Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Music] RIP NME Weekly Print Edition

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
'NME magazine to end print edition after 66 years'

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/music/news/nme-magazine-end-print-edition-66-years/

*sigh*

Required Thursday morning reading during our formative punk years. Or as a rare late-night treat on Wednesday nights from the newspaper shack outside Victoria station following a gig before catching the train back to BN1.

Melody Maker was for earnest students who wanted to read a thesis on empty pomp rock. Sounds was with honourable exceptions (Jane Suck, Dave McCullough) for dafter younger brothers. But NME hit that sweet spot between 1976 and 1979.

RIP NME :down:

The Gem

Oct 17, 2008
'NME magazine to end print edition after 66 years'

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/music/news/nme-magazine-end-print-edition-66-years/

*sigh*

Required Thursday morning reading during our formative punk years. Or as a rare late-night treat on Wednesday nights from the newspaper shack outside Victoria station following a gig before catching the train back to BN1.

Melody Maker was for earnest students who wanted to read a thesis on empty pomp rock. Sounds was with honourable exceptions (Jane Suck, Dave McCullough) for dafter younger brothers. But NME hit that sweet spot between 1976 and 1979.

RIP NME :down:

Loved that mag back in the day.

1234andcounting

Mar 31, 2008
Charles Shaar Murray, Nick Kent, Julie Burchill, Danny Baker - your boys took one hell of a beating.

Read it devotedly throughout the 70s and much of the 80s. Required reading back then. Brilliant in depth interviews with all the greats. Another bit of my past bites the dust.

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
Put out of its misery.

They totally ****ed up, if they'd come up with a decent internet offering in the late 90's/ early 00's when Pitchfork started to get going they could have been top dog rather than a free paper more concerned with flogging hair-gel than any serious music journalism as it has been for the last two and a half years of existence.

dolphins

Jan 26, 2012
BN1, in GOSBTS
In its day, was excellent and would buy a copy each week. Suspect it was hoping for an Evening Standard-esque revival becoming free, but its limited distribution I think was the problem. The content seemed to become a shadow of its former self, and what kids are going to be that interested in a print music mag these days with the way music is "consumed" by that demographic?

Worried Man Blues

Feb 28, 2009
Swansea
Another 70s reader, remember those one liners at the back, prog rules, far out man..................

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Put out of its misery.

They totally ****ed up, if they'd come up with a decent internet offering in the late 90's/ early 00's when Pitchfork started to get going they could have been top dog rather than a free paper more concerned with flogging hair-gel than any serious music journalism as it has been for the last two and a half years of existence.

Think they ***ed up long before then. In the 80's they had neither the music to write about nor the writers capable of polishing a turd.

The Sock of Poskett

The best is yet to come (spoiler alert)
Jun 12, 2009
Certainly had its moments, as did Melody Maker to be fair (and I was partial to a bit of prog in its pomp).
Record Collector's the mag for me these days, along with other middle-aged vinyl vultures. At least they print some of my gig reviews ... :rock:

Pevenseagull

Anti-greed coalition
Jul 20, 2003
Put out of its misery.

Spot on ...
It utterly died on it's arse a decade or so ..... amazed it was still going.
Next time Julie comes in the pub I'll buy her a drink.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
The Xmas double size issue was always a must-buy even in the later stages of decline while they could still rope in motormouths like Mark E Smith and Shaun Ryder, lock them in a room and just ply them with stuff with the recording devices of the day running. Guaranteed 4-6 pages of massively entertaining transcript right there.

pearl

May 3, 2016
Behind My Eyes
Think they ***ed up long before then. In the 80's they had neither the music to write about nor the writers capable of polishing a turd.

I stopped reading it about 30 years ago when they kept repeating stuff week after week.

(I could never get my head around Melody Maker .... hippy brother used to get that)

Essential reading on the train to School in the early 60's.

They ran an awards show at the Wembley Arena every year and my mate Steve and I managed to get tickets for two, maybe three years running.

Everybody who was anybody in the 60's was on that show, Beatles, Cliff Richard, Rolling Stones, all the Liverpool bands, the Hollies, Adam faith, Joe Brown, Dave Clark Five, Dusty Springfield, Cilla Black and many more

And loads from the States came over; Roy Orbison, Del Shannon, Andy Williams, Perry Como, just about everyone except Elvis.

Steve and I saw the lot. Great days.

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
Melody Maker poll winners 1977, makes interesting reading with Punk/new Wave just starting to make an impression but still dominated by prog

IMG_20180307_170706.jpg

Eric Potts

Jul 26, 2004
Top o' Hanover
7c58ff6079aa98fff528d0747a4ed367--music-notes-music-music.jpg

The first NME i ever bought . Mid '76 . Bought it every week for the next 10 years or so , and then we just drifted apart , apart from the occasional one night stand , for old times sake : It was never the same though.

Gregory2Smith1

J'les aurai!
Sep 21, 2011
Auch
It was handy for ordering break through singles of punk bands and imports from the ads in the back pages

Something you often couldn't find in local record shops

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Link Here