Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Albion player of the season…. So far….

Albion player of the season…. So far….

• Ryan

Votes: 41 9.7%
  • Duffy

Votes: 3 0.7%
  • Dunk

Votes: 100 23.7%
  • Bong

Votes: 2 0.5%
  • Schelotto

Votes: 2 0.5%
  • Stephens

Votes: 16 3.8%
  • Propper

Votes: 4 0.9%
  • Knockaert

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • March

Votes: 1 0.2%
  • Izquierdo

Votes: 8 1.9%
  • Gross

Votes: 176 41.7%
  • Murray

Votes: 69 16.4%

• Total voters

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
I think that if you were to ask the players for their choice it would be Stephens by a country mile. he is a players player always doing the hard work but not being noticed as much as many.

He's been very 'in' and 'out' until the last few months IMO, when he has picked up the pace and started working better with Propper.

n1 gull

Jul 25, 2003
Hurstpierpoint
I think its Dunk by a country mile. Gross seems to be getting the plaudits because he's new and has gone from zero to excellent. Dunk has only gone from excellent to out-of-this-world and as such, hasn't been noticed so much.

Zero, really? I think Gross all day long, its just more exciting voting for an attacking player, defenders are just a bit meh, even the really good ones.

Attack Attack Attack!!!

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Or arguably if Dunk hadn't blocked so many shots and made so many important interceptions, we'd still be stuffed.

Teams are built from defence.

I'm not arguing with anyone who would vote for Dunk - he has been outstanding.

I'm struggling to see how anyone could not have Gross in their top 6.

Invicta

NSC Patron
Nov 1, 2013
Kent
Gross. Has scored and created throughout the season. Kept us ticking over in the difficult early days

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Addressing the point about Gross being 'poor' in games, there was an interesting bit about that in the article on, (I want to say Football Rumours, but it's obvs no that)* that website that ran a feature about how important he is to the team. It picked out a couple of things that might be relevant to this discussion: 1) Gross is used to a winter break so could have been suffering from fatigue, or whatever and 2) lots of key players in the team seemed to go through a dip in form at that time, which culminated in not many points from a lot of games in January/February.

Anyway, it's SOOOO difficult to choose, but I would have to go Gross for his contribution at one end of the pitch, but also Dunk for his contribution (not the OGs!) at the other end. But then you've got Stephens in the middle – and Muzza up top*– and THAT is what makes the decision so difficult.

*I'll remember it the minute after I post it, I bet...

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Addressing the point about Gross being 'poor' in games, there was an interesting bit about that in the article on, (I want to say Football Rumours, but it's obvs no that)* that website that ran a feature about how important he is to the team. It picked out a couple of things that might be relevant to this discussion: 1) Gross is used to a winter break so could have been suffering from fatigue, or whatever and 2) lots of key players in the team seemed to go through a dip in form at that time, which culminated in not many points from a lot of games in January/February.

Anyway, it's SOOOO difficult to choose, but I would have to go Gross for his contribution at one end of the pitch, but also Dunk for his contribution (not the OGs!) at the other end. But then you've got Stephens in the middle – and Muzza up top*– and THAT is what makes the decision so difficult.

Football WHISPERS, that's the fella. It's in here: https://whisp.rs/2Fg0ek2

And here's a story from NOVEMBER saying how great he is: https://www.footballwhispers.com/bl...medium=affiliates&utm_source=north-stand-chat

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex

Here you go: https://whisp.rs/2Fg0ek2

"There are a lot of factors to consider when looking at the drop-off in form, especially Groß’s. The German, having played in the Bundesliga, was used to a winter break. Here in England, they don’t exist. His performances may have tailed off due to fatigue or burnout.

Furthermore, a number of his team-mates are also playing in the Premier League for the first time. A season of inconsistency was to be expected. It just so happened that a number of Albion players were out of sorts at the same time."

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex

I can sum it up quicker.

If the wingers are playing behind the full-backs Gross is going to be 'poor' because he has 3 players marking him out of the game.

Lifelong Supporter

Aug 4, 2009
Burgess Hill
I think the poll result is sound to be honest. However I would go with Murray because he is putting the ball in the net and that is the hardest thing to do in the game, particularly at the level we are at.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
He's been very 'in' and 'out' until the last few months IMO, when he has picked up the pace and started working better with Propper.

