Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] So it turns out that Anthony Knockaert really IS better than Ozil...

Bob'n'weave

Nov 18, 2016
Nr Lewes
His strop got a special tounge-in-cheek mention on MOTD2 with a clip of the big lip flounce and seat kick.
I think they like him.
:thumbsup:

sussex_guy2k2

Jun 6, 2014
.. which is nice

Very good game yesterday, again. Excellent work ethic and team ethic and some nice bits of skill. And probably the only player we really can instantly forgive throwing his toys out of the pram when substituted :lolol:

I love the positivity but he really isn't better than Ozil. It's like Tesco Value chocolate vs Lindors.

Based on this thread, I must be the only one who was a tad disappointed with Knocky again yesterday. I thought he was very good defensively, but he's the weak link going forward at the moment and it often feels like the Greyhound is having to dominate the whole wing on his own.

Munkfish

May 1, 2006
I love the positivity but he really isn't better than Ozil. It's like Tesco Value chocolate vs Lindors.

Based on this thread, I must be the only one who was a tad disappointed with Knocky again yesterday. I thought he was very good defensively, but he's the weak link going forward at the moment and it often feels like the Greyhound is having to dominate the whole wing on his own.

What!?

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
Let's just say he's confident in his own ability, shall we?

And I'm fine with that most of the time. Yesterday it was ruddy infuriating when AK and Glenn were both unmarked in front of goal.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove

Did you watch with a paper bag over your head yesterday!?

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
And I'm fine with that most of the time. Yesterday it was ruddy infuriating when AK and Glenn were both unmarked in front of goal.

He's a young lad, played plenty of passes and set up goals when he could have gone on his own prior to this. When you have a talent like that, you have to excuse the odd decision they get wrong.

Hastings gull

Nov 23, 2013
Agree with the comments above, but he still needs to improve his decision making. A number of occasions yesterday when he held on to the ball for too long, one of them in a defensive situation which could have resulted in a goal.

Agreed. he can excite and frustrate in equal measure. He has to learn to pass more often instead of trying to beat the full back twice. Great to see him improving and the strop only shows how determined he was to play his part.

MrSnuggles

Apr 29, 2016
The better substitution would have been Locadia (or Ulloa) for Murray in my opinion. Murray was knackered due to the shift he put in, as evident when he was clean through. A fresh pair of legs up front and l think we could have exploited the gaps! Knockaert was still running around like a two year old when he got subbed!

sussex_guy2k2

Jun 6, 2014
Did you watch with a paper bag over your head yesterday!?

Clearly not. Can you honestly tell me what he did that was decisive in the game for us offensively?

Like I say, he defended well, and as I said in the player ratings thread, he barely gave the ball away.

But offensively, he simply isn’t producing enough in terms of decisive moments. He isn’t carrying the team forward in the way Izquierdo, Gross, Schelotto do (and March can), and he slows moves down far too often. The key reason why someone like Gross is getting the assists he is is because he knows what’s around him and he knows what he wants to do with the ball before it gets to him (and he backs it up with a quality delivery on a very regular basis). Knockaert, at this level, simply isn’t offering us these things.

Don’t be confused, it’s absolutely telling that the player brought off for March was Knockaert and not Izquierdo.

Westdene Wonder

Aug 3, 2010
Brighton
Deserved to be forgiven. Thought he played really well. Presumably that sub was purely to have some fresh legs in front of Bruno at a point when the team was tiring. So fully justified to be fed up when he was enjoying himself and great that he cares so much.

I feel he was taken off before he was sent off, a good move by the manager.

Chijeff

Jan 23, 2017
The better substitution would have been Locadia (or Ulloa) for Murray in my opinion. Murray was knackered due to the shift he put in, as evident when he was clean through. A fresh pair of legs up front and l think we could have exploited the gaps! Knockaert was still running around like a two year old when he got subbed!
I also found CH decision strange. Should in my opinion subbed around the 75 min mark. Murray looked shot, fresh legs from either of the 2 mentioned could really have damaged Arsenal.

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
Clearly not. Can you honestly tell me what he did that was decisive in the game for us offensively?

Like I say, he defended well, and as I said in the player ratings thread, he barely gave the ball away.

But offensively, he simply isn’t producing enough in terms of decisive moments. He isn’t carrying the team forward in the way Izquierdo, Gross, Schelotto do (and March can), and he slows moves down far too often. The key reason why someone like Gross is getting the assists he is is because he knows what’s around him and he knows what he wants to do with the ball before it gets to him (and he backs it up with a quality delivery on a very regular basis). Knockaert, at this level, simply isn’t offering us these things.

Don’t be confused, it’s absolutely telling that the player brought off for March was Knockaert and not Izquierdo.

Knockaert created and was involved in plenty of our key moments going forward on sunday, I thought he had a terrific game all round.

Unlucky with the effort from the Gross back heel and a lovely pass going forward to release Izquerdo that he over played on and should have returned the pass.

they are 2 off the top of my head.

Izquerdo stayed on as he is quicker on the counter... not really because he had a better game then Knockaert.

they both over play at times, and I really don't mind it, I enjoy that we have 2 wingers trying to make something happen going forward.

Its why March is not in the side, no where near positive enough on the ball currently, he has it in him though to change that.

jackanada

Jul 19, 2011
Brighton

Or could have been putting on someone less excitable to help the less pacy Bruno.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here