Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Which of our players are most likely to be targets of other clubs?

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería
I think Dunk will go - I hope that's it. Luckily we are quite well off for centre-backs. We can use the money wisely in other areas.

I can see us coming under pressure to lose Gross but hopefully we can see that off.

There was plenty of talk about Izzy's mindset early on - his performances have been brilliant but we don't know how he is settling in outside of the football. Obviously at the other end of it, there would be players that would be likely to leave (for a fee or not) as well e.g Bruno, Hemed, Skalak, Rosenior

But overall I would be confident that we will strengthen as we have in recent seasons

He seemed pretty happy in the Sky interview that was posted on here yesterday.

spence

British and Proud
Oct 15, 2014
Crawley
None.

Bloom would want really silly money for players like Dunk. £30 million.

dingodan

Feb 16, 2011
It's all about "can we keep" rather than "can we bring in" at the end of the season this year for me.

I'd be delighted if we started next season with nobody in and nobody out.

martin tyler

Jan 25, 2013
Slightly controversial I know, but I think Dunk is one player we should encourage to leave. Not that I want him to go of course, but that fella is destined for bigger things, notably England caps. He is tailor made for Arsenal who need to rebuild, and they'd pay a huge fee for him. If not them, then I'd be surprised if other big clubs didn't snap him up.

Part of my reasoning is wanting the best for a player who has excelled for us for years, and part of it is because I have absolute faith in our recruitment team to bring in another top drawer replacement for about a tenth of the fee we'd get for him.

In fact come to think of it, I'd be more worried if bigger clubs came sniffing around the recruitment team than our players, who ultimately do come and go anyway.

Agree but the scouting network has already done a great job in identifying Connor Goldson. Personally I think he has all the attributes of another outstanding CB at this level

djentist

Aug 15, 2017
Dunk is the one I'm most worried about losing, however he is also the one we are best equipped to replace given that we have Goldson waiting around who has shown he can compete at this level, and is also a ball playing defender, plus we have Ben White who I am convinced will eventually be a Premier League defender whether that's with us or someone else. I'd say Dunk's 50/50 on staying or going in the summer, he's tied down with us on a decent contract but an offer from the likes of Arsenal may be a difficult one to refuse for both club and him. Who knows, we could have a Burnley situation on our hands where our best defender goes and the replacement already at the club ends up doing an even better job.

I'm less concerned about the likes of Izquierdo, Ryan and Gross however they are also all likely to attract interest. Ryan is good enough for a Top 6 club imo but his interview I read the other week about his fondness for our club and town was a great insight, he's enjoying his football here and with his past experiences at Valencia, he'd know very well that he'd need to carefully contemplate any move. We love him, he loves us, he's in no hurry to leave and I'd be surprised if he did in the near future. Izquierdo has to be our most talented player, we haven't seen the best of him yet which he himself knows, and for that reason I think he'll stay for at least another season to fulfil his potential here. With him now being settled and accustomed to the league, I'm convinced he will cause some serious damage next season should we stay up. There's a few other ones such as Duffy that may be sniffed at a bit, but I'm confident of us being able to keep them, and would be shocked to see us fire selling all of our talent like Southampton have done previously. One or two at most, Chris and Tony know all too well about how important keeping the squad together is, we've seen ruthlessness with the Stephens situation in 16-17 where we could have accepted defeat.

I'd probably be more concerned about the amount of out of contract players that could potentially end up walking away, our HGP numbers will be significantly under what's needed for a full 25 man squad should they all be let go. Rosenior, Krul, and Sidwell surely going puts us on just 5 HGP's and removes a lot of the experience from our squad, and that's assuming Baldock's happy to remain in our reserves for the rest of his contract, plus Goldson will likely either be sold or loaned out if Dunk stays. Could be left with just 3 HGP's when we need 8 for a squad with enough depth, we will not get by next season with a 20-22 man squad. With the potential loss of El Capitan as well, we're looking at a new era for the club and a significant overhaul in the window - need quite a few English players.

BevBHA

Jan 23, 2017
Yep, my view as well. He scares defenders as he’s quick and now goes outside as well as cutting in. Cracking shot on him and clever intricate play. I think the upturn in Murrays form is closely aligned to the threat Jose is now bringing.

Interesting point of view. Definitley agree he had lots of variety vs Swansea, today however I thought he cut in every time!

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
The longer the season goes on the more I think any team wanting to buy Dunk has to buy Duffy too.

Hanson & Lawrenson, Pallister & Bruce, Adams & Bould don't come round too often.
The fact that they are both only 26 and have a good 10 years ahead of them, is even more staggering.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

BevBHA

Jan 23, 2017
Slightly controversial I know, but I think Dunk is one player we should encourage to leave. Not that I want him to go of course, but that fella is destined for bigger things, notably England caps. He is tailor made for Arsenal who need to rebuild, and they'd pay a huge fee for him. If not them, then I'd be surprised if other big clubs didn't snap him up.

Part of my reasoning is wanting the best for a player who has excelled for us for years, and part of it is because I have absolute faith in our recruitment team to bring in another top drawer replacement for about a tenth of the fee we'd get for him.

In fact come to think of it, I'd be more worried if bigger clubs came sniffing around the recruitment team than our players, who ultimately do come and go anyway.

To add to this, can also then sell the club to potential signings that we will allow players to furfill their potential to play at the highest level, rather than stem their growth like Southampton attempted with Van Dijk.

Last edited:

warmleyseagull

Apr 17, 2011
Beaminster, Dorset
Question is where targets would go. Top 6 obviously (and yes, I would include Arsenal) so you have to ask which of our players would fit in with any of those. Don't mean NSC thinks they would, but whether realistically the management of those clubs thinks so. I am just not sure that even Dunk is quite proven enough to be SEEN as a Champions League defender. We would say he is, but we don't buy players for top 6. At this stage, I can't think of any who are likely to attract attention; maybe in a season's time but not now.

Overseas is very unlikely so only other realistic source of interest is the more established teams outside top 6: Everton and, er,er, can't think of anyone else. Guess players' agents might get tempted by better wages anywhere (Albion are 2nd lowest wage players in PL) but that is rectifiable where they are now unless TB gets very hung up on salary cap.

dangull

Feb 24, 2013
Dunk is terrible I tell you. Don't people remember those reckless challenges that would get him sent off in crucial games in previous years. As for the amount of own goals this season? At last Lewis realised today which goal he should be aiming for. Ewe is just waiting for his chance. No chance a big club will be in for him any time soon.

BUTTERBALL

East Stand Brighton Boyz
Jul 31, 2003
location location
At this rate it would probably be easier to name the players that WON'T be targets.

Lewis Dunk would have to be top of the list of prized assets. Arsenal should definitely be looking for someone of his quality.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
The longer the season goes on the more I think any team wanting to buy Dunk has to buy Duffy too.

Hanson & Lawrenson, Pallister & Bruce, Adams & Bould don't come round too often.
The fact that they are both only 26 and have a good 10 years ahead of them, is even more staggering.
Dunk and Van Dyck could seem a pretty attractive proposition to some, too.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I think that Arsenal will come knocking with an offer for either Dunk or Duffy as regards the rest I do not envisage any offers. Should somebody come in for Stephens or Gross would Wilshire be available to replace them.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here