Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] 'John Lewis staff bonus cut again'

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
More a case of company policy. I work very hard already, thanks.

So did many of us. I suspect you are responding to one who leapt with glee with that Tebbitt creature suggested that all unemployed people should just get on their bikes, so you're wasting your breath/posting time.

synavm

May 2, 2013
The John Lewis staff ownership model is precisely what we need to see more of in society.

I've personally wondered whether the PLC model could be tweaked to accomodate mandatory employee ownership schemes- that wouldn't mean majority ownership, but x amount of shares belong to employees.

Blackadder

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 6, 2003
Haywards Heath
They are a very popular store.

My nephew worked in one before he went to Uni. Very good company to work for (If you are in retail).

We aren't exactly well served by stores in Sussex though.

Lower West Stander

Mar 25, 2012
Back in Sussex
The John Lewis staff ownership model is precisely what we need to see more of in society.

I've personally wondered whether the PLC model could be tweaked to accomodate mandatory employee ownership schemes- that wouldn't mean majority ownership, but x amount of shares belong to employees.

Many do.

Mine included.

Grombleton

Surrounded by <div>s
Dec 31, 2011
I don’t think I’ve ever been in a John Lewis. I certainly haven’t bought anything from them. Do people even visit department stores these days? Surely it’s a matter of time before they’re gone?

I don't think its just John Lewis, but also Waitrose who are part of the same group.

It's tough out there in the retail world - I say that as a Sainsbury's employee, even though we have been given a pay increase, there's a lot of caveats.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
John Lewis is a magnificent store, particularly for homewares and furniture, and a wonderful British institution.

I'm now going to browse their range of not-inexpensive desks in order to do my bit for their partnership bonus for this trading period.

This.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Fair enough. I wasn’t criticising them, I genuinely have no real idea of what they even sell, let alone how good they are.

I might trust this thread and pop in that one at Chichester the next time I pass on the A27 to see what the fuss is all about!

Be aware, it's a bit like turning left on a plane for the first time. You are setting yourself up for spending considerably more in the future than you otherwise would. Not in a bad way though.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Many do.

Mine included.

It makes a difference doesn't it? Seems to be more US companies that do it but we have an employee share save scheme.

You can put up to 15% of your salary each month that goes into a pot, at the end of every 6 months they use that money to buy shares at 20% off the market price that day which you can then keep or sell. So the minimum we earn is 20% (before tax) but given this is meant to mean you work harder towards the company goals to drive the share price up and potentially make more money. Good model

SouthCoastOwl

May 23, 2013
Vaux Sur Seine
Working here in France I count myself very lucky, I get two bonuses.

The first is related to my personal performance during the year. The second is payable, under French law to all employees, if your employer makes a profit in the previous financial year.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
I can see that my point is being missed.

How do I delete this thread?

its a valid point. its very odd how John Lewis results are reported, with head line on staff bonus rather than the company performance, as would be the case for about every other business.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
A great company. One of the few department stores to retain loyalty from its customers as well as treating its staff well. A 5% bonus when profits are down 70% is pretty decent.

Indeed, the likes of many of the other big supermarkets would immediately sack 000,s of staff. My company was looking for volunteers to work the Bank Holidays this year and on the notice it said " If you work a Bank Holiday you will be credited with an additional days holiday. I thought that was some sort of mistake as BH's are usually double time or at least time and a half, so I queried it and was told " No, that's right, you get nothing extra for BH's now " ..... isn't business marvellous ?

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patreon
Jan 3, 2012
SECOND headline on the BBC website.

Firstly, is this actually a news story worthy of being anywhere near the top of the website?

Secondly, ONLY a 5% bonus? Oh my heart bleeds! Bonus - just looking up in dictionary - oh, it's extra money on top of a salary.
As somebody who works for Waitrose on a very part-time basis, 5% if not a lot is even less.

And it has been a biggish story on the day it is announced for years. It's a major retail operator with a multi-billion £ turnover, and I think it's seen as something of an indicator of the state of retail...... times is 'Ard.

