Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Statistics - I hate statistics!

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
If I were you [MENTION=16171]InsaneSociety[/MENTION], I'd be asking for a moderator to delete this thread before [MENTION=4019]Triggaaar[/MENTION] spots it, and start another one. Get the new one right.

He'll unleash hell and fury upon you for this series of, quite frankly, schoolboy errors.
I'm in need of help here (special help too I know), what errors would they be?

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
At the beginning of the season, I predicted that the most you can expect from those games is probably 6 points, and as you see, the average is well under 5.
Right, but there's a quarter of the season to go, so the average should be close to 6.

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
Seriously guys, we need games played plus 5% to stay up, I think we're all agreed on that even though I feel 36 will do it. So 38 games plus 5% (2.4pts) = 40.4, I'll take the point 4 as our goal diff. We have 34 points and are sitting 10th FFS, two wins does it, come on, jump on the happy bus we're in a great place and one that you'd have taken on Day 1 of the season.

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
You don't even agree with it!

Of course we would :)

Fair point, most people express that 40 pts is the number of points needed to ensure safety, although I feel 36 would do it.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Fair point, most people express that 40 pts is the number of points needed to ensure safety, although I feel 36 would do it.
Yeah the 40 points thing has been in the media recently as an old figure used when there were more teams in the league. Also when managers talk of a target, it's a bit silly if they're aiming for 37, as 37 is normally enough, only for them to then get relegated because a couple more is needed in a particular season.

So 40 points is a good target, and teams feel a bit safer then (although teams have still been relegated with 40 in the past). But I'd guess we won't quite need 40 this season.

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
Yeah the 40 points thing has been in the media recently as an old figure used when there were more teams in the league. Also when managers talk of a target, it's a bit silly if they're aiming for 37, as 37 is normally enough, only for them to then get relegated because a couple more is needed in a particular season.

So 40 points is a good target, and teams feel a bit safer then (although teams have still been relegated with 40 in the past). But I'd guess we won't quite need 40 this season.

Agreed, 36.6 has been the average requirement, I do think, with our goal difference, 36 would see us safe BUT I'm happier to bank 40!! (I think we'll end up with 43 anyway.)

Mar 24, 2010
Tunbridge Wells
I acknowledge there are still a few mistakes, but after the first were alerted, I've spent all day getting it right. My main mistake was not updating properly after Sat/Sun?Mon games, but I'm confident it is correct now.

I've also done a table against the top 6 which contains all the scores. No school boy errors, but if I have made one, please tell me. I'll update both tables and publish here each Monday until the end of the season. Screen Shot 2018-03-08 at 18.02.47.png

I did say it was worthless didn't I?:lol:

warmleyseagull

Apr 17, 2011
Beaminster, Dorset
Right, but there's a quarter of the season to go, so the average should be close to 6.

To be precise, 123 matches played vs top 6. By end of season 168 matches played. Based on expected value 6 for the season, the mean points achieved to date should be 123/168*6 = 4.39, close to achieved to date as OP has shown.

Dick Head

⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Jan 3, 2010
Quaxxann
I'm going to really annoy you now - but you've still missed the 'Pts VS top 6' for Newcastle... They've got 4 points from top 6 - 1 from Liverpool and 3 from United..

So much for precision and accuracy.

larus

To be precise, 123 matches played vs top 6. By end of season 168 matches played. Based on expected value 6 for the season, the mean points achieved to date should be 123/168*6 = 4.39, close to achieved to date as OP has shown.

OMG!! Do you know what you’ve done man? Really?
[MENTION=4019]Triggaaar[/MENTION] is the Lord Pedant. You’ve been pedantic to him. This could be serious - I’d advise taking precautions. Don’t walk home alone, it’s just not worth the risk.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Right, so you're agreeing with me, yes?

looney

Banned
Jul 7, 2003
I know this is worthless really, but it does indicate how teams outside the top six perform against each other, and come the end of the season, might be relevant?

The figure in the bottom right hand corner is the average number of points taken from the 'Big 6'

At the beginning of the season, I predicted that the most you can expect from those games is probably 6 points, and as you see, the average is well under 5.

Table correct after Crippled Alice Vs Munchester UntiedView attachment 94964
I'll update this after each Albion game.

Those numbers cant be right, the points gap between us and palace is 7, theyve got one more point of top 6 which makes it 8 not 4.

Last edited:

warmleyseagull

Apr 17, 2011
Beaminster, Dorset
OMG!! Do you know what you’ve done man? Really?
[MENTION=4019]Triggaaar[/MENTION] is the Lord Pedant. You’ve been pedantic to him. This could be serious - I’d advise taking precautions. Don’t walk home alone, it’s just not worth the risk.

Trig and I have this occasional flirtatious fling on the pedant dance floor. It’s nothing serious, just a bit of fun. I can’t keep up with his prodigious output.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here