Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] How much of our success is down to Chris Hughton?

warmleyseagull

Apr 17, 2011
Beaminster, Dorset
If the fish smells beautiful, start at the top.

Surely TB is the one who has masterminded the success: pumping in £250m+, hiring GP (at least until poogate) PB, CH, and PW, all the while remaining a true supporter; that is the foundation stone. Above all, he is methodical, realistic, and patient. Acts when needs to (RS, SH, DB) but otherwise takes the longer view.

CH fits in this model perfectly: He is part of the four strong team (where GP ultimately went wrong) and evidently trusts his colleagues and TB. One quote that sticks in my mind is CH's on the signing of Pascal Groß: "the club has been watching him for a long time", evidence that PG was a recruitment team target that CH agreed to and adopted him quickly into the team as the indispensable player he is for us. He has influence in the recruitment but accepts it as a team approach - he has often mentioned the budget limitations and works with what he has.

When you see the disconnect of so many managers with the Board (think Conte presently), you can feel how well run the club is at a senior level. CH is, to a degree, the public face of this. That is no way to diminish his achievements to date - he is an outstanding coach, and a genuinely nice guy - but to acknowledge also that he has amazing support n the background.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
If the fish smells beautiful, start at the top.

Surely TB is the one who has masterminded the success: pumping in £250m+, hiring GP (at least until poogate) PB, CH, and PW, all the while remaining a true supporter; that is the foundation stone. Above all, he is methodical, realistic, and patient. Acts when needs to (RS, SH, DB) but otherwise takes the longer view.

CH fits in this model perfectly: He is part of the four strong team (where GP ultimately went wrong) and evidently trusts his colleagues and TB. One quote that sticks in my mind is CH's on the signing of Pascal Groß: "the club has been watching him for a long time", evidence that PG was a recruitment team target that CH agreed to and adopted him quickly into the team as the indispensable player he is for us. He has influence in the recruitment but accepts it as a team approach - he has often mentioned the budget limitations and works with what he has.

When you see the disconnect of so many managers with the Board (think Conte presently), you can feel how well run the club is at a senior level. CH is, to a degree, the public face of this. That is no way to diminish his achievements to date - he is an outstanding coach, and a genuinely nice guy - but to acknowledge also that he has amazing support n the background.

The club is well run, with everyone acting in concert. Other than, I would imagine, a diminishing number of supporters with no time for Paul Barber.

The Albion never hit the headlines for bitching or discontent behind the scenes, or sackings of late.

biddles911

May 12, 2014
The club is well run, with everyone acting in concert. Other than, I would imagine, a diminishing number of supporters with no time for Paul Barber.

The Albion never hit the headlines for bitching or discontent behind the scenes, or sackings of late.

Thought I heard there was some discord after last summer’s failure to sign any striker though it wasn’t a very public falling out?

Running any top club is a big team effort these days but clearly Hughton must take a large share of credit for recent success since by most measures we’re outperforming with the squad we have.

Pretty well all the other Premier League sides have one or two “star” players often signed for mega bucks.

I’m struggling to think of one player we’ve recruited in recent years that I’d heard of (apart from Ulloa!)......

To bring in so many players that have no experience at this level and have them perform so effectively takes a very special coach I believe.

All hail to Hughton...........!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Thought I heard there was some discord after last summer’s failure to sign any striker though it wasn’t a very public falling out?

I would doubt it tbh. It was an unfortunate train of events and nobody's fault in particular. How often do you hear of two players failing a medical? Another player from Italy didn't want to come to England because his wife put her foot down.

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
I've said this before, but I'll repeat it: this is 'Peak Albion', (copyright Bozza) this is easily the best era in the history of Brighton and Hove Albion FC. I've been a fan since 1966 and this era knocks everything before it into a cocked hat. Enjoy it because it WILL end someday, although hopefully we'll never sink as low as 1997 again!

Love that 'Peak Albion' quote. Important to recognise it because some fans of other clubs - and I'm thinking Charlton here, among others - didn't realise it, they start moaning and always expecting more, and then the good times go. And it isn't even just the 'good times' now, it is the incredible ride and story. And you have to say that with the better quality throughout the league, relative strength of the league, and fierce competition, this must be the best Albion team ever whatever happens.

If our 'new low' in the future is the Championship, that's not bad either. For now I am just, as someone who works most Saturdays, grateful for each and every match I have managed to get to this season. Until Sunday hadn't seen any of the big wins, but that made up for it.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Up until this point the club has been on journey of discovery whereas Chris has been there, seen it, done it in his coaching career.

Now we - and Chris himself - are in unchartered waters. Keeping a club in the top half of the Prem is not something he's managed to do in his career so far, although this is due in part to Mike Ashley being a tw*t.