Meade's Ball

Jul 7, 2003
Hither (sometimes Thither)
I went to John Lewis a few times to try out prams. It's a little bit Dawn of the Deady at times when you go and a series of chaps on their own wheel these empty buggies slowly and methodically up and down aisles to get the feel of them, stopping to imagine a baby therein (one to devour with love as opposed to a mildly sating snack).
On that floor in the Oxford St branch you can also stop in for a very nice Lebanese breakfast. I'm an any time of day halloumi guy.

kjgood

SECOND headline on the BBC website.

Firstly, is this actually a news story worthy of being anywhere near the top of the website?

Secondly, ONLY a 5% bonus? Oh my heart bleeds! Bonus - just looking up in dictionary - oh, it's extra money on top of a salary.

I get why you originally started the thread, it isnt really something of that much public interest, but please consider that for some a bonus scheme is part of the contractual benefits that include salary and possibly, car, private healthcare etc.etc. Then it is not extra money on top of salary, it is 'Part of salary and other benefits'.

I have a contracted bonus based on the fortunes of the company plus a basic salary and other addons, if the company do well so do I, if they dont do so well , neither do I.

Iggle Piggle

Sep 3, 2010
I did some work for JL a few years back. Absolute pleasure to do business with unlike some of the other major retailers. Most large Corporates have a tiny percentage bonus for the lower paid staff and massive bonuses for the Senior management. I like the way they are a proper Corporate social responsible company (Apologies to the bellcheese thread for my use of lingo there) unlike the majority of others who pay lip service to it.

As a bonus, There's also some proper fit women in my local Waitrose.

DavidRyder

Jul 23, 2013
I get why you originally started the thread, it isnt really something of that much public interest, but please consider that for some a bonus scheme is part of the contractual benefits that include salary and possibly, car, private healthcare etc.etc. Then it is not extra money on top of salary, it is 'Part of salary and other benefits'.

I have a contracted bonus based on the fortunes of the company plus a basic salary and other addons, if the company do well so do I, if they dont do so well , neither do I.

And I get where you are coming from too. I can see that bonuses can be something that people would treat as part of an annual income, and indeed something they rely on each year. So yes, a decrease could impact those people. TBH I wish I hadn't started the thread, maybe I didn't make my thoughts clear on Post 1, but I was never attacking people with bonuses. It was really how the headline was saying that a 5% bonus percentage for JL staff isn't quite as good as the year before's (although 5% still is very good IMO). And I just wasn't sure why it was news. Anyway, I've probably come across as a pillock from Post 1 to this post - note to self David, think about what threads you start...UTA!

Weststander

NSC Patreon
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
As somebody who works for Waitrose on a very part-time basis, 5% if not a lot is even less.

And it has been a biggish story on the day it is announced for years. It's a major retail operator with a multi-billion £ turnover, and I think it's seen as something of an indicator of the state of retail...... times is 'Ard.

I like John Lewis and Waitrose - quality and the best customer service.

They're victims of the groceries squeeze on prices (Aldi and Lidl really do shave £100's off of the monthly family groceries bill) and with John Lewis the internet. Amazon has made itself the first, easy, port of call for almost anything. It's often not the cheapest by a long way, but working people have busy lives and can't be bothered to shop around.

I really hope John Lewis arrests this decline and survives long term.

Mellor 3 Ward 4

Jul 27, 2004
saaf of the water
Be aware, it's a bit like turning left on a plane for the first time. You are setting yourself up for spending considerably more in the future than you otherwise would. Not in a bad way though.

Not always the case Bozza, with their 'price promise'. Of you're buying something electrical/ with a guarantee which they will include, whilst other shops don't.

There's an excellent JL in Horsham now - so good that one of our wingers was in there last week buying furniture, and a former manager in there the week before buying a TV

No - I don't work there.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Not always the case Bozza, with their 'price promise'. Of you're buying something electrical/ with a guarantee which they will include, whilst other shops don't.

There's an excellent JL in Horsham now - so good that one of our wingers was in there last week buying furniture, and a former manager in there the week before buying a TV

No - I don't work there.

With branded goods, absolutely. Their price promise/extended guarantee on electrical items should make them a first port of call for most.

They do a lot of very nice stuff, such as furniture, that won't be covered by that as it's essentially own-branded.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here