brighton fans are just as bad as all the other neanderthaloic fans of other clubs that we like to ridicule.

I know the word "banter" will be thrown about, but we all know the things said on this thread aren't acceptable. If this was Black Awareness Day or Remembrance Sunday, nothing of this nature would be said.

From reading this, people will probably think I am some extreme "bra burning" feminist, but I am not. I am a 24 year old guy that just thinks on a day such as International Woman's Day, we could all try and be slightly less immature and respect the day for what it is and why we have it.

Any views on this would be interesting!

Jack

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne
Valentina Tereshkova
Hanna Reitsch & Melitta Schenk Gräfin von Stauffenberg
Ada Summers
Rosa Parks
Hedy Lamarr

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
What a disgusting thread some people (I am guessing all men) are trying to turn this in to. Not only rude, but patronizing, ignorant and incredibly narrow minded. I am always proud to say I support Brighton and am from the local area given how liberal I thought the majority of us were. Threads like this prove that some (not all) Brighton fans are just as bad as all the other neanderthaloic fans of other clubs that we like to ridicule.

I know the word "banter" will be thrown about, but we all know the things said on this thread aren't acceptable. If this was Black Awareness Day or Remembrance Sunday, nothing of this nature would be said.

From reading this, people will probably think I am some extreme "bra burning" feminist, but I am not. I am a 24 year old guy that just thinks on a day such as International Woman's Day, we could all try and be slightly less immature and respect the day for what it is and why we have it.

Jack

You are spot on here. Something I was watching yesterday suggested that there was a distinct split between the values towards women under and over 30. The over thirties though more that women should just have to put up with mysogny and sexual harassment because they went through it and that is just how the world is, where as the under thirties were much more, no **** it we don't have to put up with this shit. It wasn't the exact point that they were making but it suggested to me that things were on the improve in terms of expecting women to just put up with shit. Still got a way to go though.

FWIW I know plenty of inspirational women through both work and socially.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010

Jack

Maybe Mumsnet would appeal more to you?

Tyrone Biggums

Jun 25, 2006
Geelong, Australia

Jack

Have you ever considered people are just sick to death of all these stupid theme days?

Plenty of regular women don't give a toss about IWD.

JOLovegrove

Jan 30, 2012
Have you ever considered people are just sick to death of all these stupid theme days?

Plenty of regular women don't give a toss about IWD.

Stupid theme days?

That's fine if people don't care, but you don't see these "regular women" saying stuff like that has been said on this thread.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patreon
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Gina Miller - Fearless campaigner for social justice, and has paid for heavy price for it

You admire a publicity craving media hoare ? She was in it for herself not the public good. Now name the hairdresser that also won the legal action !

Anyway, for me the young lady that was shot by the Taliban for going to school - shamefully I can't remember her name.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here