Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Albion player of the season…. So far….

Albion player of the season…. So far….

• Ryan

Votes: 41 9.7%
  • Duffy

Votes: 3 0.7%
  • Dunk

Votes: 100 23.7%
  • Bong

Votes: 2 0.5%
  • Schelotto

Votes: 2 0.5%
  • Stephens

Votes: 16 3.8%
  • Propper

Votes: 4 0.9%
  • Knockaert

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • March

Votes: 1 0.2%
  • Izquierdo

Votes: 8 1.9%
  • Gross

Votes: 176 41.7%
  • Murray

Votes: 69 16.4%

• Total voters

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Murray.

When the summer transfer window shut and we'd failed to sign a striker the bookies had us most likely side to get relegated. Since then Hemed and Baldock's goal output has been negligible. Murray's goals got us to the transfer window, but since signing Locadia and Ulloa he has kicked on again - it is a remarkable story.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Shirley Ryan is too short to be considered PotS.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Murray.

When the summer transfer window shut and we'd failed to sign a striker the bookies had us most likely side to get relegated. Since then Hemed and Baldock's goal output has been negligible. Murray's goals got us to the transfer window, but since signing Locadia and Ulloa he has kicked on again - it is a remarkable story.
Oh god I'm all angry again.

Reading that my instant thought was:-

'Well Tomer was looking like he'd get his groove on, until that 'stamp'.

Matey chops will be playing for Arsenal, this weekend, after committing an assault.
Tomer had to sit out 3 games, which, in hindsight, pretty much ended his season, for not stamping on a Newcastle player.

:angry:

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
Gross! I've developed a serious man crush on that man. Just spend 10 mins watching him, exclusively him, and it really is poetry in motion. He moves around the park so easily, always looks balanced when the ball comes to him, and he can seemingly do whatever he wants with it .... EFFORTLESSLY.

Truly one of the very best players I've ever seen in a Brighton shirt.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I have a sneaking suspicion that Izquierdo could climb up the rankings by the end of the season, now we are playing him like he should be played. The only player we have who terrorises the opposition.

As things stand Dunk, Stephens and Murray but Gross, Bong and Ryan are right up there too.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Like I said - it's a poll for Player of the Season.

And over the whole season, there are times when he has been poor. That's not an accusation I could level at Dunk, Duffy or Ryan, for example.

So if someone had 37 excellent games but 1 poor one, you'd place them behind someone who had 38 average-to-good ones?

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
Murray.

While I don't disagree, I do think there should be an acknowledgement of Hemed in the early part of the season when Murray wasn't available. He came up with a couple of crucial goals against WBA and Newcastle. Not to say he's even remotely in contention but he's done more than Baldock and I think is overlooked a little.

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
Like I said - it's a poll for Player of the Season.

And over the whole season, there are times when he has been brilliant. But then there are times when he has been poor, absent or anonymous. That's not an accusation I could level at Dunk, Duffy or Ryan, for example.

Ryan (in most people's opinion) had a shaky start. Duffy had a real dip in confidence and form quite recently, and people were clamouring for Goldson to replace him. Dunk, yes, he's been consistent all season, so he makes the cut. The other 2 fail the 'Large One' consistency test.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
No. But then, I'm not sure of the point you're making.

You are excluding Gross from your reckoning because, in your assessment, he has had some poor games.

I appreciate the example I presented was an extreme one, but I'm curious to know at what point by your measure a consistent player is usurped by one who has a mix of excellence but some lesser performances.

(For the record, Dunk would be very much in my reckoning, but I wouldn't exclude Gross either. Stephens and Propper would be nowhere near.)

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Ryan (in most people's opinion) had a shaky start. Duffy had a real dip in confidence and form quite recently, and people were clamouring for Goldson to replace him. Dunk, yes, he's been consistent all season, so he makes the cut. The other 2 fail the 'Large One' consistency test.

My central point is that I feel so many people are voting for Gross on the back of recent performances and/or his stats. Maybe they're not, and feel he has contributed more than Dunk has done. Fair enough.

Meanwhile, I'm struggling to think of Dunk having had a poor game, while mostly having excellent games. Ryan's whoopsies were for 2-3 matches, Duffy similar. IMO Stephens and Propper have had far better games than people give them credit for. Gross' poor performances have been way more than that.

One of the reasons (not the only reason of course) we had a dip in results mid-season was Gross' poor performances. When he's good, he's brilliant, but when he's poor, he's anonymous.

martin tyler

Jan 25, 2013
Going by statistics Groß is one of the most influential players in the league when it comes to creating chances on par with players the rest of the world rave about. For me this year the management team have been spot on popping him at number 10. Without him I’m not sure we would be anywhere near the position we are now.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
You are excluding Gross from your reckoning because, in your assessment, he has had some poor games.

I appreciate the example I presented was an extreme one, but I'm curious to know at what point by your measure a consistent player is usurped by one who has a mix of excellence but some lesser performances.

(For the record, Dunk would be very much in my reckoning, but I wouldn't exclude Gross either. Stephens and Propper would be nowhere near.)

Dunk (the consistent player) isn't usurped by Gross for performances, and so gets my Player of the Season vote. Gross for me has been inconsistent. Either brilliant or anonymous.

For what they've evidently been asked to do, Stephens and Propper have done an excellent job. The analysis Alan Shearer highlighted on MOTD2 is something they've been doing all season.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here