Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Members

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Waynflete View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I’ll prefix this by saying I think Hughton is an absolute legend, generally under-rated as a manager and apparently a thoroughly decent human too. I hope he stays with us for a long time.

However I’ve noticed with some irritation, particularly after yesterday’s result, that the default opinion of pundits is that our success in the past couple of years is entirely down him.

Kelly Cates on 606 yesterday was a particular example, talking about how he had turned the club around from relegation form in the Championship to promotion and now closing in on safety in the Prem.

No mention of the fact that we’d been in the playoffs the two previous seasons, nor that we consistently had some of the biggest home crowds in the Championship etc. A fleeting mention of Barber and Uncle Tony but only in passing.

It was like Hughton had arrived and waved a magic wand and suddenly we were promotion candidates. I was a bit surprised as usually Cates knows what she’s talking about.

So it got me wondering what other people think... is Hughton responsible for the lion’s share of our success? Or were we on a trajectory where we were heading up sooner or later anyway, and other managers could have done just as good a job?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    He deserves credit, as good as all the infrastructure is at our club these days, and excellent recruitment, it still needs a special character to bring all the parts together successfully. We had a budget about a quarter of Newcastles last season, if you are looking for perspective.
    Posted by Kosh, 19/7/2016 - 14th - 11th this year, or I'll eat my big Ritchie Blackmore hat.

• North Stand Chat

advertising

1 Not allowed!
      I think the recruitment team deserves a big pat on the back for identifying players and then Chris moulds them into a team!

4 Not allowed!
      The interesting thing is how we spent our time introducing the new recruits, not straight in but by stealth.

Face facts Schelotto was a disaster in the making at Huddersfield but played out of position and now look at him, Izy looked erratic and now look at him.

As for Locadia the best is yet to come.
      I surrender all control
      To the desire that consumes me whole
      Leads me by the hand to infinity
      Lies in wait at the heart of me - the Albion of course !

1 Not allowed!
      As Chris himself would no doubt say it's about the whole team at the club.
      We had our early Amex years continuing a "Trust Gus" policy, Oscar Garcia then came in did a decent Gus like job with Gus players playing a bit Gussy (though he was clearly less of an egotist).
      Then came the Hyppia misstep. Okay Sammy was out his depth but also the rest of the non playing side hadn't really developed an identity or a strategy beyond the previous "try and keep Gus happy" model.
      The arrival of Hughton was just a further step in a substantial back room rejig, and I also suspect the start of properly leveraging the data analysis of Starlizard to our advantage.

They said the great thing about giving Hughton all the credit is you really don't mind giving it to him, whereas for instance giving any credit to old red nose for the achievements of Manchester united greatly irks me.
      Progressive Patriot clapham_gull's Avatar

1 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Beach Hut View Post
      The interesting thing is how we spent our time introducing the new recruits, not straight in but by stealth.

Face facts Schelotto was a disaster in the making at Huddersfield but played out of position and now look at him, Izy looked erratic and now look at him.

As for Locadia the best is yet to come.
      If he bizarrely gets a start before the end of the season.

Schelotta has been a revelation.

Football is a very odd career unlike any of ours on here, you prepare all week and are judged on how you perform in only 90 minutes.

Ourselves, we work all week and go to the football to "relax" and have some excitement to get over the week before.

There is a player who understands what football is all about but more importantly understands what we expect to see. Don't care whether he makes mistakes, just want to the effort concentrated into 90 mins.

Early days but for me fast becoming a cult hero. Looking forward to his first goal, the stadium will erupt.

2 Not allowed!
      I think Tony Bloom deserves a lot of credit for setting the tone and convincing good people to join the club, stay at the club, even return to the club and buy into the project. It all starts from the top.

I love Hughton but I believe if you took him out of the equation the club would still fundamentally be sound - losing him would be a blow but not a killer. However, if Bloom sold out to a US consortium we could be back in the Championship dogfight quicker than quicker.
      "Intercluderent aut mori"
      On the BHA rollercoaster Icy Gull's Avatar

0 Not allowed!
      We are a team, everyone, TB with the finance and business nous, PB for being PB , the recruitment team and of course CH. I admit to having doubts about CH and the recruitment team in early Jan. I was very wrong. CH has remained calm throughout and we are now reaping rhe benefits. We would not be where we are without him and the others, but he is in the front line. Don’t underestimate his influence.
      Falmer, concrete proof that if you build it they will come

0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by clapham_gull View Post
      If he bizarrely gets a start before the end of the season.

Schelotta has been a revelation.

Football is a very odd career unlike any of ours on here, you prepare all week and are judged on how you perform in only 90 minutes.

Ourselves, we work all week and go to the football to "relax" and have some excitement to get over the week before.

There is a player who understands what football is all about but more importantly understands what we expect to see. Don't care whether he makes mistakes, just want to the effort concentrated into 90 mins.

Early days but for me fast becoming a cult hero. Looking forward to his first goal, the stadium will erupt.
      I'm amazed some of us were questioning his nickname now that his storming runs down the pitch are becoming a common sight.

2 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Waynflete View Post
      I’m not pissed off. I just thought it’s an interesting question.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      Certainly didn't come across as being pissed off. It's a good question.
      Kobanî liberated 26th Jan 2015 = Modern day Stalingrad
      RIP Ceylan Ozalp, 19
      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Zqu...dex=11&list=WL

3 Not allowed!
      If CH left tomorrow, the infrastructure of the club, the support, mentality of the club as a whole would ensure that it had every opportunity to continue to thrive. The club has short term, mid term and long term plans and a contingency plan for every scenario. This is a well run club not just a team. Of course if he left everyone would be devastated and he deserves every word of praise bestowed on him but we would continue to be a great club.
      Standing in the park, I was wondering why a frisbee looks larger the closer it gets...then it hit me