IMHO he hit the season running from day one and has just got better and better as the season has progressed but much of what he does to make space for others goes unnoticed by supporters as it is nothing spectacular.

Geoffbn2

Feb 2, 2014
It has to be Dunk, His leadership on the field, his presence in defence and the way he can deliver the ball up field to the feet of the wingers:albion2:

Guy Fawkes

The voice of treason
Sep 29, 2007
Cracking logic.

So... given the contention when Gross is poor, the team is poor. And from that, that makes him our best player? So even though he has been poor at times, you're happy to vote for that. Fair enough.

As has been pointed out, we all have our reasons for choosing a given player. If we had an award for 'Potential Player of the Season If He Had Played Well Enough', Gross would walk it. But as it is, it's enough that his potential wins the day.

Think this might be worth a read as it doesn't really back up this slump in his performance that you keep referring to
https://www.footballwhispers.com/bl...medium=affiliates&utm_source=north-stand-chat

His early season form of three goals and five assists in his first 12 matches helped Hughton guide Brighton to a mid-table position. They looked comfortable there and more than deserved it. However, in his next 15 starts he scored just twice and failed to register an assist.

In those 15 matches, the Seagulls picked up just 12 points and were no longer soaring above the relegation scrap. Instead they were part of it and went from picking up 1.25 points per game to managing just 0.8.

It might not seem like much but over the course of a season that’s a difference of 17 points.

Mid-season slump
There are a lot of factors to consider when looking at the drop-off in form, especially Groß’s. The German, having played in the Bundesliga, was used to a winter break. Here in England, they don’t exist. His performances may have tailed off due to fatigue or burnout.

Furthermore, a number of his team-mates are also playing in the Premier League for the first time. A season of inconsistency was to be expected. It just so happened that a number of Albion players were out of sorts at the same time.

However, despite his apparent drop-off in form, he was still posting impressive underlying stats. Using Understat, you see can see his xA90 (expected goals assisted) is still in the top 15 in the Premier League.

Groß’s xA90 score of 0.31 is better than Cesc Fàbregas‘ (0.3), Dele Alli‘s (0.29), Mohamed Salah‘s (0.26) and even Eden Hazard‘s total (0.25)

The high-quality chances he kept creating just weren’t being finished off and that’s through no fault of his own. However, he’s still outperforming his xA tally for the season.

Edit:
Hadn't read far enough into the thread to see that this has already partially been referenced to by previous posters

Last edited:

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo
I think you can make a decent case for Ryan, Dunk, Stephens, Propper, Gross, Murray and even Izquierdo if he continues in his current form.

Ryan after a shaky start has grown into the league and is becoming the goalkeeper I hoped he would but feared he wouldn't after the first few games.

Dunk has been great pretty much every game.

Stephens and Propper have developed into a fine midfield partnership, Stephens stepping up and being as rock solid and dependable in the Premier league as he was in the championship and Propper realy getting to grips with his new role in his new team in a new league in a new country.

Gross has been a revelation. A beautiful player to watch that conjures up chnce after chance. He fires, the team fires.

Murray has perhaps been an even bigger revelation. I was confident he could do a job in the premier league but his goals have powered us into the top half of the table and to within a whisker of safety.

Izquierdo has taken his time to settle but now he has...what a player!

Ultimately though for me it comes down to a dust up between Dunk and Gross. As The Large One states Dunk has been consistently good game in game out whereas Gross has had a mid season dip in form before coming roaring back. On the flip side as good as Dunk has been his place in the team could be effectively covered by Goldson and/or Henemeir. We might not be quite as good but between them they'd do a decent job of filling in. Gross is irreplaceable. He's the catalyst for us as an attacking unit and without him we'd be ****ed. Without Dunk we'd be worse off but not ****ed. Whichever one of them wins it deserves it and whichever one misses out can justifiably be hard done by.

Also, who would have thought that you could name half a dozen or more players with a realistic shot at being player of the year and none of them are last years player of the year/championship player of the year. and no Duffy either despite him being mostly excellent again this season(he's just not been as good as Dunk...).

We are a proper team. I wonder who will get Palace's payer of the year...

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here