Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Harry Kane,Glenn Murray and England W/Cup.

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
A couple of things. When you talk about comparing Murray with Barnes, you're ignoring the fact that Murray is the penalty taker and Barnes isn't: in open play, their records are much closer.

Good point. Even more reason to bring on Murray in tournament football as it may go to penalties.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Sturridge is injured
Welbeck hasn't been playing and hasn't scored
Carroll is injured
Barnes has played for Austrian u20's and is being monitored by them at the moment.

So maybe less of the "ffs" ? You managed to name 3 fit strikers who I would agree are ahead of him.

Lingard will go as a midfielder.

So do you have 2 more fit English strikers? "FFS"
It's not my job to name them - you keep on insisting that I should list some names. Like it or not, the strikers I have named will all be ahead of Murray in the pecking order. You don't think they should be, fair enough, I'm not arguing about that (actually I'm not arguing at all!) - all I'm saying is that, right or wrong, they are all ahead of Murray in the pecking order.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Why is age against him for a one off tournament? No one is suggesting he is the future of England's strike force.

It's a sheer miracle he has outscored all these other BRILLIANT nominations despite his "age and lack of pace" which I continually read......and that's over a season.

He wouldn't start. He would only be brought on if we NEED a goal and are flinging balls into the box. At the moment, I can't think who else I would want coming on than an in-form striker wanting to make a crack at his one international chance.
He won't start, agreed, and he won't be brought on as a sub. either. He won't even be in the squad. Right or wrong, get over it!

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
He wont get picked, but he's on 11 Premier League goals this season now with 9 games to go. Rickie Lambert scored 13 in the 2014 season for Southampton and went to Brazil. #justsaying

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
He won't start, agreed, and he won't be brought on as a sub. either. He won't even be in the squad. Right or wrong, get over it!

I'm almost there with you. Forget whether you think he will or wont go....if you were choosing 5 strikers now, would he be in your 5 at this moment in time. That's with an injured Sturridge and Carroll as they are.

I have nothing to 'get over'. The whole point of this thread is to discuss if he deserves a go, not whether he will actually be given one.

You appear to think I'm on some sort of PR exercise for him. I'm just looking at the facts regarding this season and acknowledging that I would much rather have him than the other AWFUL options of an injured Carroll or and injured Sturridge. Even I'm better than a footballer who can't play football.

sussex_guy2k2

Jun 6, 2014
A couple of things. When you talk about comparing Murray with Barnes, you're ignoring the fact that Murray is the penalty taker and Barnes isn't: in open play, their records are much closer.

Secondly, Murray will be nearly 35 by the time of the WC, he'll have no future in the England team; Barnes, if he were picked and made a go of it, would be around for the next WC too.

Finally, Barnes is a completely different type of player, an in-your-face forward who'd make life tricky for defenders, Murray is a goal poacher.

In truth, neither Barnes nor Murray is really international class but I wouldn't mind betting that Barnes is closer to the team than Murray is.

Have you watched Murray actually play football recently?

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
I'd take Phil Foden to Russia. Kane and Vardy are streets ahead of the other English strikers, Rashford and Defoe are the best of a poor crop besides that.

Pep loves Foden and that counts for something. It would also be good to throw down a marker to the other successful England kids that the door is open for the next 2 tournaments.

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
Rashford doesn't start all the time, but he has played in 38 games for United this season (starting 20), including 25 of their 28 Premier League games, and all of their Champions League games, so to suggest he isn't playing for his club is unfair and also wrong.

and Rashford is a very good player unlike some of teh otehrs on teh list

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
As valuable as Murray is to us, if England pick a 34 year old player who has no pace and relies on perfect service (as Gross supplies) then the national team is in serious trouble.

I think we know that what we are trying to do is improve the situation should a load of sicknotes be picked. I think Rooney has a better case than Wellbeck, Sturridge or Carrol

portslade seagull

Jul 19, 2003
portslade
Most managers would pick the players in form. Why take a misfiring/non playing CF hoping they will come good. Southgate has a choice to make

Leekbrookgull

Jul 14, 2005
Leek
Why is age against him for a one off tournament? No one is suggesting he is the future of England's strike force.

It's a sheer miracle he has outscored all these other BRILLIANT nominations despite his "age and lack of pace" which I continually read......and that's over a season.

He wouldn't start. He would only be brought on if we NEED a goal and are flinging balls into the box. At the moment, I can't think who else I would want coming on than an in-form striker wanting to make a crack at his one international chance.

:clap: Trouble is we know that Southgate one should not be in the job and that he only has one style of play and i am confident that after another poor showing Southgate will not walk.

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
I’d have that Ryan Sessegnon on the left in a three behind Murray alongside Ali & Sterling with Wilshire & Dier protecting a back four that would include Dunk.

Obviously Murray would be filling in for Kane when he was injured.

Hyperion

Nov 1, 2010
The England manager’s job is becoming a joke. Happy to give Murray a debut but seems to have completely ignored Dunk. A short sighted mess

GJN1

Nov 4, 2014
Brighton
Can you imagine WC final vs Brazil, 0-0 with 2 minutes to go.

Murray put through on the break just past the half way line with a 7 yard jump on the last defender, ...........just the keeper to beat....

.......but just before he reaches the box he has to turn around and pass it back cause he knows he'll get chased down before he can even shoot. :facepalm:

Yeah, this is what'll stop him. Not all strikers are rapid but that really was noticeable.

lancyclaret

Jan 10, 2014
It won't happen because the Daily Mail, The Telegraph and The Sun pick the England team for Southgate

You may already have seen it but Southgate was in the directors' box at Burnley's last two home games...against Southampton (Feb 24) and versus Everton (Mar 4). Goalkeepers' or a surprise call-up for Ashley Barnes to prevent Austria getting in first????

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here