Votes: 1 1.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Oct 25, 2003
here it is, the group of death....

Vicente
Nationality: Spanish (38 caps 3 goals)
Position: Midfielder
Albion Career: 2011-13 (32 apps 5 goals)
Flair Profile: Insanely talented. Possible attitude issues. Mystique. The ultimate transfer saga
Story so far: 1st in Group D (62 votes)
Vicente+Brighton+Hove+Albion+v+Chelsea+Pre+3NyXCWrL4lKl.jpg

Paddy McCourt
Nationality: Northern Irish (18 caps 2 goals)
Position: not really sure? Midfielder or something?
Albion Career: 2014-15 (10 apps 0 goals)
Flair profile: Enigmatic "retro" style player. No end product. Scruffy. No positional sense whatsoever
Story so far: 2nd in Group A (56 votes)
IMG_20140922_230829.JPG

Bas Savage
Nationality: English
Position: Striker
Albion Career: 2007-08 (36 apps 9 goals)
Flair Profile: Great celebration. Unorthodox playing style. He had blue hair for a bit. Once moonwalked in front of grieving relatives. Ridiculously high profile cult status
Story so far: 3rd in Group B (23 votes)
bas-savage-moonwalk-compilation-635477.jpg

Jonny Dixon
Nationality: Spanish
Position: Striker/film and television producer and director
Albion Career: 2008-09 (5 apps 0 goals)
Flair Profile: Minor celebrity status. Ultimate "punching above weight" WAG. Fantastic appearance. Great post-football life
Story so far: 4th in Group C (10 votes)
0,,10433~3548906,00-2.jpg

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Savage and McCourt in the SAME group?! Evil.

Exile

Objective but passionate
Aug 10, 2014
Not going to try to explain or justify my vote here. Its Paddy. It just IS.

#VoteMcCourt

Kazenga <3

Test 805843
Feb 28, 2010
Team c/r HQ
While I really do like an underdog in these sort of competitions Vicente actually ticks an awful lot of boxes:

-Ballon D'or nominated and sheer randomness of world class player turning up in English second division
-Believed he was injured even when he wasn't
-50 yard run, cruyff turn, bend into top corner with weak foot
-The best goal never scored
-Beat a team on his own and won MOM with a 20 minute cameo
-Mullett action
-Shirt off celebration
-Described the manager as the worst person he'd ever met

All that being said there is still something about Bas Savage moonwalking all over someone's grave (metaphorically speaking) (and yes I know it was not meant in that way)

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Voted Savage as it would be an UTTER disgrace if he went out at the group stages.

Oct 25, 2003
Pretty sure I saw Paddy McCourt “helping the police with their enquiries” the other day after shoplifting a bottle of Strongbow

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MattBackHome

Jul 7, 2003
Group of death deserves serious thought, so here's mine, category by category.

Wasted Talent - tie between Paddy (who should have gone on to far greater things) and Dixon (who packed it in to work on Love Island)
Playing Style - maximum points for both Paddy and El Punal
On Field Antics - Baz takes this round for moonwalking in studs
Off Field Antics - Dating HOLLY VALANCE = 10 points and a clear win for Dixon
Appearance - Strong effort from Jonny (the knits, the hats, the shades, the stylised photography) but no-one does effortless Derelicte like Paddy McCourt.

Therefore my vote goes to the Derry Pele.

Oct 25, 2003
Bas Savage memory:

Hartlepool were grieving the loss of one of their players not long before the game. Very somber mood at the game, team mates clearly upset etc

The family of the deceased player were sat in the main stand at Victoria Park. For those who haven’t been there, this means that they were pretty close to the pitch- it’s not a big ground....more on that later

With the game poised at 1-1, Bas Savage, who at the time was a bit in and out of the team, sharing the second striker position with Alex Revell generally, picks up the ball on the left wing.

Savage beats what seemed like the entire Hartlepool team (realistically probably like 2 players) in what was the least controlled, slowest and most awkward looking solo run ever and finds himself on the edge of the box and beautifully curls it into the bottom corner to win the game for the Albion

You’d think that given the circumstances Savage may have toned his celebration down somewhat- nope

Savage runs over to the dug out- roughly 3 metres from the grieving relatives and unleashes his famous moonwalk celebration (for the record, I very much doubt he purposefully aimed to antagonise anyone).

This caused absolute carnage. I remember Tommy Elphick getting into a fight, Dean Wilkins had a cup of tea thrown at him and the club had to publicly apologise to Hartlepool

All because Savage loved to moonwalk

Exile

Objective but passionate
Aug 10, 2014
Bas Savage memory:

Hartlepool were grieving the loss of one of their players not long before the game. Very somber mood at the game, team mates clearly upset etc

The family of the deceased player were sat in the main stand at Victoria Park. For those who haven’t been there, this means that they were pretty close to the pitch- it’s not a big ground....more on that later

With the game poised at 1-1, Bas Savage, who at the time was a bit in and out of the team, sharing the second striker position with Alex Revell generally, picks up the ball on the left wing.

Savage beats what seemed like the entire Hartlepool team (realistically probably like 2 players) in what was the least controlled, slowest and most awkward looking solo run ever and finds himself on the edge of the box and beautifully curls it into the bottom corner to win the game for the Albion

You’d think that given the circumstances Savage may have toned his celebration down somewhat- nope

Savage runs over to the dug out- roughly 3 metres from the grieving relatives and unleashes his famous moonwalk celebration (for the record, I very much doubt he purposefully aimed to antagonise anyone).

This caused absolute carnage. I remember Tommy Elphick getting into a fight, Dean Wilkins had a cup of tea thrown at him and the club had to publicly apologise to Hartlepool

All because Savage loved to moonwalk

It wasn't JUST Bas' celebration that caused the issues though. When the winner went in, the entire Albion bench went mental. there were people - subs, etc on the pitch. John Sullivan got booked, and in doing so became the only Albion player in history to have more yellow cards (1) than appearances (0).

MattBackHome

Jul 7, 2003
It wasn't JUST Bas' celebration that caused the issues though. When the winner went in, the entire Albion bench went mental. there were people - subs, etc on the pitch. John Sullivan got booked, and in doing so became the only Albion player in history to have more yellow cards (1) than appearances (0).

It's stories like this that make this competition so beautiful.

John Sullivan really should get a nomination next time out for that fact alone.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014

Some kind of footballing Darwin Award. Great quiz question.

Exile

Objective but passionate
Aug 10, 2014

Some kind of footballing Darwin Award. Great quiz question.

John Sullivan played for the first team surely?

In time he did, yes. But at that point, he hadn’t.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here