Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Palace beamback

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Our rivalry with Palace didnt start until the 70s and Mullery at thge infamous Stamford Bridge cup game. Our rivalry with Portsmouth was uppermost in my formative years of watching the Albion in the 50s. Living in Worthing as a lad other than watching Worthing wth Reggie Bowlers and the Bloom brothers you chose to either go to The Goldstone or Fratton Park to support BHA or Porftsmouth I chose Brighton.

As regards the Charlton beam back I didnt class them as rivals as such other than it was at a time that we needed the points so it was of great interest to us. By the time we play Palace I think that we will be safe so the result to us will be of no consequence.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Like Portsmouth? Can you name me all the other traditional rivals please, just so I know.

Does anyone who supports Portsmouth know that a Brighton fan thinks they're our rivals?

So you rate Portsmouth as traditional rivals even though we have hardly ever played them whereas we've played Palace IIRC about twice as much over the years?

In fact I just checked and we played Pompey 43 times as opposed to Palace's 98 times. Pompey are hardly a rival, especially as they have proper rivals in any case.

To be fair to BG, Pompey were considered to be rivals back in the 60s when I started supporting.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Our rivalry with Palace didnt start until the 70s and Mullery at thge infamous Stamford Bridge cup game. Our rivalry with Portsmouth was uppermost in my formative years of watching the Albion in the 50s. Living in Worthing as a lad other than watching Worthing wth Reggie Bowlers and the Bloom brothers you chose to either go to The Goldstone or Fratton Park to support BHA or Porftsmouth I chose Brighton.

As regards the Charlton beam back I didnt class them as rivals as such other than it was at a time that we needed the points so it was of great interest to us. By the time we play Palace I think that we will be safe so the result to us will be of no consequence.

I remember huge rivalry, huge crowds and violence with CP before that ... when Peter Taylor was our manager. For example at the February 1976 midweek league game at home. 33,000 was the official attendance plus the thousands Bamber/Calver didn't put through the books.

It's incorrect that it started anew with Mullery and the League Cup run.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
To be fair to BG, Pompey were considered to be rivals back in the 60s when I started supporting.
I know that. Who are the others like Portsmouth? And does anyone who supports Portsmouth know about this rivalry?

SIMMO SAYS

Jul 31, 2012
Incommunicado

:moo::bla::bla::bla::bla::bla::bla::bla::yawn::yawn::yawn::yawn::yawn::shutup::moo:

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
That was the season before the cup replay and both sides were pushing for promotion from Div 3 so a large crowd would have been expected in a match between promotion rivals.

DumLum

Oct 24, 2009
West, West, West Sussex.
I don't think they are allowed to with a 3pm Saturday kick off are they? maybe if the date is changed

Can anyone remember what time the Palace beamback was in 2012....Saturday December 1st.
I have tried to forget Dunk getting sent off and us losing 3-0 so its a little hazy.
Can they change it to 2.55 or something to get around the rules?

AZ Gull

@SeagullsAcademy Threads: @bhafcacademy
Oct 14, 2003
Chandler, AZ
Can anyone remember what time the Palace beamback was in 2012....Saturday December 1st.
I have tried to forget Dunk getting sent off and us losing 3-0 so its a little hazy.
Can they change it to 2.55 or something to get around the rules?

Extra Beam Back Tickets Available

...Doors will open at 12.30pm, with live coverage of the Chelsea v West Ham United match at 12.45pm, before the main action of Albion’s eagerly awaited match at Selhurst Park commences at 3pm. ...

Perry Milkins

Just a quiet guy.
Aug 10, 2007
Ardingly

Aww tosh Gramps. When I started watching the Albion during the war (Crimea, do I know you from then?) our rivals were a team that have now gone out of existence. Barnestoneworth United. By 'eck we had some right barnies with them!

Still well done steering this thread from its proper (Davy) path!

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Aww tosh Gramps. When I started watching the Albion during the war (Crimea, do I know you from then?) our rivals were a team that have now gone out of existence. Barnestoneworth United. By 'eck we had some right barnies with them!

Still well done steering this thread from its proper (Davy) path!

I am not steering away from the OP just pointing out that I do not see any justification in having a beam back and the expense involved just to satisfy a few egos.

Perry Milkins

Just a quiet guy.
Aug 10, 2007
Ardingly
I am not steering away from the OP just pointing out that I do not see any justification in having a beam back and the expense involved just to satisfy a few egos.

Satisfying an ego? How so?

Satisfying a desire to witness a sporting event? How does that nourish an ego?

sjamesb3466

Jan 31, 2009
Leicester

The Stamford Bridge match was 42 years ago!! Hardly a flash in the pan and totally justified as our biggest and fiercest rivals, traditional or not.

The club will make money from a beamback and I suspect there will be a high demand. If you don't like the idea, don't go!

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath

Certain people appear to believe that they have to be seen to hate Palace to be taken as a true Brighton supporter. I do not agree with that as I am a true Brighton fan but have no feelings for or against Palace unlike my sons.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here