Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] That cross

MrSnuggles

Apr 29, 2016
Great anticipation from Murray with Mustaffi jumping in front of him. Absolutely inch perfect! Cross of the season. And to thnk Gross only cost 3 million!! Wonder what he's worth now?

Berty23

Jun 26, 2012
My best mate is a Leeds fan and it drives him mad that we are better than them (we met in 1997 at uni and our clubs have taken slightly different trajectories). Rarely praises us but he sent me message saying

"It is ridiculous you have groß, that cross reminded me of Beckham and if he was English he would be going to the World Cup"
That'll do me.

One of the best signings in the premier league for many years.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Vorsprung Durch Technik

Hastings gull

Nov 23, 2013
Just feel the cross from Gross for the second goal deserves its own thread. It was just perfect. Can’t believe we have players with that quality at the club! Happpy days.

Obviously one can be easily influenced by listening to the commentator, but having watched the match again afterwards on Sky, it was amazing how often Gross's passing was mentioned.

Hastings gull

Nov 23, 2013
Gross is THAT good that it didn't even appear in my mind that he couldn't land the ball on Murrays head.

Genuinely, the ball was played out to him and I shouted MURRAYS THERE. You could already see the goal on.

It's only now that I realise how GOOD that cross was and there was still so much to actually do. It just goes to show that his level of performance is so constantly great that I just ASSUMED he would make the cross.

You can see from the film that the cross was quite deliberate as Murray moved forward. True class. And "only" 3 million.

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Completely agree with OP, deserves its own thread. It annoyed me watching it on both BBC and Sky highlights that all the commentary was about the (admittedly shite) defending, especially giving it away in the first place and then the defenders/keeper who might have done better.

But if that had been Beckham in his pomp, they would all have been creaming themselves about the quality of Gross's delivery. If the cross had not been inch perfect, it would not have been a goal. He took out the two defenders in the middle and the goalkeeper at a stroke.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
There is a real difference in judgement of the flight of the cross from Murray and Mustafi that the gif really highlights, when it first leaves the German magician's right boot, Mustafi thinks it is going to drop shorter and makes a move forward, Murray on the other clocks the flight so early, he gains that advantage. Mid flight Mustafi realises all too late he is well under the cross and you can see the moment he panics.

It is a superb cross from Gross, but Murray picking up the flight so early is where he's made his experience count.

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
We ought to have a 'those little things' thread running.

Sure this cross isn't a 'little thing', but did anyone else notice PG when Dunk scored.
He was the first man to Lewis, went mental, then thought:-

'hang on I'm the Ice-Man' and just walked off, before formally congratulating Lewis after the melee had died down.

Freakin LEGEND.

Surf's Up

Jul 17, 2011
Here
Absolute perfection, particularly given that it involved two of the slowest offensive players in the PL. No substitute for class.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012

MrSnuggles

Apr 29, 2016
Having now seen it a dozen times in as many seconds, I'd like to complain about Schelotto. Why the hell did he turn away from goal before we'd scored? If Cech had saved it, Schelotto should have been en-route to the rebound.

He knew Cech was going to fluff it!

dazzer6666

NSC Patreon
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Having now seen it a dozen times in as many seconds, I'd like to complain about Schelotto. Why the hell did he turn away from goal before we'd scored? If Cech had saved it, Schelotto should have been en-route to the rebound.

He knew Gross was going to drop it on Murray’s head, and he knew Murray was going to bury it.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here