Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
Dirty

Sent from my SM-A310F using Tapatalk

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Does a very particular job. In a 3 man midfield alongside an Ozil type and a proper Defensive Midfielder he'd be great. You can only carry one or two showboating types though and he seemed to be playing with 9 or 10 who couldn't care less. Would like to see him play with Ali and Dier in the centre of a 4-1-4-1 at some point.

This. Those bemoaning him seem to bear a grudge against him. One man can't carry a whole team. So what if most of his passes aren't 40/50 yrd passes out to the wide men. He carries the ball forward many times and uses short passes but if no one is making a run into space then he will have to play the ball sideways. Didn't seem that long ago that Tika Taka was all the rage and that is all about short passes.

As for anyone claiming to have been at the match and having watched it again afterwards still claiming he did absolutely nothing then I can only imaging you were watching someone else in error!!

BLOCK F

Feb 26, 2009
He has certainly divided opinion. For what it is worth, I thought he was the one Arsenal player who looked and played as if he really cared and I reckon he played pretty well.

Nitram

Jul 16, 2013
Thought he flattered to deceive, did not seem that effective, goes down a lot, gets angry (or shows passion depending on viewpoint) and loses focus, always looks like he's one step from a sending off in a game. Would take the work rate and effectiveness of Propper and Stephens all day long.

JBizzle

Apr 18, 2010
Seaford
This. Those bemoaning him seem to bear a grudge against him. One man can't carry a whole team. So what if most of his passes aren't 40/50 yrd passes out to the wide men. He carries the ball forward many times and uses short passes but if no one is making a run into space then he will have to play the ball sideways. Didn't seem that long ago that Tika Taka was all the rage and that is all about short passes.

As for anyone claiming to have been at the match and having watched it again afterwards still claiming he did absolutely nothing then I can only imaging you were watching someone else in error!!

I'm actually in the "generally think he's a good footballer" camp, but the more I watched the game, the less value I felt he added. A standard English stereotype performance of huff and puff, blood and thunder, but with no real end product.

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
Probably their best player but I don't see him becoming anything like what we all hoped he'd become, he looks a little too squat and not that dynamic, his style is to play the ball late you almost think he's lost it and he just gets a little pass away, but he drove out of pockets quite well, nasty little man which isnt a bad thing I suppose.

As for the pundits, Souness (whom I like) called him overrated last week and they will stick to that no matter what, bit like whenever they mention Tottenham in a positive sense ending with ''the likes of Dele Alli'' the player that hasnt had a decent game for a season more because they highlited him as Englands future star after he had a good game in 2016 ...........

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
He has certainly divided opinion. For what it is worth, I thought he was the one Arsenal player who looked and played as if he really cared and I reckon he played pretty well.

He didn’t look like he cared when he was photographed partying, smoking and pouring champagne in a Las Vegas jacuzzi a few days after England were dumped out of the World Cup.

Scoffers

Jan 13, 2004
Burgess Hill
I thought his ball control was excellent, he was able to turn us inside out and release the ball accurately on several occasions, but mainly short passes, I'm less convinced by his ability to provide the longer range defence splitting pass.

Yes he's a bit of a thug, but at least he shows passion and commitment, something lacking from most of the Arsenal team.

Pantani

Il Pirata
Dec 3, 2008
Newcastle
Wenger has totally lost that team. Quite sad to see him these days, tearing up coffee stirrers with a stony resigned face.

Interesting too that, before the game, Thierry Henry felt unable to comment on the Arsenal calamity and stalked off. I wonder why he thought that , seeing he is getting paid megabucks to offer an opinion, he feels it's appropriate to refuse to comment and do one.? I know he's French but that's just knobbish.

I don't know about that. Wenger made Henry's career, turned him in to one of the best strikers there has ever been in English football. Wenger is probably someone Henry considers a friend and mentor.

Yet it is clear that Henry would need to point out that Wenger has lost the plot, and is a detriment to the future of Arsenal. Not sure I would want to be on worldwide TV slagging off a personal friend, who is clearly suffering a lot at the moment.

Stumpy Tim

He was playing as a holding midfielder, and as was pointed out on MOTD2 the Arsenal forwards just weren't making any runs behind, so it's no surprise he wasn't able to create much. He was the only Arsenal player who tried, and he often ran 30 yards to get them up the pitch. It seems some people are expecting him to do everything. Propper & Stephens did their job well, as did Jack. We were fortunate that the rest of our team did their job too, unlike Arsenal.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patreon
Jun 27, 2012
Interesting too that, before the game, Thierry Henry felt unable to comment on the Arsenal calamity and stalked off. I wonder why he thought that , seeing he is getting paid megabucks to offer an opinion, he feels it's appropriate to refuse to comment and do one.? I know he's French but that's just knobbish.

Henry went off to co-commentate Man City / Chelsea. And presenter confirmed that on air. He commented in the studio at length about Arsenal/Wenger/Brighton after that match ended.

biddles911

May 12, 2014
Wilshere is exactly the sort of player we need in midfield I believe.

Very positive bringing the ball forward, comfortable on the ball and can go past defenders at pace.

We often had two or three players trying to stop him and he still came away with the ball more often than not.

Stephens and Propper, for all their considerable merits, cannot hold the ball for any length of time without either passing the ball or running the risk of losing it.

Never seen Wilshere live before but was very impressed...... I’ll ask for his shirt next time (then maybe not!)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BevBHA

Jan 23, 2017
I have just read this whole thread and I seriously cannot believe people think Jack Wilshere is not good enough for us. Bordering on delusional. I thought he was very good, and he be on of the first names on the team sheet if he was a Brighton player.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I have just read this whole thread and I seriously cannot believe people think Jack Wilshere is not good enough for us. Bordering on delusional. I thought he was very good, and he be on of the first names on the team sheet if he was a Brighton player.

.....and not injured.

sussex_guy2k2

Jun 6, 2014
I thought he had a very weak first half. But I thought second half he drove at us very, very well.

The biggest issue with Arsenal, and for Wilshere, was that they lacked runners. There was a ton of players all wanting to dictate play and run with the ball, but most of them had no one running off the ball to give them real options to break through us.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
He’s 26 and folk are still discussing whether he’s top draw or not. This is all you need to really know.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here