Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] Russia at it again ? Litvenenko #2 ?

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
I wouldn't normally defend the Trump administration but .....

"Mr Tillerson, who spoke to Foreign Secretary Boris Johnson on the phone about the case on Monday, said the US supported the UK's assessment that Russia was likely responsible.

He added: "We agree that those responsible - both those who committed the crime and those who ordered it - must face appropriately serious consequences.

"We stand in solidarity with our allies in the United Kingdom and will continue to coordinate closely our responses."

He described it as a "really egregious act" and said he had become "extremely concerned" by Russia becoming "more aggressive".

Mr Tillerson's solidarity lasted a long time too.

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex

carlzeiss

May 19, 2009
Amazonia
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/u...gei-skripal-infection-risk-year-a8253771.html

Russian spy attack: Hundreds in Salisbury could be poisoned in years to come with 'no cure', says nerve agent developer

One of the Russian chemical weapons scientists who developed the Novichok nerve agent has warned that hundreds of people could be at risk for years following the attack in Salisbury.

Dr Vil Mirzayanov, who fled to the US two decades ago, claimed Sergei Skripal and his daughter would not recover from the poisoning.

“There is no cure,” he told Sky News from his home in New Jersey. “There are antidotes but…they will be invalid for whole life.”

Dr Mirzayanov said Novichok was so powerful that extremely small doses could remain a danger to public health for years.

“I suppose it’s very bad because even the very small doses, very small, still they are very effective and then there will be consequences for years probably,” he added.

The scientist said public health advice, including washing clothes and sealing belongings was “not enough” and confirmed that hundreds of people could be at risk.

Asked whether he felt guilty for his part in developing Novichok, he added: “I participated in this criminal enterprise, because of that I’m probably the most fiery enemy of these chemical weapons.

“It’s a weapon of mass murder.”

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/u...gei-skripal-infection-risk-year-a8253771.html

Russian spy attack: Hundreds in Salisbury could be poisoned in years to come with 'no cure', says nerve agent developer

One of the Russian chemical weapons scientists who developed the Novichok nerve agent has warned that hundreds of people could be at risk for years following the attack in Salisbury.

Dr Vil Mirzayanov, who fled to the US two decades ago, claimed Sergei Skripal and his daughter would not recover from the poisoning.

“There is no cure,” he told Sky News from his home in New Jersey. “There are antidotes but…they will be invalid for whole life.”

Dr Mirzayanov said Novichok was so powerful that extremely small doses could remain a danger to public health for years.

“I suppose it’s very bad because even the very small doses, very small, still they are very effective and then there will be consequences for years probably,” he added.

The scientist said public health advice, including washing clothes and sealing belongings was “not enough” and confirmed that hundreds of people could be at risk.

Asked whether he felt guilty for his part in developing Novichok, he added: “I participated in this criminal enterprise, because of that I’m probably the most fiery enemy of these chemical weapons.

“It’s a weapon of mass murder.”
I was wondering why the official line on the poor people poisoned was that they were still critical. I was thinking they may only be alive thanks to life support but the government were waiting til the right time to release this .

RexCathedra

Aurea Mediocritas
Jan 14, 2005
Vacationland
So much Russian money getting laundered via London real estate that if any sanctions with real bite were imposed, the people who own the present government, and a non-trivial slice of the government, would be left standing in their socks.

Not going to happen. Not safe to risk that kind of a blow to the economy on top of the fallout from Brexit.
Your ability to run as the party of fiscal prudence and economic growth would be shattered.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
He's testing the waters, seeing how isolated the UK is internationally.

This is what worries me. At least whilst in the EU we are part of a bloc with real clout, yet outside of it we are dependent on NATO for our security, it is plain the "Special Relationship" doesn't exist and nobody can rely on Trump to keep his word.

Theresa May talked tough but the reality is we cannot defend our island and cannot impose sanctions on Russia that will make any material difference to them.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patreon
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
You're engaging with a moron. I'd love to see what his solution is but there's absolutely no way that he will have one apart from "well we would have sorted this out years ago blah blah liberal society (not sure as society might be too big a word for him) blah pathetic left wingers blah".

The mentality is that if we'd stayed in some sort of 1940's stasis then we'd still be ruling the world (we weren't by then obviously) and would have no need for pointless allegiances with other countries. Or something as ludicrous.

Yeah.... I see what you mean. :facepalm:

ATB :thumbsup:

TheJasperCo

Jan 20, 2012
Exeter
It is all looking as though things will kick off properly soon, so it looks like we won't even get to see the end of our first season in the PL.

Renegade1

Mar 7, 2018
The only way to really teach Putin a lesson is if both England and Russia got to the world cup final and England won.That would be prefect.However the chance of such a mediocre average team who generally are a disaster in world football getting to the final
is remote.Russia's chances aren't much better either.

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
I said years ago Russia is more dangerous than the middle East

Sent from my SM-A310F using Tapatalk

OzMike

Oct 2, 2006
Perth Australia
Apart from sanctions and diplomat expulsions what else can England realistically do, Russia doesn't gave a damn what England thinks and never has done.
In fact, they don't care what anyone thinks about them.

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
I said years ago Russia is more dangerous than the middle East

Sent from my SM-A310F using Tapatalk

That’s not hard to predict considering the land mass, and there is a former kGB megalomaniac in power, who can never relinquish power without being brought to account for corruption & murder. Unless of course he brings in someone he trusts who can grant him immunity, and we all know how many megalomaniacs trust others..... None....

End game death,... who or how many others he takes with him is the real question.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
That’s not hard to predict considering the land mass, and there is a former kGB megalomaniac in power, who can never relinquish power without being brought to account for corruption & murder. Unless of course he brings in someone he trusts who can grant him immunity, and we all know how many megalomaniacs trust others..... None....

End game death,... who or how many others he takes with him is the real question.
Good points, he couldn't retire to Spain or similar and if he stayed in Russia he would have to keep pulling the strings. He has so many secrets that will probably never be known.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
I'm no conspiracy theorist, but it isn't a massive leap that another agency could stage this so the blame lies solely with Russia.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here