Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Todays ref Stuart Attwell

neilbard

Hedging up
Oct 8, 2013
Tyringham
A poor performance from Attwell, Stephens getting booked then the disgusting challenge on Schelotto. :ohmy:

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
Poor. Stephens booking laughable. Schelotto’s challenge worthy of a yellow whether intentional or not because it was reckless (if not a straight red). And by then they could already have been down to 10 men. If Xhaka going down in the box, then grabbing his leg to pretend he’s been kicked isn’t attempting to deceive the ref than what is? If he’d been kicked, it’d be a penalty. If not, it’s a booking. It’s not the same as simply falling over if you then roll around in mock agony.

Whitechapel

Famous Last Words
Jul 19, 2014
Not in Whitechapel
He made a couple of bad decisions like Stephens tackle which was a joke and Scheletto not even getting a free kick but he knew if he gave the free kick would have to send him off .

On the other hand he got their penalty dive shout right which was a silly swipe from Stephens but luckily he saw there was no contact .

Xhaka had already been booked before the penalty dive, should really have seen red.

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
I agree that Kolasinac should have recieved a 2nd yellow for the foul of Schelotto - possibly even a straight red. The linesman didn't help him at all, as he would have had a perfect view of it.

Also when Xhaka dived in the box he was on a yellow, and you won't see a better example of trying to buy a penalty - he expected contact, got his reaction ready, but the tackle missed. Cheat.

Stephens - perfect tackle. Nuff said

One nobody has mentioned was a tackle from Wilshere who went through the back of Propper after he had passed to Gross (in front of the West) - Atwell played on for a short period, but then brought it back for the foul... clear 2nd yellow. Bearing in mind Atwell had given yellows for very little during that period, that warranted a 2nd yellow also.

Arsenal were very lucky to keep 11 on the pitch!

TSB

Captain Hindsight
Jul 7, 2003
Lansdowne Place, Hove
Should have sent off the left back. So dangerous to shove your arm,elbow & shoulder into someone's face.
I assume that will result in a suspension once the video is reviewed.
Should have given Xhaka (was it?) a second yellow for the horrendous dive where Stephens got nowhere near him.
Ridiculous booking for Dale.

Separately: the linesman by the East Stand was abysmal, too.

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
That first Wilshere foul was studs up as well, could have been red. The Stephens booking and the Schelotto assault decisions were appalling.

jasetheace

Apr 13, 2011
He was pretty good I thought for 80 minutes but will be embarrassed about the two howlers. Regardless of acceptance of apologies from our players, that challenge on Schelotto was reckless and a straight red.

Diablo

NSC Patron
Sep 22, 2014
lewes
One of the better performances I thought....Saw nothing wrong with Schelotto incident just two players crashing and the Stephens tackle was obviously a mistake. Easy to see in slowmotion not as easy in real time.

Midget

Concourse Kabe. *Posts may be affected by alcohol.
Aug 16, 2015
Lurking
Dermot Gallagher on Ref Watch - Kolasinac should have gone, Stephens shouldn't have been booked.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Dermot Gallagher on Ref Watch - Kolasinac should have gone, Stephens shouldn't have been booked.

100% this. The added strong shoulder charge was NOT "a natural coming together of two players with only eyes for the ball". Reckless so at to endanger an opponent doesn't just mean martial arts style use of the elbow or straight-legged challenges. Atwell needs to go back to refereeing school on this one.

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
One of the better performances I thought....Saw nothing wrong with Schelotto incident just two players crashing and the Stephens tackle was obviously a mistake. Easy to see in slowmotion not as easy in real time.

That challenge on Schelotto, if done on a Saturday night and seen by a cop would be an assault charge. It was 100% deliberate because Schelotto was ripping him a new asshole every time he went forward and that was the only way he could stop him. Hopefully there will be a 3 match ban to add to their woes.

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Just watched the half-hour match highlights back on Sky having been at the game, and couldn't believe how biased Alan Smith was throughout the game. We all know he is Arsenal but FFS if you are doing a professional pundit job at least make a bit of an effort to be impartial. His take on most of the controversial incidents was almost as one-eyed as that idiot Mark Bright when he was on TV.

Incredible the 'assault' on Schelotto was dismissed so easily. It looked brutal, he knew exactly what he was doing, and that's why he quickly knew how bad the damage might be.

rippleman

Oct 18, 2011
The Schelletto incident was baffling.
Anyone who genuinely thinks that was an accident hasn't seen the footage properly, or is a gooner.
Chris's view doesn't count because he pretty much never vocalises any dissent in interviews.

Yet again, I refer back to Hemed's trial by TV and subsequent red card.
How the absolute ****, can you compare the two incidents and consider one to be worthy of a red and the other an accident.

Ridiculous.

And that's before we consider Lukaku kicking Bong in the crown jewels and getting away with it.

We were always going to have to battle the refs / FA this season as we are "only a small club". I do think CH needs to maybe get a bit more streetwise and actually vocalise when referees make blatantly incompetent decisions against us. And maybe get in the ear of the referee's assistants and fourth officials more. I know he isn't that kind of bloke but managers who do behave in that way do seem to get more going for them than against them.

Arthritic Toe

Nov 25, 2005
Swindon
It was a shocking performance by the officials - about half a dozen incorrect calls. As it turned out, none of them resulted in match-changing incidents but really poor nonetheless.

The Isquierdo 'offside' from the free-kick didn't even make the MOTD highlights which was odd. That one could only have been a case of mistaken identity by the linesman.

T.G

Mar 30, 2011
Shoreham-by-Sea
That challenge on Schelotto, if done on a Saturday night and seen by a cop would be an assault charge. It was 100% deliberate because Schelotto was ripping him a new asshole every time he went forward and that was the only way he could stop him. Hopefully there will be a 3 match ban to add to their woes.

Problem with that is that we don't want Arsenal to be weakened if they are playing our rivals.....the only justice should have been him off on the day. There is no point in pursuing it now. That challenge was a disgrace as was the decision not to do anything.

brightn'ove

cringe
Apr 12, 2011
London
Having now watched the highlights again, I'd like to add another point:

I hadn't noticed earlier, but when Stephens tries to clear the ball and misses, and Xhaka goes down, he grabs his leg and griminesses as if in agony (looking for a penalty), despite having not been kicked. As he sees play has moved he just jumps up and gets into position to carry on, clearly not feeling any knock at all.

Cheating ****!

Koscielny took a few dives as well (winning a free kick every time), likewise they seemed to know that they could get away with any handball, mustve been maybe 3 or 4 times that they handled it but it was ignored. I was VERY surprised when he didn't give them the penalty, and then again incensed when I realised that it should have been a 2nd yellow for Xhaka.

Arsenal were dirty and willing to cheat at every opportunity. We haven't seen a performance like that before at the amex imo. SO happy that we beat them.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here