Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] How would YOU change the 25 man squad in the summer?

Hampster Gull

Dec 22, 2010
Yes, he is more than capable, but given his European background, so to speak, he will surely have offers to tempt him away with the chance of regular first team football. I hate to say it, but I would differ slightly with the OP, whose choice is largely very good, I think. I accept that Solly has always been a regular and you could argue that with more game time he can only improve, but I fear that on balance, he is not quite good enough for the PL. He did himself no real favours yesterday - wasn't quicker than the full backs and easily bundled off the ball. I think he would do well with a Championship team, but with genuine sadness, I don't see him as PL quality.

As you say it would be really sad to lose Solly. I would give him a year, he has the summer to reflect and prepare and I suspect that could make the difference needed

Horton's halftime iceberg

Blooming Marvellous
Jan 9, 2005
Brighton
Can Goldson not fill the vacancy as cover for Schellotto and also 3rd choice CB. I wouldnt even consider Traore of Middlesbro as I believe that he is all show and no substance or end product.I would sooner look at Swansea No 4 if they get relegated or Lemina if Southampton go down

I would like to see some U23 players promoted, I know we try to emulate the Southampton model so the big fees paid for younger players sees them progreess more. Bjordal, Hall and White as examples.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Of our 25 man squad Maenpaa, Rosenior, Uwe, Suttner, Skalak, Hemed, Baldock don't often get used in a match day squad. Add to that list Murphy, Norwood & Sidwell and we have 4 HGP and a few very experienced and excellent professionals all who haven't caused any problems by not playing regularly.

Many factors will have to be taken into consideration for next season but I would start by looking for improvements for these players but only if someone could compete for a starting place. But I wouldn't be in a hurry to move any of them on as they don't cause problems and as we saw from yesterday it's not ability alone that makes a great squad

I agree with this. All of those players have been great servants of the club, and if they want to leave to get more game time we shouldn't be standing in their way. We ought to get good money for Hemed, Baldock and Norwood. The problem is that it will mean that we need to find HGPs as replacements for the latter two. That means either paying inflated prices for an established PL player (or, more likely, one that is out of contract or on the cheap from a club relegated from the PL) or mining the lower leagues for up-and-coming talent.
Although he will assist with the HGP issue, I think we ought to loan Walton out to a Championship club for next season, so he can get game time. I can't see him displacing Ryan, so his game time would be severely limited if we have him here.
Of all the players you mention, Suttner is the most likely to stay, having joined only recently, and is a decent back-up LB.

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
If you could count properly we would have space for 5 more non home grown players

It's not the counting, it's an incorrect assumption that the Non HGP limit was 15!

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Can Goldson not fill the vacancy as cover for Schellotto and also 3rd choice CB. I wouldnt even consider Traore of Middlesbro as I believe that he is all show and no substance or end product.I would sooner look at Swansea No 4 if they get relegated or Lemina if Southampton go down

Agree about Traore who flopped in the PL for both Villa and Boro (note, no clamour to sign him over the last year) and Lemina is a great CM in the Stephens role with more pace.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I would like to see some U23 players promoted, I know we try to emulate the Southampton model so the big fees paid for younger players sees them progreess more. Bjordal, Hall and White as examples.

I agree about Bjordal and would add Gykores but not so sure about White and Hall as to whether they can push Goldson and also reported White wants to leave for 1st team football.Not sure about Hall he is a slight doubt although he played in the SPL.but not sure how good and ready he is.

bluenitsuj

Listen to me!!!
Feb 26, 2011
Willingdon
If we stay up I would remove.

Hemed
Baldock
Skalak
Bruno
Rosenior

Perkino

Dec 11, 2009
I agree with this. All of those players have been great servants of the club, and if they want to leave to get more game time we shouldn't be standing in their way. We ought to get good money for Hemed, Baldock and Norwood. The problem is that it will mean that we need to find HGPs as replacements for the latter two. That means either paying inflated prices for an established PL player (or, more likely, one that is out of contract or on the cheap from a club relegated from the PL) or mining the lower leagues for up-and-coming talent.
Although he will assist with the HGP issue, I think we ought to loan Walton out to a Championship club for next season, so he can get game time. I can't see him displacing Ryan, so his game time would be severely limited if we have him here.
Of all the players you mention, Suttner is the most likely to stay, having joined only recently, and is a decent back-up LB.

Not questioning their ability in any way and would happily see any of them stay. But some replacements will be brought in and I'd imagine they would replace these players. It will depend on who we are looking at and who wants to come. A top half finish will help those negotiations for new recruits. If Rosenior or Sidwell et al were happy to remain at the club knowing that they may not get in the 25 then I'd be happy for them to stay as maybe they will be needed in Jan to replace a HGP

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
Its all very well people removing the likes of Rosenior, Skalak etc, thats a given. Its more about who in our first XI we're going to replace, thats where it gets tricky because they're doing so well right now, but we will surely be looking to improve our first team

Perkino

Dec 11, 2009
Its all very well people removing the likes of Rosenior, Skalak etc, thats a given. Its more about who in our first XI we're going to replace, thats where it gets tricky because they're doing so well right now, but we will surely be looking to improve our first team

That's not down to us, even in fictional football manager world, We would look to replace someone like Skalak with a winger who has the ability but like Izquierdo CH would integrate them into the squad when they are ready. We are unlikely to get many signings like Propper, Gross & Ryan who are thrown in straight away and that is more to do with not having the competition in those positions to ease them in. If you look back at NSC from Aug then you'll find plenty of threads slating the new signings not being good enough rather than our Championship squad players...Time is what CH will want to prepare them

AZ Gull

@SeagullsAcademy Threads: @bhafcacademy
Oct 14, 2003
Chandler, AZ
No 2 should be Christian Walton for starters, expect him to compete for the No 1 Jersey with Matty Ryan

Which works as it adds a player who is Home Grown.

Would Walton not come back in as the third keeper (although in reality he'd probably be our 2nd choice)?

I've said it before, and I'll probably say it again, but.....

Surely Walton is in his prime development years and needs to be playing games regularly? Naming him in Albion's Premier League squad is potentially restricting him to a handful of competitive games in a season (maybe as few as two, and potentially against lower league opposition).

Walton is a great prospect but even if he plays the rest of Wigan's matches this season, come the end of the campaign his lifetime experience would amount to a season at League One level and two-thirds of a season at League Two level (plus a handful of games in the Cups and three Championship matches for Albion). The fact is, he is still a very inexperienced goalkeeper. Naming him to the Albion Premier League squad isn't going to do him any favours.

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
Perhaps Tammy Abraham will finally think we're good enough for him to come to us on loan.

And then we can tell him where to stick it.

Papa Lazarou

Jul 7, 2003
Worthing

Ok. Sunday's squad was:

Ryan;
Schelotto,
Duffy,
Dunk,
Bong;
Knockaert,
Stephens,
Propper,
Izquierdo;
Gross;
Murray.

Subs

Krul,
Bruno,
Goldson,
Kayal,
March,
Ulloa,
Locadia.

Where is there obvious room for improvement ?

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area

On recent showings, say just Knockaert, although he has improved a lot. More pace in CM would also be great.

Not problems, but exciting challenges for the recruiters and CH to deal with.

The future looks rosy.

Papa Lazarou

Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
why would we want or need him? I would replace Hemed with Ulloa, Rosenior with White and Skalak with Bjordal.

that's not what was suggested . It was subtle but still discernible

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here