I believe Chris is capable of replicating what Sean Dyche has done at Burnley this season.

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo
Think what equally matters to this question is if we were at the bottom of the Championship doing miserably how much would you blame Chris Hughton? If he would be responsible for our failure he must equally be responsible for our success.

SUIYHP

The King's Gull
Apr 16, 2009
Inside Southwick Tunnel
I think it’s comparing apples to oranges really. A successful and good team relies on both a good owner and board, as well as a quality manager that understands his players. Hughton is undeniably an excellent manager, and unfortunately the media is spinning their attention on Hughton as this kind of legendary manager who made the club punch above its weight. They are right in saying he is a good manager, but Brighton’s greatest quality is its commitment, professionalism and respect for its staff, Bloom and the club trust Hughton, and we continue to have a togetherness that other clubs would dream of having. You don’t have this bollocks of arsenal fan tv’s entitled rants, Palace knuckle draggers attacking their players, Newcastle fans begging for Mike Ashley to f*** off...the fans adore Bloom for what he’s done for us, we adore the team for their passion and devotion and we of course love Hughton for being not only a bloody good manager, but also his qualities as a person.

Perkino

Dec 11, 2009
It's so difficult to quantify, We owe a huge amount to Bloom and his running of the club and he acknowledge the need for an active CEO so appointed Barber. They put together a recruitment team and convince CH to become manager. There is no swinging of an axe when things look tough, no rash decision making. Everything is calm and calculated and over time the plan will work.

CH had the task of getting us promoted and now keeping us up which based on our 25 man squad on Sep 1st I thought would never happen, however that same group of player see us sitting in the top half of the premier league. Despite everything that has been provided I believe that CH has got his players to an incredible position and they have far outreached my expectations for this season already. We would not be where we are now if we had almost any other manager in charge, he has built a philosophy in place and his squad are playing for him.

I have seen plenty of examples where a change of manager can transform the team it's that lift of morale the belief that they can achieve, you can see CH worth as throughout our difficult times this season he has remained levelheaded and helped his players to believe in what they have been building. They are so well drilled and prepared for each and every opponent

biddles911

May 12, 2014
I would doubt it tbh. It was an unfortunate train of events and nobody's fault in particular. How often do you hear of two players failing a medical? Another player from Italy didn't want to come to England because his wife put her foot down.

Don’t have any concrete evidence just what was reported on NSC (hardly a totally reliable source!).

Whatever the reality, our signings last summer have been uniformly excellent. My only regret is that we didn’t get Locadia and Ulloa at the same time. If we had, we might be totally safe by now.

Am very optimistic about the future, though, if Hughton stays. You can see how far and how quickly we can fall if you get the wrong manager in like Hyypia......

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Farehamseagull

Solly March Fan Club
Nov 22, 2007
Sarisbury Green, Southampton
He deserves a massive amount of credit, the turnaround from THAT season and the speed in which he managed it was dramatic. I'm glad he is getting appreciation for what a fine manager and man he is, hopefully a lot of those fans (mainly from East Anglia but also others) are finally changing their misguided opinion that he is not good enough for the Premier League.

As for our overall success, sometimes in life things come together by luck and planning that are just meant to be and lead to great success which is what has happened here. We have the best owner/chairman in the league, a great CEO, superb experienced manager, fantastic recruitment department, amazing facilities, great characters in the playing squad (I don't think this can be overestimated) and excellent, committed but also generally understanding fans. We've all played a part.

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
He deserves a massive amount of credit, the turnaround from THAT season and the speed in which he managed it was dramatic. I'm glad he is getting appreciation for what a fine manager and man he is, hopefully a lot of those fans (mainly from East Anglia but also others) are finally changing their misguided opinion that he is not good enough for the Premier League.

As for our overall success, sometimes in life things come together by luck and planning that are just meant to be and lead to great success which is what has happened here. We have the best owner/chairman in the league, a great CEO, superb experienced manager, fantastic recruitment department, amazing facilities, great characters in the playing squad (I don't think this can be overestimated) and excellent, committed but also generally understanding fans. We've all played a part.

There's a quote attributed to several different golfers along the lines of "It seems the more I practice, the luckier I get."

Sometimes you make your own luck, and I can't help but thinking we are where we are through planning and getting things right rather than luck.

1234andcounting

Mar 31, 2008
This is taking nothing away from CH, but it is so much easier to do a great job, and he is doing a great job, when the rest of the organisation is working so well. As others have mentioned, at the moment, the whole club seems to be working well (despite what some posters on here might have you believe). This is almost certainly down to TB; we can't ask for a better chairman. The tone of any organisation comes from the top and he certainly sets the tone.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here