Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] European places

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
If Arsenal win the Europa League (don't laugh, stranger things have happened) and they also finish outside the top 5, and City or United or Spurs win the FA Cup and inside the top 5, there will be EIGHT European places up for grabs next year.

Not beyond the bounds of possibility, with a following wind and wins against, say, Everton, Leicester and Burnley, is it?

(Of course we could win the FA Cup ourselves and go straight in...)

Crazy talk, we won't get anywhere near it. In any case a european campaign would only complicate our chances of staying up next season.

seagulls4ever

Oct 2, 2003
What happens if the FA Cup Final is between two Champions League qualifiers and another is a semi-finalist ?

I this a gateway for Wigan Athletic or Southampton should they reach the semi-finals (assuming everything goes by the book) ?

Only the FA Cup winners qualify for the Europa League. If they have already qualified for Europe through the league, then the Europa League place (3rd qualifying round I think) goes to 7th place in the league. A maximum of 7 English teams can qualify UEFA competitions, so finishing 8th will never allow you to qualify for the Europa League. English clubs get either 5 CL places + 2 EL places, or 4 CL places + 3 EL places.

The Clown of Pevensey Bay

Jul 5, 2003
Suburbia
What happens if the FA Cup Final is between two Champions League qualifiers and another is a semi-finalist ?

I this a gateway for Wigan Athletic or Southampton should they reach the semi-finals (assuming everything goes by the book) ?

Sadly the rules changed after Millwall got into Europe and played (I think) Ferencvaros. No places for cup runners-up.

dangull

Feb 24, 2013
One notable achievement that could be secured this season, is the highest position ever by the club in its history.

13th under Mike Bailey in 1982. BHA are currently 10th as I'm sure most people here realise.

Quinney

Aug 3, 2009
Hastings
Let's not go getting ahead of ourselves, only a couple of games ago most supporters were desperately concerned about relegation. After some great performances that looks less likely, but it's still a possibility, there's still much work to be done and some hard games to be won or drawn.

talking of Europe makes us sound as daft as the idiots up at Smellhurst. look what's happened to them.

Quite agree, lucky there’s no Palace twats around to read these sort of threads..

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
One notable achievement that could be secured this season, is the highest position ever by the club in its history.

13th under Mike Bailey in 1982. BHA are currently 10th as I'm sure most people here realise.

We need to finish in 11.7 th position as there were 22 in the league in those days.

A mex eyecan

Nov 3, 2011
God, are we really self-censoring our dreams and ambitions on here nowadays in case Crystal Palace fans take the piss at a later date?:ffsparr:

I seriously hadn't thought of it that way around, so for that I'm sorry, take no notice of my prior post... and f any trolls that come along.

let's go and turn Utd over on the 17th, after 3 points at Everton next Saturday, and safety and Europe could be a step nearer.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
God, are we really self-censoring our dreams and ambitions on here nowadays in case Crystal Palace fans take the piss at a later date?:ffsparr:
I have lots of dreams and you'd all take the piss if I posted them here. Sometimes you need to keep things to yourself.

seagulls4ever

Oct 2, 2003
I hope TB and PB never mention european ambitions.

Every non-mega club that ever did, normally with a new embarrassing owner, never got there and looked like twits. Sometimes, the beginning of a decline in fortunes.

Well that's not true. Article from 2014:

Newly-promoted Leicester City's owner wants a top-five finish in the Premier League within three years - and will spend the money needed to get there.

The Championship title winners have returned to the top flight after a decade-long absence.

Billionaire Thai chairman Vichai Srivaddhanaprabha outlined the club's next steps to reporters in Bangkok.

He said: "It will take a huge amount of money, possibly 10bn Thai Baht (£180m), to get there. That doesn't put us off."

Srivaddhanaprabha added: "I am asking for three years, and we'll be there.

"We won't take the huge leap to challenge the league's top five clubs immediately.

"Do we have a chance to beat them? Yes, we have, but I think we need to establish our foothold in the league first and then we think about our next step.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/27387616

I seem to recall there was some piss taking at the time.

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
It is too early to even want to qualify for Europe. Whilst it would be an exceptional achievement. Next year will also be a struggle so thee extra games would put a strain on the squad. We will still be in a position where we need to keep players free of injury. So for me ''No'' - I wouldn't even want to qualify for it

LowKarate

Jan 6, 2004
Wombling free
More patience needed.

We have only just beaten Arsenal. We aren't yet ready to take on a load of European fixtures as well as Premier League. We need to build even more strength in the squad before we can even think of that.

LowKarate

Jan 6, 2004
Wombling free
Closest i'll be getting to europe next season is Borth in wales when the turbot show up .

I highly recommend It's a Gift - the shop opposite the beach at Borth. It has the finest array of random tat that I have ever seen in my life (and I've been to many UK and overseas gift shops).

Iggle Piggle

Sep 3, 2010
Miserable gits.

We're 6 points off Europe on the assumption Spurs, Man u or Chelsea win the cup and 7 above relegation. Hardly unreasonable to have a thread about it. After all, who wouldn't be looking forward to the #disgrace thread after we get turned over by some Lithuanian part timers in the Europa league preliminary rounds? Watching some Eastern European Postman slot a winner in the 89th minute before we get beaten up by the local rozzers are what dreams are made of.

Taybha

Whalewhine
Oct 8, 2008
Uwantsumorwat
I highly recommend It's a Gift - the shop opposite the beach at Borth. It has the finest array of random tat that I have ever seen in my life (and I've been to many UK and overseas gift shops).

Thanks I’ve already sampled it’s delights , I think I purchased a pair of shorts and some mackerel feathers from there from memory

Mental Lental

Jul 5, 2003
Shiki-shi, Saitama
Some serious tinpottery in this thread. Some people really are of the opinion that being in the PL is the raison d'être for all football clubs aren't they?. I personally just like to see The Albion doing as well as they possibly can regardless of what league they're playing in. If you're seriously saying that you DON'T want to see Brighton play in EUROPE next season because the extra games MIGHT have an effect on our PL status, then you're a bit sad.

Bladders

Twats everywhere
Jun 22, 2012
The Troubadour
Thursday nights playing Dynamo Kebab from some old Eastern bloc country

No thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here