Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Biggest single result since Hereford?

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
You obviously accept that Hereford was a bigger win, so you understand that the point is not about how high up the league the opponents were. So yes, Arsenal are the highest up the league we've beaten, but that doesn't make the win bigger than wins that give you promotion or survival. If we'd have drawn we'd still have been likely to stay up. It was a great to beat a top 6 side, but it's unlikely to have been significant in the history of our club.

The win against Wigan last season was probably bigger.

The win against Wigan was just one of 20-odd that got us promoted - and one of the most routine - but as a day it was momentous, of course. As a single result in isolation, yesterday was our biggest win - so far. If this becomes commonplace, then it will be just another result, but right now I am high as a kite and have been like that for a good 20+ hours :)

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
The win against Wigan was just one of 20-odd that got us promoted
The win against Middlesbrough the season before was just one of 20 odd that got us promoted. Oh no, wait, we didn't win that and didn't get promoted, so the 20 odd wins before that counted for nothing. In a season like the last, the one that gets you over the line is pretty significant (possibly along with a few others, like Wednesday when we had 10 men).

As a single result in isolation, yesterday was our biggest win - so far.
Stop, stop, stop already. In isolation? Where did that weird and irrelevant clause creep in? That's like saying the result against Hereford was among the worst non-defeat results of our history, given that Hereford were the worst team in the whole football league and we didn't even beat them. Games aren't in isolation, so just scrap that crap.

If this becomes commonplace, then it will be just another result, but right now I am high as a kite and have been like that for a good 20+ hours :)
Quite right too. Part of the reason I'm high is that it's another 3 points on the road to safety. Had we been safe before beating a poor Arsenal it wouldn't have meant so much.

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
The win against Middlesbrough the season before was just one of 20 odd that got us promoted. Oh no, wait, we didn't win that and didn't get promoted, so the 20 odd wins before that counted for nothing. In a season like the last, the one that gets you over the line is pretty significant (possibly along with a few others, like Wednesday when we had 10 men).

Stop, stop, stop already. In isolation? Where did that weird and irrelevant clause creep in? That's like saying the result against Hereford was among the worst non-defeat results of our history, given that Hereford were the worst team in the whole football league and we didn't even beat them. Games aren't in isolation, so just scrap that crap.

Quite right too. Part of the reason I'm high is that it's another 3 points on the road to safety. Had we been safe before beating a poor Arsenal it wouldn't have meant so much.

You know you don't have to take every post quite so literally :)

It was a good win but as we didn't achieve anything yesterday its really just another result. Roll on Everton.

OK?

serendipity

Feb 14, 2012
Unlike many other views here, I feel that this is the biggest result since Hereford. It almost guarantees survival. Given the economic benefits that the club will receive from a further season(s), it is undeniably an immensely important moment in the history of our club. Whilst any win is only worth three points, the timing plus the nature of the opposition make this much more important that any of the other lower league matches that have been mentioned, since Hereford.

I had the pleasure to be at Hereford and the not so great pleasure to be at Albion 0 Arsenal 4. In that particular season the Albion were trying to become an established League 1 club - they never looked like achieving it. Now, we look like a Premiership team, with a Premiership squad. The Arsenal result facilitates the growth of the Albion.

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
It was a good win but as we didn't achieve anything yesterday its really just another result. Roll on Everton.

OK?

Well I don't agree. That was a huge win, both in the context of this season and our history, and one that will be remembered for some time. Arsenal are not just another team and that wasn't just another win.

:p

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
No, different things altogether. Hereford was - quite literally - do or die. Great result as yesterday was, it won't be one that we're still talking about in 20 years time. We'll still remember Hereford though.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Well I don't agree. That was a huge win, both in the context of this season and our history, and one that will be remembered for some time. Arsenal are not just another team and that wasn't just another win.
Nurse!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here