Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Albion player of the season…. So far….

Albion player of the season…. So far….

• Ryan

Votes: 41 9.7%
  • Duffy

Votes: 3 0.7%
  • Dunk

Votes: 100 23.7%
  • Bong

Votes: 2 0.5%
  • Schelotto

Votes: 2 0.5%
  • Stephens

Votes: 16 3.8%
  • Propper

Votes: 4 0.9%
  • Knockaert

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • March

Votes: 1 0.2%
  • Izquierdo

Votes: 8 1.9%
  • Gross

Votes: 176 41.7%
  • Murray

Votes: 69 16.4%

• Total voters

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Despite the term being used quite a lot in this thread.....
None of the players are currently winning POTS by a country mile

This is the best squad I can remember.
It would be a nightmare even drawing up a shortlist for POTS let alone pick 1 player.

Hard to argue with Dunk, Gross or Murray winning it.
Ryan, Stephens and Propper, all deserving but most likely to be overlooked
Bong, Schelleto, Izquierdo - definite wild card candidates

And that excludes the likes of Knocky, Bruno, Duffy
You couldn't leave them out of the shortlist, could you?

Pretty much this. Most games me and junior struggle to pick a MOTM, let alone a POTS due to the 'team'. It's remarkable, and brilliant.

Withdean11

Feb 18, 2007
Brighton/Hyde
Correct my if i'm wrong, but hasn't Gross been nominated for the Premier League player of the month twice, and Murray once? No other player has been nominated?

If true this tells a story. Whilst all of our players have been fantastic this season, Gross has been, by far, the stand out player.

Withdean and I

Aug 6, 2003
Murray

Alba Badger

Mar 14, 2016
Straight outta Felpham
EDIT, do we think the official voting/award this year will be later because there are no play offs to worry about?

(Looked back and awards were at the end of April)

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
Dunk.

Being a "team" is our greatest strength, his drive and leadership epitomises this. Remember when Ryan saved Adam's penalty at Stoke, Dunk made sure he got that tackle in on Adam and put it behind. What he did next was great, he didn't celebrate he shouted at the team to concentrate. Gross makes the chances, Murray scores the goals, Maty saves the penalties but Dunk stitches it all together with his attitude.

I think you must watch the same games I do. One point to add he has done this consistently through the season whilst most of the other contenders have had a number of 'off' games.

so for me it would be Dunk, then Murray (unbelievable form and getting better) , Gross , Stephens then Duffy the Proper

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
Correct my if i'm wrong, but hasn't Gross been nominated for the Premier League player of the month twice, and Murray once? No other player has been nominated?

If true this tells a story. Whilst all of our players have been fantastic this season, Gross has been, by far, the stand out player.

On his day (and that says it all) he can deliver eye catching performances to the casual observer but there have been games when he has been anonymous . I would bet Dunk, Stephens, Ryan are the first on Hughton's team list.

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
....Ryan has barely made a mistake since the first couple of games

I agree but I suspect his record is good because of the two quality centre backs in front of him. He certainly has improved from the first few games but I don't think he has been as influential as Dunk.

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
I think you must watch the same games I do. One point to add he has done this consistently through the season whilst most of the other contenders have had a number of 'off' games.

so for me it would be Dunk, then Murray (unbelievable form and getting better) , Gross , Stephens then Duffy the Proper
My type of player, the nuts and bolts of the team, nothing flash but allows the others freedom to do what they do.

Any of them would be worthy winners but I love what Dunk brings to the team.

Jul 5, 2003
Bristol
I’m not certain he is (although who am I to question our recruitment team!) I don’t think he has the same work ethic as Groß and doesn’t quite have the same vision. Although he would be reasonable cover I don’t think he is competition as such.

He's a different player- much more selfish, will score more goals but less assists. He works pretty hard. His highlights vs West Hame are worth watching for this, most of his passes don't come off, but he is niggly and very skilful, and a direct goal threat. I guess the question is, can we afford another 10 who is just a copy of gross, or Gross-light in actuality, or do we want someone who offers something different? For me, if Gross is having a bad game, or if we're lacking thrust, Powell offers an interesting alternative. It is, of course, a big step up.

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
He's a different player- much more selfish, will score more goals but less assists. He works pretty hard. His highlights vs West Hame are worth watching for this, most of his passes don't come off, but he is niggly and very skilful, and a direct goal threat. I guess the question is, can we afford another 10 who is just a copy of gross, or Gross-light in actuality, or do we want someone who offers something different? For me, if Gross is having a bad game, or if we're lacking thrust, Powell offers an interesting alternative. It is, of course, a big step up.

A free punt though, and has the pedigree, well worth getting in for me

jeremyfisher

Dec 8, 2013
According to the excellent spreadsheet being complied by someone one here of all our ratings after every match the average ratings we've given the players (up to the West Ham match) are as follows (that's only players with 5 or more appearances).

Player/Appearances/Average rating

Lewis Dunk 26 7.14
Mathew Ryan 26 6.79
Shane Duffy 25 6.6
Gaëtan Bong 13 6.5
Solly March 20 6.41
Davy Pröpper 26 6.4
Pascal Groß 24 6.36
Anthony Knockaert 22 6.32
Bruno 19 6.31
Glenn Murray 18 6.3
Dale Stephens 26 6.29
Markus Suttner 13 6.29
José Izquierdo 16 6.28
Ezequiel Schelotto 9 6.07
Tomer Hemed 12 5.95
Izzy Brown 6 5.34

Here are the details.https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1O2WsPkB_iZ1w1oPFtsTCy2Oe587rb3asC5J5x8RxDhQ/edit#gid=0

Not quite sure how Gross is so far down, but on a match by match basis that's how we've got it!

Coxovi

NSC Patron
Nov 5, 2011
Suisse
That choice was as hard as I can remember it being. We are definitely a squad. I could have easily picked any one from 5.

Eggmundo

U & I R listening to KAOS
Jul 8, 2003
Got to be Gross for me - I would have gone for Dunk but then I always new he would excel in any league he was in. Gross has just appeared from out of the blue and totally owned that position from day one.

Spanish Seagulls

Nov 18, 2007
Ladbroke Grove
The fact that there are so many candidates says it all really, we have a squad of players who are proving to be our best side ever. I went for Gross due to his contributions in the goals that have almost made our best season ever, in my opinion & I have been watching since 1975.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here