Page 1 of 8 1234 ... LastLast
    Members

How much of our success is down to Chris Hughton?

5 Not allowed!
    I’ll prefix this by saying I think Hughton is an absolute legend, generally under-rated as a manager and apparently a thoroughly decent human too. I hope he stays with us for a long time.

However I’ve noticed with some irritation, particularly after yesterday’s result, that the default opinion of pundits is that our success in the past couple of years is entirely down him.

Kelly Cates on 606 yesterday was a particular example, talking about how he had turned the club around from relegation form in the Championship to promotion and now closing in on safety in the Prem.

No mention of the fact that we’d been in the playoffs the two previous seasons, nor that we consistently had some of the biggest home crowds in the Championship etc. A fleeting mention of Barber and Uncle Tony but only in passing.

It was like Hughton had arrived and waved a magic wand and suddenly we were promotion candidates. I was a bit surprised as usually Cates knows what she’s talking about.

So it got me wondering what other people think... is Hughton responsible for the lion’s share of our success? Or were we on a trajectory where we were heading up sooner or later anyway, and other managers could have done just as good a job?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• North Stand Chat

advertising

12 Not allowed!
      He is. He got the time higher than Poyet or Garcia did - and they were both very good managers.

But Hughton got a part-relegation squad facing the same way, and everyone playing for him. He sets the tone, the tactics, the work ethic and the effort. Of course others are involved, but he is the boss.
      The Albion Roar on Twitter
      New radio show on Radio Reverb 97.2FM - 'Move On Up'. Mod, soul, ska, Northern, jazz. Every other Saturday at 7pm
      Harry Wilson's Tackle Harry Wilson's tackle's Avatar

3 Not allowed!
      85%. The other 15% is due to the Lizard. Could be the other way round, of course.
      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X0Q93v7hGZA

Premier League : Brighton, le club le plus cool d'Angleterre

6 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Waynflete View Post
      This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
      I’ll prefix this by saying I think Hughton is an absolute legend, generally under-rated as a manager and apparently a thoroughly decent human too. I hope he stays with us for a long time.

However I’ve noticed with some irritation, particularly after yesterday’s result, that the default opinion of pundits is that our success in the past couple of years is entirely down him.

Kelly Cates on 606 yesterday was a particular example, talking about how he had turned the club around from relegation form in the Championship to promotion and now closing in on safety in the Prem.

No mention of the fact that we’d been in the playoffs the two previous seasons, nor that we consistently had some of the biggest home crowds in the Championship etc. A fleeting mention of Barber and Uncle Tony but only in passing.

It was like Hughton had arrived and waved a magic wand and suddenly we were promotion candidates. I was a bit surprised as usually Cates knows what she’s talking about.

So it got me wondering what other people think... is Hughton responsible for the lion’s share of our success? Or were we on a trajectory where we were heading up sooner or later anyway, and other managers could have done just as good a job?

Managers get all of the shit if a club is doing badly. It is only right that they get the credit when it is going well. However, every longer discussion I hear about us goes on about the club as a whole, Bloom, Barber, Stadium and training ground. Think you are just trying to find something to be pissed off about for no reason.
      It's probably nice to be Olympic champion. Like winning Gent-Wevelgem or something.
      Members

2 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Pantani View Post
      Managers get all of the shit if a club is doing badly. It is only right that they get the credit when it is going well. However, every longer discussion I hear about us goes on about the club as a whole, Bloom, Barber, Stadium and training ground. Think you are just trying to find something to be pissed off about for no reason.
      I’m not pissed off. I just thought it’s an interesting question.

2 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Harry Wilson's tackle View Post
      85%. The other 15% is due to the Lizard. Could be the other way round, of course.
      No, it's definitely 83.78%. He's not that good!

1 Not allowed!
      Cates was correct. After the previous failed play off attempts, the club reined in finances and lost most of the outstanding players for various reasons.

CH picked up the mess left by Burke, and transformed us from very nearly a League One club to mid table PL.

That was just a brief viewpoint from Cates for discussion. She wasn't attempting to give a detailed history of BHAFC under the Bloom chairmanship.

Money didn't buy us promotion, but obviously it gave us a chance. The Championship is littered with clubs that have/are throwing huge sums at promotion and have struggled - Massive, Derby, Villa, etc.
      Members
      Bitterne,Southampton. In the land of wrong stripes and boo-boys!

1 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Harry Wilson's tackle View Post
      Absolutely. Depends whether you're talking about the club or the team. Oversimplifying it, the club is Tony Bloom and Paul Barber's domain. The team is down to Chris Hughton. All in all just one big, happy family and long may it last.
      Members

1 Not allowed!
      As a lift engineer he always had it in him to elevate us up to a higher level.

0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Raleigh Chopper View Post
      As a lift engineer he always had it in him to elevate us up to a higher level.
      This season's had its ups and downs.
      Fup off you fuppin' baxter!