Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] How would YOU change the 25 man squad in the summer?

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
I kind of agree with you - but then I do think Maenpaa and Hune will ask to leave (would prefer both to stay), I expect Bruno to go out to pasture a la Calde, and I don't think it's any secret that Jiri will be off. I also expect Dunk to go for silly money though I'd love him not to. So that's 5. I can't see us going in to next season with 5 strikers and I expect us to sign Ulloa so logically that's Hemed off (6). Which leaves the upgrade on baldock (who i rate and would like to see stay but suspect he may be disillusioned) and Sidwell, who unfortunately the years appear to be catching up with. So that's 7 or 8. Even a conservative view gets you to at least 4-5. Another busy summer for the recruitment team potentially, but also maybe necessary as we won't keep surviving on passion - we'll need to keep progressing.

IF we stay up.

I think I agree with you on this, and also on (what I think was) your previous post, listing the players who will be off. The one thing to remember is that although 8 may go, we may not replace them all, especially if there's a DS player or two who are both ready to step up to the 25 man squad and will no longer qualify for u21 status.
So, I suspect we'll end up signing 6 or 7, while moving 8 on. If one of those is Ulloa who replaces Hemed in the squad, that transaction won't cost too much extra money. That leaves 5 or 6 signings, of which at least one will be a HGP from the lower leagues. The remainder will be challenging for a first team place or at least in the 18, and that'll cost. We ought to recoup a fair bit though from the sales of Baldock, Hemed, Norwood and if he goes, especially, Dunk.
Walton shouldn't rot on the bench this season. However good he is, he's not going to be displacing Ryan in a hurry. In fact, beyond De Gea and Ederson, I'm not sure there's been too many better goalkeepers in the PL this season. Walton should go out on loan to a Championship club (Wigan?) to continue gaining first-team experience.
So, I think we'll need: a third-choice goalkeeper; a rival to Schelotto at RB; one or two CBs, depending on Dunk (so, probably, two); a winger, a CM to rival Kayal, Propper and Stephens (Delaney?); a back-up ACM for Gross (Powell?); a winger; and another striker. The latter two should probably be young, quick and promising rather than the finished article, we've now got decent quality in those positions, so we can afford to target such prospects.

Exile

Objective but passionate
Aug 10, 2014
Ok. Sunday's squad was:

Ryan;
Schelotto,
Duffy,
Dunk,
Bong;
Knockaert,
Stephens,
Propper,
Izquierdo;
Gross;
Murray.

Subs

Krul,
Bruno,
Goldson,
Kayal,
March,
Ulloa,
Locadia.

Where is there obvious room for improvement ?

The harsh truth, is EVERYWHERE. Every single player*, much as we love them, COULD be upgraded.

Remember how many on here derided the ‘pointless’ signing of Shane Duffy, who we ‘simply didn’t need’?

* though I’m actually struggling as to who would be an obviously upgrade on Dunk.

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
The harsh truth, is EVERYWHERE. Every single player*, much as we love them, COULD be upgraded.

Remember how many on here derided the ‘pointless’ signing of Shane Duffy, who we ‘simply didn’t need’?

* though I’m actually struggling as to who would be an obviously upgrade on Dunk.

IF you read back through the conversation you'll see that i agree with you... although the sentence at the end makes it sound like I don't think it's possible.

My original thrust was to release / sell / loan 8 players to make space for improvements.. as we bring in upgrades in each position, the current starter becomes our 1st choice sub from the squad.

Audax

Boing boing boing...
Aug 3, 2015
Uckfield

This. Unfortunately, I think we're currently very restricted on how we set the formation and that makes us very predictable. I don't think the squad has the flexibility to accommodate changes in formation, whether that be from one game to another, or even within a specific game (as epitomised by our tendency to concede goals when Hughton makes defensive subs to defend a lead).

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
The Spurs commentator just, not particularly subtly, alluded to a very good point.
After Son scored he said 'what a goal from a player worth so much to Spurs'.

Begging the question instead of giving Winstano another Interrail ticket and telling him to not come back until he has 4 players.
Perhaps he should be given a plane ticket to either India or the Far East.

Papa Lazarou

Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
This. Unfortunately, I think we're currently very restricted on how we set the formation and that makes us very predictable. I don't think the squad has the flexibility to accommodate changes in formation, whether that be from one game to another, or even within a specific game (as epitomised by our tendency to concede goals when Hughton makes defensive subs to defend a lead).

I see the main restriction on flexibility revolves around our midfield. We only have Gross, Propper, Stephens and Kayal, which means anything unusual is not possible. We've played 5 at the back before, so we have the flex there, and we have options up front.

Papa Lazarou

Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
So, if we were to get Nick Powell, as per the other thread:

Based upon this article: http://the4thofficial.net/2018/03/b...23-yo-league-one-midfielder-good-fit-hughton/

That would fill one of the slots beautifully.

