Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Finance] Buy to Let Mortgages

Renegade1

Mar 7, 2018
Hi all.

Looking to get a buy to let mortgage for a flat.Wondering if there are any experts here who can advise
on the best deals?
I could get a further advance on a Nationwide Mortgage at a low rate however you can't use it to buy a property
to let (would they know?)

Buy to let rates are high after the first 2 years so is it easy enough to re-mortgage after 2 years
and continue with the low rates or will I be stuck with the higher rates?

Many thanks

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
[MENTION=3887]Uncle Spielberg[/MENTION] is the resident favourite mortgage chap. Ping him a PM and he'll be right onto it.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
[MENTION=3887]Uncle Spielberg[/MENTION] is the resident favourite mortgage chap. Ping him a PM and he'll be right onto it.

As will all the other NSC mortgage chaps who will feel miffed at being overlooked for the prospective business. They'll be all over this thread like a RASH :lol:

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
Sounds like a good mortgage advisor will be able to sort this without having to go down the BTL route.

pearl

May 3, 2016
Behind My Eyes
Hi all.

Looking to get a buy to let mortgage for a flat.Wondering if there are any experts here who can advise
on the best deals?
I could get a further advance on a Nationwide Mortgage at a low rate however you can't use it to buy a property
to let (would they know?)

Buy to let rates are high after the first 2 years so is it easy enough to re-mortgage after 2 years
and continue with the low rates or will I be stuck with the higher rates?

Many thanks

they would probably find out at some point

Renegade1

Mar 7, 2018

Thanks for that.I will PM him but I'm also very interested in the opinions of others.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
I could get a further advance on a Nationwide Mortgage at a low rate however you can't use it to buy a property to let (would they know?)
What would you be allowed to use it for? No, they wouldn't know.

Buy to let rates are high after the first 2 years so is it easy enough to re-mortgage after 2 years and continue with the low rates or will I be stuck with the higher rates?
Yes it's easy enough to re-mortgage (although circumstances can of course change). Just make sure you take into account any arrangement, valuation, and legal fees.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
they would probably find out at some point
Er, what? What is this opinion based on? I've never had any contact from any mortgage provider about where any money has gone once the money has been received. Once you have a mortgage and are paying it on time, that's it. They don't send PIs round to check on you.

pearl

May 3, 2016
Behind My Eyes
Er, what? What is this opinion based on? I've never had any contact from any mortgage provider about where any money has gone once the money has been received. Once you have a mortgage and are paying it on time, that's it. They don't send PIs round to check on you.

It's based on a friend's experience. Houses are fine, flats are different

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
It's based on a friend's experience. Houses are fine, flats are different
They're not in my experience. It could be different if getting a mortgage for a property you're supposed to live in, and then not living there, but that's not what the OP was suggesting.

pearl

May 3, 2016
Behind My Eyes
They're not in my experience. It could be different if getting a mortgage for a property you're supposed to live in, and then not living there, but that's not what the OP was suggesting.

yeah your right ... sorry. My friend was living in the flat, but then moved in with partner and let the flat :thumbsup:

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
What do they ask to see then?
Nothing. You put the information on the tax return. Done hundreds of returns for people who have rental properties and companies with rental properties and I've never once seen HMRC ask for details of the mortgage.

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
yeah your right ... sorry. My friend was living in the flat, but then moved in with partner and let the flat [emoji106]
That's different as you have to tell the mortgage lender that you're renting it. Isn't usually an issue if you let them know though

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Licker Extraordinaire
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
I would be delighted to help

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Licker Extraordinaire
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
As will all the other NSC mortgage chaps who will feel miffed at being overlooked for the prospective business. They'll be all over this thread like a RASH :lol:

I am happy to assist but people are of course free to ask the advice of anyone in the field

pearl

May 3, 2016
Behind My Eyes
That's different as you have to tell the mortgage lender that you're renting it. Isn't usually an issue if you let them know though

yep! They didn't tell the lender. They found out because of an insurance claim ... I think, but it got a bit messy

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Link Here