Page 20 of 44 FirstFirst ... 101718192021222330 ... LastLast
Results 191 to 200 of 433
  1. #191
    Resident pedant Triggaaar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Goldstone
    Posts
    38,398


    0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by cjd View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    The tax relief on a Buy to Let Mortgage is not being phased out.
    True it's not completely going, but it is changing significantly.
    It is just being restricted to the basic rate of income tax of 20% as opposed to some Landlords who were getting relief at 40%.
    Well there's more to it that that. You can't deduct the mortgage costs from your revenue when calculating your profit, but you can get a tax discount at 20% of mortgage interest - for low earners that will mean your tax is the same, but because the discount is given after calculating profit, your profits declared as higher than before which can push you into higher tax brackets.
    Even this reduction will not come fully into effect until April 2020.
    If you're planning a long term investment like a BTL, that's pretty close.
    Hold tight, my man
    He's got the frisbee

    • North Stand Chat

      advertising
      Join Date: Jul 2003
      Posts: Lots

        


    • #192
      Resident pedant Triggaaar's Avatar
      Join Date
      Oct 2005
      Location
      Goldstone
      Posts
      38,398


      0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Renegade1 View Post
      This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
      How does an equity release loan work?
      Buy a flat for £80k, get a mortgage for £60k. Some years later the property is worth double, so you want to get a bigger mortgage, so you can use the money to buy more.

      I was talking about if you came into some money and just owned your home,then whether it would be better to pay off some of your mortgage or stick it in the bank as that way you have liquid cash.Assuming there is little difference between your mortgage rate and your savings rate then the bank is a better option?
      Well you'd have to pay tax on the interest earned in the bank. And getting a bank rate to match your mortgage isn't easy. But otherwise sure, you get the flexibility of having it in the bank which is good. But I was comparing paying off your home mortgage with paying off a BTL mortgage.
      Hold tight, my man
      He's got the frisbee
    • #193
      Resident pedant Triggaaar's Avatar
      Join Date
      Oct 2005
      Location
      Goldstone
      Posts
      38,398


      0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Renegade1 View Post
      This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
      So basically the option of using what's left of your rent after paying the interest to pay off your home mortgage will be gone when interest tax relief is phased out.
      As cjd pointed out, I wasn't right to say it's being phased out completely, but it is changing significantly. If after rent you're still not in the higher tax brackets, then it's ok for you.
      So the other option as stated is to use what's left to put it into an ISA assuming the rate is higher than your BTL mortgage rate.
      An ISA was just one example. All things being equal, you just don't want to push your tax up.

      Out of interest,if you guys won 500k on the lottery tomorrow,how would you invest it?Property?shares?other ways?A mix?If a mix what would be the split?
      It all depends too much on personal circumstances, your age, your earnings, your wealth, your experience with these things. Property can be an unnecessary headache for someone without experience who earns good money without spending their time trying to look after property.

      Quote Originally Posted by LlcoolJ View Post
      This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
      What other option would you suggest in this hypothetical case then?
      So you've got a BTL with an interest only mortgage that's .75 over bass. Pay the interest, invest your profits however you see fit. Do not pay down the mortgage. Is that what you're asking?
      Hold tight, my man
      He's got the frisbee
    • #194
      Mama said knock you out. LlcoolJ's Avatar
      Join Date
      Oct 2009
      Location
      Sheffield
      Posts
      8,252


      0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Triggaaar View Post
      This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
      So you've got a BTL with an interest only mortgage that's .75 over bass. Pay the interest, invest your profits however you see fit. Do not pay down the mortgage. Is that what you're asking?
      No. As I said, the mortgage isn't BTL and it is repayment. Hence the best plan being to leave it alone........

      Otherwise it would be a no brainer as you say.
    • #195
      Resident pedant Triggaaar's Avatar
      Join Date
      Oct 2005
      Location
      Goldstone
      Posts
      38,398


      0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by LlcoolJ View Post
      This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
      No. As I said, the mortgage isn't BTL and it is repayment.
      Although not a BTL mortgage, you said second property, so I assume the property is a BTL?

      Hence the best plan being to leave it alone........
      Probably worth doing some maths, but yeah, you can't be ditching a mortgage like that. Could you perhaps transfer it to your home instead, and get a new BTL for the rented property?
      Hold tight, my man
      He's got the frisbee
    • #196
      Mama said knock you out. LlcoolJ's Avatar
      Join Date
      Oct 2009
      Location
      Sheffield
      Posts
      8,252


      1 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Triggaaar View Post
      This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
      Although not a BTL mortgage, you said second property, so I assume the property is a BTL?

      Probably worth doing some maths, but yeah, you can't be ditching a mortgage like that. Could you perhaps transfer it to your home instead, and get a new BTL for the rented property?
      Home mortgage is being overpaid already and should be gone in under 5 years, not worth messing with.

      Similar term left on the other one. That's when some serious maths will need doing though, you're right.......
    • #197
      Members Uncle Spielberg's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jul 2003
      Location
      Worthing
      Posts
      41,328


      0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by LlcoolJ View Post
      This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
      Home mortgage is being overpaid already and should be gone in under 5 years, not worth messing with.

      Similar term left on the other one. That's when some serious maths will need doing though, you're right.......
      You know your stuff and added great value to this thread
      Spielberg is GOD.
    • #198

      0 Not allowed!
      So, if you are already in the 40% tax bracket, with no BTL, are we saying it is not worth the bother?
    • #199
      Members Weststander's Avatar
      Join Date
      Aug 2011
      Location
      Withdean area
      Posts
      19,756


      0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Birdie Boy View Post
      This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
      So, if you are already in the 40% tax bracket, with no BTL, are we saying it is not worth the bother?
      BTL’s are partly bought for the capital appreciation, which is inevitable over the medium to long term in southern England. If there are borrowings, rental income after costs and interest may well be modest in the early years. Taxation hasn’t prevented huge numbers of wealthy individuals acquiring BTL’s as they make great investments:
    • #200
      Well, is it? Is it PotG?'s Avatar
      Join Date
      Feb 2017
      Location
      Sussex by the Sea
      Posts
      5,518


      0 Not allowed!
      Indeed, we have a BTL on interest only. The (hopeful) capital appreciation makes it a long haul job, the rental income (less costs) paying the mortgage more or less to the penny.

      NB. We do not fall into the 'wealthy individuals' bracket.

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •