Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Can we have a go at untangling the bizarre Wenger trousers analogy?

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Apologies if this is elsewhere, but probably funny enough to repeat anyway.

Wenger on Arsenal's defeat to Brighton: "When you have just the trousers on, it's easy to take the trousers off as well. But when you are naked completely, you have to find a shirt and try to put it on again, get dressed normally again."

So what did he mean? Who is 'you'? What do the trousers represent? Who or what is naked? Why is replacing trousers with a shirt the solution? What is 'dressed normally' anyway? What does any of this have to do with the Arsenal defence? Is it better/worse than trawlers and seagulls? What the f**k is he on about?

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
Maybe it's one of those nightmares where you are giving a presentation at work, getting married in church etc.. and discover you have forgotten to get dressed that morning? and try to carry on in the vain hope that nobody else will notice?

Last edited:

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
He is the trousers. Arsenal is the 'you'.

They can get rid of him, but then arsenal will be vulnerable and exposed to the elements. But if they put some more clothes on, then the trousers can come off and they will be better placed to face the elements.

Essentially, he is suggesting if they get rid of him now, Arsenal will collapse. If they let him put them back on the right track, then he can go and Arsenal will continue to improve with the new guy.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
After watching his battles with that ridiculous sleeping bat jacket thing in recent years, I'm not sure I'd take anything he said about clothes particularly seriously.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Seagulls following the trawler sounded wise, even if it was nonsense. this sounds load of nonsense, even if he might have wisdom behind it. he might be trying to say the squad isnt right mix, if you have the players available you can change them, if you dont you have to start looking for them. he is naked because the squad doesnt have the players or they are suited to different games. which as manager for so long is his own fault.

i've probably over thought this.

dingodan

Feb 16, 2011
You shit your trousers.

Arsenal were shit.

That's my reading of it.

papajaff

Aug 7, 2005
Brighton
He's trying to get a Cantona type statement logged in folklore. But has failed miserably.

Mind you, he had lovely shoes on.

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
Translation is "I can't do up my coat but I'm really good at trousers" ... add in a few sardines and a trawler and you'll get the gist of it!

Spicy

We're going up.
Dec 18, 2003
London
He is the trousers. Arsenal is the 'you'.

They can get rid of him, but then arsenal will be vulnerable and exposed to the elements. But if they put some more clothes on, then the trousers can come off and they will be better placed to face the elements.

Essentially, he is suggesting if they get rid of him now, Arsenal will collapse. If they let him put them back on the right track, then he can go and Arsenal will continue to improve with the new guy.

Well I am really impressed if that is what he meant.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
It's The Wrong Trousers Analogy Gromit

Wallace_and_gromit.jpg

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
It is the title of a fairy tale by Arsene Wenger about a manager who pays a lot of money for some new magic players which can only be seen by wise people. The players do not really exist, but the manager does not admit he cannot see them, because he does not want to seem stupid.

SeagullDubai

May 13, 2016
I think it means that he has been stripped naked by the press and the fans and has no reputation left. If he had his trousers he would still have a reputation that could be stripped. Since he is now naked he needs to find more clothes to build up his reputation. .

Alternatively he may have gone round the bend.

Sent from my MI 6 using Tapatalk

The Sock of Poskett

The best is yet to come (spoiler alert)
Jun 12, 2009
It's a coded way of say 'We lost to a team with more flair than us'.
Once Arsene started admiring our flair players, his mind naturally moved onto trousers (bet he's got some flares in his wardrobe) and that's where his analogy headed afterwards.
If I was his analogy I'd have gone for a swift pint and kept my mouth shut.

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
Apologies if this is elsewhere, but probably funny enough to repeat anyway.

Wenger on Arsenal's defeat to Brighton: "When you have just the trousers on, it's easy to take the trousers off as well. But when you are naked completely, you have to find a shirt and try to put it on again, get dressed normally again."

So what did he mean? Who is 'you'? What do the trousers represent? Who or what is naked? Why is replacing trousers with a shirt the solution? What is 'dressed normally' anyway? What does any of this have to do with the Arsenal defence? Is it better/worse than trawlers and seagulls? What the f**k is he on about?

I think Sanchez was the trousers and the bloke from Dortmund is the shirt, and basically, Wenger is saying that now he feels a bit exposed because the new signing isn’t good enough to disguise the fact that his manhood is on show and everyone is laughing at him.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here