Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] How would YOU change the 25 man squad in the summer?

AZ Gull

@SeagullsAcademy Threads: @bhafcacademy
Oct 14, 2003
Chandler, AZ
I would like to see some U23 players promoted, I know we try to emulate the Southampton model so the big fees paid for younger players sees them progreess more. Bjordal, Hall and White as examples.

I agree about Bjordal and would add Gykores but not so sure about White and Hall as to whether they can push Goldson and also reported White wants to leave for 1st team football.Not sure about Hall he is a slight doubt although he played in the SPL.but not sure how good and ready he is.

All of Bjordal, Gyokeres, Hall and White will still be classified as U-21 players next season so even if Hughton saw them as members of his first-team squad, they wouldn't be named in the 25.

Of our existing development squad players, the following will no longer be classified as U-21s next season so if they are retained they would either have to be named in the 25 or go out on loan (or be limited to a diet of U-23s football and potentially the first-team cups):-

Soufyan Ahannach, Ben Barclay, Tom Dallison, Tyler Forbes, Des Hutchinson, Ales Mateju and Mathias Normann

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
All of Bjordal, Gyokeres, Hall and White will still be classified as U-21 players next season so even if Hughton saw them as members of his first-team squad, they wouldn't be named in the 25.

Of our existing development squad players, the following will no longer be classified as U-21s next season so if they are retained they would either have to be named in the 25 or go out on loan (or be limited to a diet of U-23s football and potentially the first-team cups):-

Soufyan Ahannach, Ben Barclay, Tom Dallison, Tyler Forbes, Des Hutchinson, Ales Mateju and Mathias Normann

Interesting and informative. Thanks

MrSnuggles

Apr 29, 2016
The key is to keep on improving the squad year on year. There will be players who we will be sorry to see leave such as Calderon in previous years and more recently lualua, who have all played their part in the resurgence of the club, but as a previous poster said there is no place for sentiment. I would be more concerned of players that we might lose due to obscene offers, Duffy Dunk Ryan Stephens Gross Izquierdo etc as they have all will have been noticed due to their consistent and excellent performances. The biggest concern is if a big six club came in for our recruitment team who have done an excellent job.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath

I must admit I hadnt considered any being U21.so not in the named 25 man squad.

TSB

Captain Hindsight
Jul 7, 2003
Lansdowne Place, Hove
These will leave:
Dunk - £££
Sidwell
Uwe - £
Rosenior
Hemed - ££
Maenpaa or Krul
Towell

There are a few other in the squad who could use an upgrade (not mentioning any names) but focus will be on replacing those above.
As suggested, Walton should be second-choice keeper.
Desperately require who can fulfil the Stephens role to the same level.
Molumby could be an option as fifth-choice CM, however his season has been rather curtailed by injury so he may not have improved enough as a result.
Would like to see if we can get Thomas Delaney from Bremen.
Is Mateju good enough to be third-choice RB? He's 21 so would take up a space.
I'd like us to sign Leo permanently to replace Hemed. If not, then perhaps Sam Gallagher.
Oliver Burke and Ben Brereton are obvious potential home-grown signings. As is Nick Powell.

Joe Gomez is another obvious choice.
Rob Holding on loan.
I'd also think seriously about bringing Tomori in permanently.

Top quality ball-playing CB required.

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
Need to get a winger as good as Izquierdo to replace Knockeart

The way I see it is IF we can upgrade any position in the starting 11 then that in turn strengthens the bench. I wonder how much it would cost to replace Knockaert and whether he'd accept being semi permanently on the bench.

Tekanne

Feb 4, 2015
The way I see it is IF we can upgrade any position in the starting 11 then that in turn strengthens the bench. I wonder how much it would cost to replace Knockaert and whether he'd accept being semi permanently on the bench.

Judging by his reaction to being subbed on Sunday (which everyone seems to have brushed under the carpet..?), then I don't think he would. Not a huge loss. Will never have Izquierdo's movement, pace, finishing etc.

Replacing him won't be cheap, but you'd hope it's a position that the club have been looking at. Knockeart has been average all season

ewe2

Mar 14, 2008
Hailsham area
I am not so sure there will be wholesale changes.Our team spirit defines us,we lose it at our peril.The central defender situation ,if Dunk goes top 6 for silly money,and Uwe returns to his family,will Goldson get the job,and if he doesnt !!???The 4 strikers,will Baldock and Hemed enjoy their s ituation,if Ulloa is signed....!?Why would Walton want to come home ...?Murphy,Norwood,Ince,Towell and Skalak should IMO be sold if possible.And as for Bruno........??!!!!

saafend_seagull

Jul 5, 2003
BN1
Keep the same three keepers, no way Walton will want to be a back up. Loan him to a club in the championship.

Out
Baldock
Rosenoir
Hemed
Skalak
Bruno
Sidwell (not in 25?)

-Ulloa turn permanent

- powerful pacey cm from abroad to replace rosenoir

- mitrovic type player to upgrade on hemed

- attacking centre (James Maddison or Tom cairney) to replace baldock

- Bruno, replace with a young British full back on loan (the lad we had from Chelsea)

- skalak replace by a player like traore or adamoah

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jackanada

Jul 19, 2011
Brighton
I neither expect not desire more than three players to be signed that would make a significant number of match day squads.

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
A few thoughts based on the above.

Can we use some nicer terminology? Talking about "getting rid of" and "upgrading" the players who've got us into this position is all a bit unsavoury isn't it. They blatantly read all this you know.

Bruno is worth another year.

Knocky has been growing into this season and is easily good enough to start in a mid table premier team (ie us)

There are players who have been good servants who deserve first team football. Ie Rosenior, Skalak, Sidwell, Uwe, Hemed, Baldock, I expect all 6 will leave and they should go with our blessing

I also imagine someone (i'm going to guess West Ham) will offer to double Dunk's wages. If so, best of luck Lewis. I think one or two others may be tempted by more first team football as well, maybe Kayal, maybe Goldson

I'm also going to guess that about half of the replacements for the 7-10 that go will all have genuine first team potential, half will be obvious back ups.

4 or 5 players of genuine first team potential, will set Tony back about £50m to £80m in this market. Ouch

I think Walton is best served by another year on loan. If we could send him abroad for experience that would be great. The following season, back to the Albion to try to displace Maty.

Don't forget, we might still go down

TSB

Captain Hindsight
Jul 7, 2003
Lansdowne Place, Hove
Can't you think of anyone in this division that might want him?

Yes, but not in the top six (too slow).
Aside from them, I see no reason why he would want to leave. Don't think the opportunity to turn out for Watford or Burnley is any more appealing.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
The biggest concern is if a big six club came in for our recruitment team who have done an excellent job.

Bloody hell, that is so key. Winstanley has gone from NSC villain (at times, by many), to being invaluable.

The Albion have an amazingly effective system of gaining quality at value in most transfers inwards. In contrast as one example, Everton pinched Steve Walsh from Leicester, which has been a £300m disaster.

Jul 5, 2003
Bristol
Assuming we stay up, i'd feel bold enough to get rid of the players who haven't featured much and replace with two types of player- young, lower league British prospects and players that will improve the first team.
Maddison at Norwich is the obvious one. Joe Bryan and Joe Worrall others believe we were linked with both. Let's use it as a chance to really get some young, quality in.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here