Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Jack Wilshere

Rich Suvner

Skint years RIP
Jul 17, 2003
Worthing
He played deep yesterday, in front of back four. Is this usual now, or was that tactical to get him possession? In any case, as a result he was the engine of their midfielder and I thought had a very impressive game. Got the ball moving and pushed Arsenal forward. However, our defence in front of him were immense and really limited options through the middle which is where you think of him being at his most creative. The players ahead of him also struggled to get in the game. So whilst I think he played well, I think we did well to limit the damage.

middletoenail

Jul 2, 2008
Hong Kong
IF, he didn't smoke, IF he wasn't always injured, IF he wasn't on the front page of the tabloids for being a ****.... He would easily be good enough for our squad.

Rock Lobster

Dec 2, 2010
Hastings
Thought he was above average in a poor team. Could see it a mile off the players in front of him weren't offering anything and we did well to limit their options...

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
Wilshere is exactly the sort of player we need in midfield I believe.

Very positive bringing the ball forward, comfortable on the ball and can go past defenders at pace.

We often had two or three players trying to stop him and he still came away with the ball more often than not.

Stephens and Propper, for all their considerable merits, cannot hold the ball for any length of time without either passing the ball or running the risk of losing it.

Never seen Wilshere live before but was very impressed...... I’ll ask for his shirt next time (then maybe not!)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
You are right that Wilshere did all the things you say and very well. My point is that having done all that, he mostly only passed the ball 10 yards either backwards or sideways therefore made no valuable contribution.

On the other hand, Stephens and Propper were highlighted by Shearer for their contribution and even though they misplace the occasional pass, it's because they are trying a ball longer than 10 yards. I know who I'd rather have!

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
People suggesting that he only plays 10 yd passes seem to have overlooked that it is these simple passes that has made Dale Stephens arguably our POTS so far this season. They are simple but so effective and needed in a game.

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
I know we're in a state of jubilation and rightly so but did anyone else think Jack Wilshere was class today? The only Arsenal player that left the pitch with any amount of pride.

:albion2:

Unchallenged dribbling and short passes. Reminded me of Bridcutt.

Seagull73

Sienna's Heaven
Jul 26, 2003
Not Lewes
I thought his contribution in the first half was fitful and laboured at best. But in the second half, he was the one on the ball for them and the only one making anything at all happen. His contribution changed when, after he scythed down Knockaert (which didn't get hardly any mention and could actually have easily been a red), he started to look like he gave a shit. Nobody else in an Arsenal shirt can even come close to claiming that they looked like they cared.

clarkey

Jan 3, 2006
You are right that Wilshere did all the things you say and very well. My point is that having done all that, he mostly only passed the ball 10 yards either backwards or sideways therefore made no valuable contribution.

On the other hand, Stephens and Propper were highlighted by Shearer for their contribution and even though they misplace the occasional pass, it's because they are trying a ball longer than 10 yards. I know who I'd rather have!

You would, I'm sure, also have seen Shearer highlight how Ozil and Wilshere had no forward options because Iwobi, Aubameyang etc were making naff runs towards the ball carrier.

seagulls4ever

Oct 2, 2003
Massively over rated.

8 goals in 162 PL games and not many more (if at all assists)

You do realise players can contribute more to games than just goals and assists? If if was a number 10, a winger or a forward your argument might have some validity. As it is, it's just a really lazy argument. How many goals and assists does the "best player in the world" :lolol: Harry Winks have this season?

Stephens and Propper don't get many goals/assists, but that doesn't matter because they contribute to the team in other ways, like starting off attacks by spraying the ball out to the wingers.

Wilshere was Arsenal's engine yesterday and was extremely impressive.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Thought Wiltshire was their only decent player.

He really does care.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
You do realise players can contribute more to games than just goals and assists? If if was a number 10, a winger or a forward your argument might have some validity. As it is, it's just a really lazy argument. How many goals and assists does the "best player in the world" :lolol: Harry Winks have this season?

Stephens and Propper don't get many goals/assists, but that doesn't matter because they contribute to the team in other ways, like starting off attacks by spraying the ball out to the wingers.

Wilshere was Arsenal's engine yesterday and was extremely impressive.

Considering he played further forward and is put down as a creative player, you can look at those stats

Last edited:

rippleman

Oct 18, 2011
Probably the only player good enough for our squad based on yesterday's performances but he would have to do a lot of bench warming.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
He didn’t play a single pass that compared favourably with the one Davy hit down the touchline to Jose with the outside of his boot.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here