Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Albion player of the season…. So far….

Albion player of the season…. So far….

• Ryan

Votes: 41 9.7%
  • Duffy

Votes: 3 0.7%
  • Dunk

Votes: 100 23.7%
  • Bong

Votes: 2 0.5%
  • Schelotto

Votes: 2 0.5%
  • Stephens

Votes: 16 3.8%
  • Propper

Votes: 4 0.9%
  • Knockaert

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • March

Votes: 1 0.2%
  • Izquierdo

Votes: 8 1.9%
  • Gross

Votes: 176 41.7%
  • Murray

Votes: 69 16.4%

• Total voters

JBizzle

Apr 18, 2010
Seaford
This is SO hard this year. I went Gross, but Murray, Stephens, Ryan and Dunk (maybe also Propper) all could feasibly be in with a shout.

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
Can't believe what Lewis Dunk has to do to win Player of the Season.

Player of the Season often seems to be decided on who is in form at voting time. Gross is in form at present, and playing brilliantly, but there have been long gaps during the season where he was ineffective, slow and makeweight baggage (first 70 mins against Swansea the most recent example). He wouldn't even make my top three.

You can count Dunk's follies this season on the fingers of a sloth; he has been good or brilliant virtually the whole season. And now a superb captain leading by example.

Gross not in the top 3? One of the most productive players in the league? I find that hard to believe. Agree re Dunk, absolutely superb yet AGAIN and to my mind should be the Albion player that deserves a spot in the England squad for the summer (sadly he'll miss out).

The Gem

Oct 17, 2008
I did a thread like this a while back but some more water has passed under the bridge since then so thought I'd lighten up my dull little life with another poll.

Would have been good to see the last results too.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
Can't believe what Lewis Dunk has to do to win Player of the Season.

Player of the Season often seems to be decided on who is in form at voting time. Gross is in form at present, and playing brilliantly, but there have been long gaps during the season where he was ineffective, slow and makeweight baggage (first 70 mins against Swansea the most recent example). He wouldn't even make my top three.

You can count Dunk's follies this season on the fingers of a sloth; he has been good or brilliant virtually the whole season. And now a superb captain leading by example.

The problem (if you can call it that) is that Dunk has been exceptional for three seasons now. Possibly four if you count him being our standout player in the Hyppia season. We expect him to be top class because it appears to be his default setting.

By contrast, nobody knew what to expect from Gross. Hence lower expectations (especially early on) meant he exceeded them more often.

I also didn't want to have to choose between Dunk & Duffy, as the partnership has been immense. If there was an option to vote for them as a pairing then it'd win every time for me.

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
Went for Gross - he's is the driver of everything we do going forward. Even during our poor run he was still the hardest worker on the team.

It was close though as Murray, Ryan, Dunk, Bong and Stephens have also been excellent for the majority of the time.

Seagull1989

Oct 31, 2011
Gross - I think he is the only player in our team who is irreplaceable and if he got a long spell out injured we would not be anywhere near where we are now.
His goals, assists and all round play tracking back has been excellent , even Murray acknowledged he would not have so many goals if it wasnt for players like Gross. Bargain of the season

brightn'ove

cringe
Apr 12, 2011
London
Pascal Gross.

Best player I've seen play for the Albion in my lifetime. (Vicente was the most talented, but not as effective.)

Closely followed by the rest of the squad who have all been fantastic.

TSB

Captain Hindsight
Jul 7, 2003
Lansdowne Place, Hove
I went for Bongy.

No-one ever beats him.
Who would have believed he'd be such a quality player at this level?

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
Gross. Runners-up: Dunk, Ryan, Murray.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Or it might be a possibility that Gross has been involved in the most goals (13 - 5 goals, 8 assists)

I guess we all have our reasons for voting for a given player - but for it to be stat-based alone? Nothing like a good enough reason for me. Even if it was, how many has Dunk stopped...?

Gross not in the top 3? One of the most productive players in the league? I find that hard to believe. Agree re Dunk, absolutely superb yet AGAIN and to my mind should be the Albion player that deserves a spot in the England squad for the summer (sadly he'll miss out).

In no particular order - Ryan, Murray, Duffy, Stephens, Propper and Dunk himself would be in my reckoning. But Dunk would come out on top.

The problem (if you can call it that) is that Dunk has been exceptional for three seasons now. Possibly four if you count him being our standout player in the Hyppia season. We expect him to be top class because it appears to be his default setting.

By contrast, nobody knew what to expect from Gross. Hence lower expectations (especially early on) meant he exceeded them more often.

I also didn't want to have to choose between Dunk & Duffy, as the partnership has been immense. If there was an option to vote for them as a pairing then it'd win every time for me.

Exceptional for three seasons (including this one where has stepped up superbly) - and still can't win it, and one would assume that someone wins Player of the Season by being exceptional. The season he should have won it (Calderon got the nod), the winner was very embarrassed (without any false modesty), citing that Dunk should have won it.

Gross had played in the top division before, Dunk hadn't. But for me, it's not about how unexpected a player's ability is - it's the actual ability itself.

Put it this way, bearing mind mind Dunk has not had a bad game for us all season, and Gross really has - several times - how many people would have voted for Gross in, say, mid-January? Seriously.

Last edited:

Grombleton

Surrounded by <div>s
Dec 31, 2011
My top three would be (in no real order)

Gross
Dunk
Ryan

Tbf though, if anyone of those three or Stephens/Murray/Propper/Izzy won it then i wouldn't be disappointed.

Gun to my head though? Gross.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Massively tricky call this season for sure.

Voted Dunk. He's one of our own and has thrown his body on the line time and time again for the cause all season. Again.

Ignore the OGs. Goes with the territory.

Utmost respect :bowdown:

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
In no particular order - Ryan, Murray, Duffy, Stephens, Propper and Dunk himself would be in my reckoning. But Dunk would come out on top.

Gross doesn't make your top 6? Blimey. It IS a game of opinions, isn't it!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here