Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] My first post here ( 22 years supporting the albion) summer transfer worries

Tomdibble

Mar 5, 2018
West Norwood London
I am a regular stalker of North stand chat but never got a profile set up until now..
Absolutely delighted with the progress we are making with a "relegation favourite" squad . I honestly think Chris and the team deserve a medal for the work in the transfer market and not just this season . There was a time when a Brighton transfer was a punt at best . We seem to have a settled squad . However does anyone else have an looming sense of dread at the potential ram raid on our squad in the summer ? Are The like of Dunk , Duffy , Ryan - our backbone ... All on the radar or squads struggling defensively? Can we compete with the mega salaries if we stay up ?

On a side note I believe 10th in the league is a fair reflection of our quality and there are too many clubs worse below us to go down .including palace preferably .

Looking forward to many more posts here . :)

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
I wouldn't worry too much, players come and go all the time, I see no reason not to trust the set up we've got at the club.

We're on the up.

seagull_special

Jun 9, 2008
Abu Dhabi
Strategically we will be setting up for all outcomes, part of establishing a lower order PL Club is dealing with inevitable losses. Burnley and Watford do it well. The former lost Keane and Tarkowsky came to the fore. Anyone sold will be at a premium and our recruitment team will be looking for value in foreign markets.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Ryan will stay for sure.

There is a case that Dunk and maybe even March will leave, but I seriously don't think anyone else will be poached.

Pantani

Il Pirata
Dec 3, 2008
Newcastle
I think people need to calm down on how good others perceive our players to be.

Ryan- Good keeper at this level, but would cost a lot to buy as on a long contract. £15-20m obviously no takers at that price.
Dunk- The only realistic one, but again we are going to want £25m plus. After Everton getting so badly burnt over Keane the top sides may want to see more than one good season.
Duffy- Love him to bits, wins every header. But if you are any of the big boys you need a centre back who can pass at least a little, Duffy is not that guy.
Propper- £25m+ to get him. He is good but not top 6 good.
Stephens- See Propper, plus a bit old.
Izquierdo- Only played really well in six or seven games in England so far. £30m+ to buy him so no takers again.
Gross- Actually the only one I really worry about, we would want £30m plus, unless he has a release clause. Lack of pace counts against him for the top sides.
Murray- Likes living in Brighton too much to move

I know we love these players but the rest of the Premier League is not raving about most of them..

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
Why are we talking about selling our players, we've not guaranteed our berth in PL next season.
Surely when we do that, I cannot see TB giving up on selling our players for big bucks, he'll want to keep them, it's maddening!

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Why are we talking about selling our players, we've not guaranteed our berth in PL next season.
Surely when we do that, I cannot see TB giving up on selling our players for big bucks, he'll want to keep them, it's maddening!

The time to worry would be if we were looking likely to be relegated...which isn't the case currently

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
Honestly I think the only players likely to leave this summer are the Championship-squad players (if we stay up). Hemed, Baldock, Uwe, Sidwell, Skalak. Maenpaa.

If we lose Dunk (the only one of our big players I worry might turn heads), Goldson will step up. I have zero doubts about that.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
However does anyone else have an looming sense of dread at the potential ram raid on our squad in the summer ?
No. Well ok, yes, others will also share your concern, but I don't.

Brighton fans are too used to having no money and having to sell to balance the books. We certainly don't need to do that. And yes, there will be times when we have to let our best players go on to bigger clubs, but that doesn't have to be at the first opportunity.

If we survive, we'll be one of 11 clubs outside the top 6 that have done so, and all those clubs will face offers for their best players, and a lot of offers will be turned down.

IMO Tony would be stupid to let too many leave, and Tony's not stupid.

PS - West Norwood :lol:

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
No. Well ok, yes, others will also share your concern, but I don't.

Brighton fans are too used to having no money and having to sell to balance the books. We certainly don't need to do that. And yes, there will be times when we have to let our best players go on to bigger clubs, but that doesn't have to be at the first opportunity.

If we survive, we'll be one of 11 clubs outside the top 6 that have done so, and all those clubs will face offers for their best players, and a lot of offers will be turned down.

IMO Tony would be stupid to let too many leave, and Tony's not stupid.

PS - West Norwood :lol:

This :thumbsup:

dingodan

Feb 16, 2011
UqKPzqA.gif

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
Stay up, and unless a very sizeable offer is received, the only ones that will be leaving are those where we bring in a better player and need to offload as they won't make the 25 man squad

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here