Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Music] One for the musos - record subscriptions.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Does anyone have a subscription with a label or shop? What’s out there?

I have had one with Rounder, and Rough Trade before they revamped their system which prevented foreign addresses being entered. I’m very tempted to sign up to this new Sacred Bones Record Label Club, which prompted me to see if anyone else does this.

As a follow-up I joined the Sacred Bones Record Society and it has been brilliant so far and introduced me to some excellent new acts, provided me with some wonderful vinyl editions of acts I already know and love and delivered a number of soundtracks which have been a good experience. They also have this collaboration series which which swings between excellent and brilliantly bizarre. Uniform collaborating with The Body was excellent although the wife said it sounded like a load of monsters shouting and bashing things and trying to escape from the room. And the collab between Emma Ruth Rundle and Thou is brilliantly bizarre.

All good.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Does anyone have a subscription with a label or shop? What’s out there?

I have had one with Rounder, and Rough Trade before they revamped their system which prevented foreign addresses being entered. I’m very tempted to sign up to this new Sacred Bones Record Label Club, which prompted me to see if anyone else does this.

I get emails from Metropolis records, usefully updating on new releases. It was an option when I first became a customer. I get the same from Dais records. For other lables, I just check for new releases on Youtube (Murko, Dark Star White Light, Untitled Burial), and I also regularly look for new releases by specific producers (such as Axius Link, Sco, ΔLLICØRN, BLVCK CEILING, FUNΞRΔL ‡ FLØWΞRS). I doubt you'd be able to cater for all your requirements via one subscription.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I get emails from Metropolis records, usefully updating on new releases. It was an option when I first became a customer. I get the same from Dais records. For other lables, I just check for new releases on Youtube (Murko, Dark Star White Light, Untitled Burial), and I also regularly look for new releases by specific producers (such as Axius Link, Sco, ΔLLICØRN, BLVCK CEILING, FUNΞRΔL ‡ FLØWΞRS). I doubt you'd be able to cater for all your requirements via one subscription.

I was thinking more monthly subscriptions where you pay money and get sent an album a month (Rough Trade and Rounder), or like Sacred Bones 6 albums a quarter or whatever it is.

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
I get emails from an assortment of labels. . . most of my new music comes via R6M these days, but that can limit it somewhat. I tend to explore Spotify as well, again, not everyone's on there. Quite a few of the labels have rosters of likeminded artists.

Still like to rummage old vinyl though, After nearly 40 years of buying records it's getting harder to find new old stuff. although I did recently discover some late 60's/70's African funk comps., entitle 'Africa Airways' which is pretty groovy. I remember buying Afro rock when it first came out 20 years ago now, some great stuff.

https://www.deejay.de/Various_Artists_Afro-rock_Volume_One_STRUT59LP151771_Vinyl__290090

BrianB

Sleepy Mid Sussex
Nov 14, 2020
Slightly different but could be of interest,

I quite like Jazz but have limited knowledge so subscribed to DeAgostini's Jazz at 33 1/3rpm series , well pressed facsimiles and interesting albums generally not too far 'out there' ( except the bonkers Charlie Haden Liberation Orchestra ��)..

The series has finished now but overstocks pop up at decent low prices sometimes ...

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here