Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] So it turns out that Anthony Knockaert really IS better than Ozil...

BN41Albion

Oct 1, 2017
I loved seeing his strop on motd. Very funny, esp then seeing him on the pitch bouncing around at full time. Missed it when at the game. Wears his heart on his sleeve, certainly goes ott at times but i love the passion he plays with. And to be fair, imo that was one of hughtons more bizzare subs imo - he was all over the place hassling and being his niggly self as well as playing well going forward - thought March came on and was too light weight again. Needs to get in the gym!

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
I think there is a big gap between Izquierdo and March , the latter has lost that bit of exciting play he had and also looks weaker than he did at start of the season when I was surprised how easy he shrugged off players. Our next best wing player is Schelotto who has the pace and strength to get to the bye line and get the ball across. AK is behind Izquierdo but ahead of March because he has the potential to turn it on e.g. the sublime finish against Swansea. So at the moment unless he is injured Izquierdo should stay the full 90.

Whilst I would have loved Locadia to have come on for Murray in last 15 mins I think Hughton sensed it was a game for someone with 'nouse' rather than speed & power.

sussex_guy2k2

Jun 6, 2014
Knockaert created and was involved in plenty of our key moments going forward on sunday, I thought he had a terrific game all round.

Unlucky with the effort from the Gross back heel and a lovely pass going forward to release Izquerdo that he over played on and should have returned the pass.

they are 2 off the top of my head.

Izquerdo stayed on as he is quicker on the counter... not really because he had a better game then Knockaert.

they both over play at times, and I really don't mind it, I enjoy that we have 2 wingers trying to make something happen going forward.

Its why March is not in the side, no where near positive enough on the ball currently, he has it in him though to change that.

An interesting view. I thought he showed a total lack of composure from the Gross back heel and made a very presentable chance into an easy miss.

I don’t remember the pass you’re referring to with regards to Izquierdo so I can’t comment.

I’d wager Izquierdo stayed on because March is seen as a better defensive player to cover Bruno than Knockaert.

Look, I don’t think he played awfully (my ratings show that in the ratings thread). And I do think he kept the ball well and worked hard defensively.

But he missed his one very presentable chance, he’s not the outlet he was last year, and he does slow us down quite markedly when attacking. Add that to the general lack of output over the course of the whole season, and I think I’m within my rights to suggest he’s our weakest attacking player at present. It’s just a critical analysis of what I’ve seen, rather than a lambasting of our player. But then again he set his standards so high last year that I guess I just expect more than he’s currently producing!

phoenix

May 18, 2009
I also found CH decision strange. Should in my opinion subbed around the 75 min mark. Murray looked shot, fresh legs from either of the 2 mentioned could really have damaged Arsenal.

But it wasn't about damaging Arsenal was it ? it was about stopping Arsenal damaging us. There is no way Locadia was getting on, we were trying not to concede. Leo possibly.

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
An interesting view. I thought he showed a total lack of composure from the Gross back heel and made a very presentable chance into an easy miss.

I don’t remember the pass you’re referring to with regards to Izquierdo so I can’t comment.

I’d wager Izquierdo stayed on because March is seen as a better defensive player to cover Bruno than Knockaert.

Look, I don’t think he played awfully (my ratings show that in the ratings thread). And I do think he kept the ball well and worked hard defensively.

But he missed his one very presentable chance, he’s not the outlet he was last year, and he does slow us down quite markedly when attacking. Add that to the general lack of output over the course of the whole season, and I think I’m within my rights to suggest he’s our weakest attacking player at present. It’s just a critical analysis of what I’ve seen, rather than a lambasting of our player. But then again he set his standards so high last year that I guess I just expect more than he’s currently producing!

you also have to remember that teams were and are very aware of the threat of Knockaert, early in the season taking Knockaert out of the game impacted on our play massively and teams concentrated on that.

Now with Izquerdo we are a threat from both sides which has helped both players and the team as a whole, we have a threat from a few areas now.

With regard to the chance, I really don't think it was anything like as easy as you are suggesting, it came to him almost under his feet, and I consider it a pretty decent effort which bought a fine save from Cech.

The knockaert pass was probably one of the best in the match....

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I’ve had enough of him. Time for him to move onto another club.

bWize

Nov 6, 2007
After one moment, the first red card in his career, our player of the season last year and a fantastic performance only one game earlier, you've 'had enough of him'?