1. Ryan Non HGP 1
2. Krul
3. NEW KEEPER

4, Bruno Non HGP 2
5. Schelotto Non HGP 3
6. NEW DEFENDER
7. Suttner Non HGP 4
8. Bong Non HGP 5
9. Dunk
10. Duffy
11. NEW DEFENDER
12. Goldson

13. Pröpper Non HGP 6
14. Stephens
15. Nick Powell
16. Kayal Non HGP 7
17. Groß Non HGP 8

18. Knockaert Non HGP 9
19. Izquierdo Non HGP 10
20. March
21. NEW WINGER

22. NEW STRIKER
23. Locadia Non-HGP 11
24. Murray Non HGP 12
25. NEW STRIKER

Edit to add: Were we to get Powell, it would make the Non-HGP calculation at lot easier.

Last edited:

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
Solly March isn't good enough, we'll need a new winger for next season. Obviously Baldock and Hemed are done, so they'll be off. We need a better quality left back. Suttner doesn't appear to have impressed Hughton so we'll need someone to come in and be better than Bong. Centre back we're well stocked for, although I would imagine Hünemeier will be off and need replacing which will be a tough sell. Dunk and Duffy are the obvious first choices, Goldson is more than capable of being a starter so we're effectively going to be recruiting a fourth choice centre back, probably someone who can cover the full back positions as well.

We need to replace Sidwell in the midfield but Stephens, Propper and Kayal are all more than competent in a top 10 Premier League team. Ulloa or a similar type will need to come in, Glenn probably doesn't have more than another season at this level. If we lose Gross then we'll need a quality number 10 to come in as well.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
I'd get rid of Pascal Gross, if we could find anyone to take him off our hands, and replace him with someone consistent.

Papa Lazarou

Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
I'd get rid of Pascal Gross, if we could find anyone to take him off our hands, and replace him with someone consistent.

He was absolute shit for most of the season, with a bit of show-boating recently with his passing stuff.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
With Bruno's welcome new contract singed...

GK : Replace Maenpaa, re-sign Krul.

Defence : Rosenior, Huenemeier ( and Dunk [£] ) to leave. 2/3 new recruits ( perhaps Mateju steps up ).

Center Midfield : Sidwell and/or Kayal [£] to go. Increase number in squad from 4 to 5, so 1 or 2 new recruits.

Flank midfield : Maybe 1 new recruit - which would mean the end of Skalak [£] and Ahannach [£].

Strikers : Reduce number in squad from 5 to 4 meaning Hemed [£] to go. Leo to sign, and Baldock [£] to be replaced.

Norwood [£] and Towell [£] to go.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
Centre back - I'd be very surprised if Dunk is still here next season

Assuming we're not relegated and he's only going to be sold to a top 6 club, and the club won't want to let him go, and he's signed 3 new contracts in a matter of years. then who is seriously considering a bid for England's 7th or 8th best choice CB. ?
Even then , premier league clubs thanks to TV ££ are now lot less resistant to this sort of top 4 or top 6 poaching.

jasetheace

Apr 13, 2011
Ok. Taken my time to join this thread. I believe this can be done relatively cost effectively.

Firstly the outs: Skalak, Hemed, Norwood, Ince, Rosenior (coaching staff), Baldock (harsh but better for him really)

Upgraded to a championship loan for those impressive lads currently doing well in Leagues 1 and 2 (not including Walton).

Goalkeepers: Ryan/Krul/Walton

Defenders:

Bruno
Fredericks (from Fulham)
Duffy
Dunk
Goldson
Hunemeier (we do not need to change an outstanding foursome at CB)
Bong
Suttner (The two LB will not be changing despite what some may wish for)

Midfield

Stephens
Propper
Wilshere
Cairney
Molumbey (about time a much lauded youngster was given a chance)
Gross

Wingers

Knockaert
March
Izqueirdo
Adama Traore (Middlesbrough)

Forwards

Murray
Locadia
Ulloa
Powell

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London
This.

I agree with the posters on the player of the season thread, that Gross’s lickers are overrating his season, down to a few goals and assists.

Need to ship him out.

I think you are being very harsh on Gross. He has scored/assisted more goals than any player in our team and, when he plays well, we seem to play well too. He's also setup more chances than most players in the league so, while he doesn't do well every game, he is as consistent as most players in that position.

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London
Assuming we're not relegated and he's only going to be sold to a top 6 club, and the club won't want to let him go, and he's signed 3 new contracts in a matter of years. then who is seriously considering a bid for England's 7th or 8th best choice CB. ?
Even then , premier league clubs thanks to TV ££ are now lot less resistant to this sort of top 4 or top 6 poaching.

You say that but Keane left Burnley for Everton last summer after they stayed up. I think someone will give us an offer we can't refuse. It might be a top six side or it might be an Everton/Leicester, who are more likely to be in the Premier League long term.

Having said that, I'd be happy to be proved wrong and Dunk stays

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here