PREMIER LEAGUE

Venue: The American Express Community Stadium
Date: Sunday 4th March 2018
Kick-off: 13:30 GMT
Referee: Kevin Friend
Assistants: Simon Beck, Matthew Wilkes
Fourth official: Stuart Attwell

TEAM NEWS

Brighton have no new injury concerns and could name the same team that defeated Swansea last weekend.

Midfielder Jiri Skalak has overcome an ankle problem, leaving Steve Sidwell as the only absentee.

Jack Wilshere is a doubt for Arsenal after missing Thursday's defeat by Manchester City with an ankle injury.

Nacho Monreal and Alexandre Lacazette are out as manager Arsene Wenger considers changes ahead of the Europa League trip to AC Milan.

MOTD COMMENTATOR'S NOTES

Steve Wilson: "As a barometer of just how far they have fallen, the last week has been a sobering experience for Arsenal.

"The club which once boasted of invincibility is in danger of becoming an irrelevance in any discussion of the top teams in English football.

"In a slow but steady and inexorable decline, they have gone from being champions to being one of the top two, then the top four, and now the top six.

"Brighton's six-game unbeaten run will give them cause to hope for a first win over Arsenal since 1982.

"Among 17 visitors to the Amex this season, only Manchester City, Chelsea and Liverpool have left with a win. Arsenal beware."

WHAT THE MANAGERS SAY

Brighton manager Chris Hughton: "We have to take care of our business but most would say it is the worst time to play them, they will want a reaction.

"I think for most people, irrespective of everything, we will still be underdogs.

"You can't underestimate the quality they have got; it has been a difficult last two games but they have been playing a team playing as good a football as we have seen in this country for a long time."

Arsenal manager Arsene Wenger after Thursday's 3-0 defeat by Manchester City: "We're going through a difficult period...when your confidence is not at the best, the first thing that goes is your fluidity in the movement, the spontaneous side of the game.

"You look at the score and the temptation is to think it was all rubbish, but that is not the case.

"You have to take a perspective, sit back, look at the whole picture and analyse where we were poor and where we were strong.

"Part of being fair sometimes is to say 'look, that's a strong side and they are better than everybody else at the moment in the league'."

MATCH FACTS

Head-to-head

• [*=left]Brighton have won just two of their 16 meetings with Arsenal in all competitions (D2, L12).
    [*=left]Both of those wins were at home, most recently a top-flight game in 1982.
    [*=left]Arsenal are on a five-game winning streak in this fixture, including October's 2-0 triumph in their maiden Premier League meeting.

Brighton

• [*=left]Brighton could equal their longest Premier League unbeaten run of five matches.
    [*=left]They could also match their top-flight record of three consecutive home victories, last set in September 1982 when their run included a 1-0 victory over Arsenal.
    [*=left]However, Brighton have lost all seven Premier League matches against teams currently in the top six, by an aggregate score of 18-1.
    [*=left]Brighton have scored eight goals in their last three league matches - as many as they managed in their previous 15.
    [*=left]Glenn Murray has scored four goals in his last four Premier League games, as many as in his previous 15 appearances.

Arsenal

• [*=left]Arsenal have gone 10 matches without a clean sheet, their longest run in the Premier League for 16 years.
    [*=left]The Gunners could equal their Premier League club record of four straight away defeats.
    [*=left]It would also be the first time since 1925 they have been defeated in the opening four top-flight away games of a calendar year.
    [*=left]They have lost seven matches in all competitions in 2018 - more than any other Premier League team.

Dick Head

⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Jan 3, 2010
Quaxxann
There's a lot riding on this one. My nine year old said that he might become a Seagull instead of a Gooner depending on the result.

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
Come on 3-1

Sent from my SM-A310F using Tapatalk

The Birdman

Nov 30, 2008
Haywards Heath
What Match on sky local radio and 5live the pressure on our own team is as much as on Arsenal.
We can help today by making sure we get behind the team from start to finish who ever scores first this not just about the two clubs this about how far we come as fans.
Please sing GOSBTS with as much passion as you can.
Good luck CH and TB deserves a win.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
Come on lads we can get something today

Wellesley

Jul 24, 2013
Really hope that we don't show them too much respect. They have played seven of the bottom ten away from home so far and only managed one win. Petr Cech is looking terrible (never thought I'd say that) and if we go at them I really believe we can get something today. And no ****ING autographs!

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Really hope that we don't show them too much respect. They have played seven of the bottom ten away from home so far and only managed one win. Petr Cech is looking terrible (never thought I'd say that) and if we go at them I really believe we can get something today. And no ****ING autographs!
They also lost at Forest in the FA Cup.

Dick Swiveller

Sep 9, 2011
Didn't Kevin Friend do the Spurs game yesterday after an injury? Probably be Shyster knowing our luck.

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk

Dolph Ins

May 26, 2014
Mid Sussex
Our defence has let in 2 goals less than theirs. They have scored twice as many goals as us. No idea what that means but I am a bit worried that I am feeling a glimmer of hope that we can get something today.

Stat Brother

NSC Licker Extraordinaire
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
The suns out.
Home to Arsenal.
Beef stew in the slow cooker.

Happy days.

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton
Didn't Kevin Friend do the Spurs game yesterday after an injury? Probably be Shyster knowing our luck.

True. Wont they bring in the guy from Burgess Hill who always stepped in for friendlies at the Goldstone. Forget his name I'm sad to say.

Edit It was Allan Gunn, who sadly passed away in 2004. Could still do a better job than TCAUS. Rather than send off a player a finger would come down from above with a lightning bolt!

Last edited:

spence

British and Proud
Oct 15, 2014
Crawley
A draw would be a great result

RandyWanger

Je suis rôti de boeuf
Mar 14, 2013
Done a Frexit, now in London
I'm going to be missing this one as I'm about 1000km away but my seat in the library will be put to good use. I'll have to check in after the game, the last game I missed was WBA at home and we all know what happened there. UTA! COYS! GOSBTS :albion2:

Stat Brother

NSC Licker Extraordinaire
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Not in BN43, started raining

That's what you get for cosying up to the ******* son of Lesser Sussex.
You should have stayed loyal to your Greater Sussex overlords. :lol:

Oh and dumplings now made :thumbsup:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Link Here