Far more likely he's had enough of you

Bit harsh. He does raise a point. If it was just the red card today then fair enough, but AK has been stropping on the reg for a while now. He is a loose cannon who has the potential destabilize the entire team. Get rid may be a bit harsh, but he does need a little time out (which he will now get) to have a good word with himself. Just speculating but the way he has been acting/playing tells me for whatever reason he isn't happy and may want out. Wasn't it rumored he wanted out around January?

Something definitely isn't right with him.

Last edited:

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
Bit harsh. He does raise a point. If it was just the red card today then fair enough, but AK has been stropping on the reg for a while now. He is a loose cannon who has the potential destabilize the entire team. Get rid may be a bit harsh, but he does need a little time out (which he will now get) to have a good word with himself. Just speculating but the way he has been acting/playing tells me for whatever reason he isn't happy and may want out. Wasn't it rumored he wanted out around January?

Something definitely isn't right with him.

he was excellent last week, and has been very good right throughout this good spell of ours. I don't know what you mean by 'something definitely isn't right with him'.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
After one moment, the first red card in his career, our player of the season last year and a fantastic performance only one game earlier, you've 'had enough of him'?

Far more likely he's had enough of you

He’s been showing petulant signs all season though. And yes he played well last week. And when things go his way he’s fine. But when things don’t he gets stroppy and blames everyone but himself. My opinion is that he is taking time to settle at this level but instead of keeping his head down and learning and training, like Izquierdo and Pröpper have, he gets sulky and moody. This seems to be his character.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Knocky has a bad game and so many jump on it. Barnes all over again. Passion comes out differently in players, and if it wasn’t for AK we wouldn’t be in the Premier League imo. Still has credit in the bank for me, but then I was a big Ashley Barnes fan tooo.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Knocky has a bad game and so many jump on it. Barnes all over again. Passion comes out differently in players, and if it wasn’t for AK we wouldn’t be in the Premier League imo. Still has credit in the bank for me, but then I was a big Ashley Barnes fan tooo.

Exactly.

Before the sending off he was poor today, IMO, normally even when he’s been off form, he has put in a shift, the difference today was that he didn’t.

Bad pass for the goal and appalling tracking on Bolasie (arguably the most one footed player on the pitch).

He’d just got the ball on the nose and a bollocking from Duffy, so the red mist came down. Just stupidity.

Still prefer him to March though, but now March does have a chance.......

Unless Locadia plays wide?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jameswestport

Sep 7, 2011
Exactly.

Before the sending off he was poor today, IMO, normally even when he’s been off form, he has put in a shift, the difference today was that he didn’t.

Bad pass for the goal and appalling tracking on Bolasie (arguably the most one footed player on the pitch).

He’d just got the ball on the nose and a bollocking from Duffy, so the red mist came down. Just stupidity.

Still prefer him to March though, but now March does have a chance.......

Unless Locadia plays wide?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Locadia can play wide on FM

BN41Albion

Oct 1, 2017

Exactly my thoughts. I trust Hughton over any manager in the Premier League to support Knocky to overcome his frustrations and anger when things aren't going his way. He clearly has a lot going on in his head at the moment - probably putting too much pressure on himself to perform at this level.

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Not sure why people aren't allowed to criticise Knockaert purely on what he did before this season. That was a shocking challenge, he should know better than that having been on the end of a few, notably the one at Watford. Could easily have broken the bloke's leg. And he costs us a man in the game, and his availability for three letting down manager, team-mates and fans alike.

But the way I see it you take the deserved flak, do your time, and then once he's back he should be forgiven if he gets back to what he has done so well for us - playing well, helping us win matches. No one has forgotten his contribution.

No excuse but possibly an explanation of what triggered it - just felt like a lot of frustration in that challenge, not just for the match itself but for the whole season. Knocky has failed to light up the Premier League as many thought he would, I am sure he is disappointed overall with how it has gone.

Originunknown

BINFEST'ING
Aug 30, 2011
SUSSEX
Arguement for him to be dropped after the performance regardless of the red card.

He acts like a teenager far more than he should do at his age. Sadly hasn't grown up, has no humility and a real lack of emotional intelligence in dealing with his frustrations in a way which doesn't damage his game and subsequently the team.

Chris should leave him out beyond the suspension.

Renegade1

Mar 7, 2018
Stupid challenge.Any chance of getting a late draw however slim was gone with that challenge.

Plus all for nothing because he hardly made contact.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here