Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] European places

Leegull

Apr 7, 2016
Don't give a shit if it affects our "survival" chances. I wanna see Brighton play in the Europa League.

End of.

Edit: Oh and you can stick your miserable worse case scenario up your arse as well. What if we breeze through the qualifiers without any injuries and have games against Juventus, Borussia Dortmund and Valencia to look forward to?

Let’s just agree to disagree then. For me first and foremost let’s survive this year, establish ourselves in the PL for a number of years and then worry about the Europa League when we get to that position.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Playing in Europe is great for the fans but something of a poisoned chalice for the players and management.

It means you play on a Thursday so your league matches will always be on a Sunday or Monday, and that's where the problems can start.

However, Fulham and Boro made it all the way to the Europa League final whilst finishing mid-table under McLaren and Hodgson respectively so it can be done.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
One of our resident Burnley fans was saying how many of them don't want Arsenal to capitulate any further as they would hate to go into Europe, begging the question 'why bother'?

Next season will be their third in the Premier league, which would have generated some £300,000,000 through the club.
If they're scared of Thursday night football then, what are they actually waiting for?

To me that feels about right, obviously this season this is a ridiculous thread, but I'll be a little disappointed if it isn't back in a year's time.
After 3 full seasons in the Premier League I'd all but expect it, esp as it's clear if the expectation level is set at '17th', eventually that too becomes difficult to reach.

lancyclaret

Jan 10, 2014
Disagree. What our club have done - absolutely superbly - is build a SQUAD. Our 25 is full of players you'd be reasonably happy seeing start a game. That's the difference between ourselves and the NigeIs among others. We have an injury? No problem, in steps a squad player with a minimal loss of quality. The NigeIs lose Zaha? "Oh no! It's all so unfair, how unlucky! We could go down and it's not our fault"

Maybe they should have a more balanced squad? Because ultimately, it works better. Firstly, it provides genuine competition for places which means you get more than the sum of your parts as the first XI perform beyond expectations to keep their place (see Glenn Murray). But also - and here is the point of my reply - we are now able to properly rotate the squad to genuinely compete in all competitions. So with our squad, I don't think a Europa League spot would impact us negatively at all.

I know I can be too optimistic at times, but as I said earlier I'm with the OP here. There is no reason why this club can't get into Europe. Another step in moving on from our small time past, and considering our support, it's high time we achieved what similar sized clubs have managed.

How many long-term injuries to usual first XI starters have the Seagulls had this season? I don't think very many compared to Palace or Burnley. And I think Watford have been even more unfortunate.

If you could guarantee hardly any injuries again next season, a Euro campaign would be no problem. But there are no guarantees.

I'd like to finish 7th (don't think we will) but I'd be happy to give Europe a miss if it impacted on our PL survival chances next season.

Last edited:

warmleyseagull

Apr 17, 2011
Beaminster, Dorset
As covered in my post. Bigger clubs with bigger squads and on a much sounder financial footing than us, have found the Europa League to be nothing more than a distraction that has adversely impacted their season(s)..

We’re way way ahead of ourselves here and still not certain of survival this season. Let’s give it a few years before we start thinking of Europe.

My sense of irony was lost. Perhaps you are taking this thread a little too seriously; it is completely absurd but we can dream, we can speculate, that is what being a fan is all about. I am sure CH and the team are not thinking about Europe, entirely focussed on Everton.

jamie the seagull

Jul 27, 2011
Almost a year to the day when we lost 2 v 0 at the mighty Leeds United.
According to their fans this win meant they would take our place and get promoted to the Premier League.
This Post is embarrassing.
Anyone who is still not looking behind is in a fantasy world.
Sunday gave us breathing space and took a little bit of pressure of the home games v Leicester & Huddersfield should we have slip up or go back to our draws.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Almost a year to the day when we lost 2 v 0 at the mighty Leeds United.
According to their fans this win meant they would take our place and get promoted to the Premier League.
This Post is embarrassing.
Anyone who is still not looking behind is in a fantasy world.
Sunday gave us breathing space and took a little bit of pressure of the home games v Leicester & Huddersfield should we have slip up or go back to our draws.

Ah yes, serenaded with :

You’ll fook it oop
You’ll fook it oop
You’ll fook it oop
You’ll fook it oop
You’ll fook it oop

[emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]

It’s ok to dream but please not yet........really, wayyyyyyyy too early. Get safe (still lots of work to do), get consolidated in the next couple of seasons, continually strengthen the squad and then start thinking about it. Pretty sure Bloom and Barber will have a 3/5/10 year plan that maps this out in more detail, and which for this year simply aims at 17th, with anything above that a massive bonus (and hopefully for CH means a massive bonus as well [emoji3])

Easy to see how the squad will continue to strengthen. If the simple principle of trying to upgrade every time you replace is followed, we’ll have better players in to replace those leaving. The bench is already looking immense compared to even pre-Jan but there is a lot to do in the summer.

Taybha

Whalewhine
Oct 8, 2008
Uwantsumorwat
I highly recommend It's a Gift - the shop opposite the beach at Borth. It has the finest array of random tat that I have ever seen in my life (and I've been to many UK and overseas gift shops).

Was there on monday again , couldn't help myself taking a drive by photo , spine tingling .

IMG_2807.JPG

spence

British and Proud
Oct 15, 2014
Crawley
It is too early to even want to qualify for Europe. Whilst it would be an exceptional achievement. Next year will also be a struggle so thee extra games would put a strain on the squad. We will still be in a position where we need to keep players free of injury. So for me ''No'' - I wouldn't even want to qualify for it

Absolutely this

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
I hope TB and PB never mention european ambitions.

I fully expect PB to utter the words 'EL ready' any day now!

Seriously, yes of course staying up is our number 1 priority - anyone who thinks otherwise is a fool - and nobody has said it shouldn't be our priority anywhere on this thread. However, once we have achieved staying up, I would love us to have a crack at the EL Raise the profile of the club, continue growing, and increase our status as a club that better players will see as a club they want to come to. It's called progress!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here