[News] The question reporters SHOULD have been asking stranded motorists

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
6f7b5be2d6a4355025c69ee4061c1ee5.jpg

Sent from my SM-A310F using Tapatalk

sir albion

Jan 6, 2007
SWINDON
This weather is a barometer of the fact common sense has gone out of the window.

I've just received text notification at 1.44pm that they are shutting my son's school at 2.00pm, so one hour early. WTF is going to happen in that one hour that is so bad? I look outside and the snow is not even half a centimetre thick.

It's the snowflake society we live in now and schools like businesses are now petrified of being sued.

Terrible the way things are now and it's all happened in a pretty short space of time.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Unless you are paying dividends I don’t agree with this. Can you provide an example to show what you mean?

Complex to type up, but let’s compare ltd co versus a job, same income.
Take £55,000 as annual business income from clients. Pay yourself an £8,000 salary through paye. Deduct this from income. Multiply the £47,000 by 81% to leave the element post corp tax, which is available for dividends of £38,070. £2,500 of which will be tax free. Dividends of £35,570 will be taxed at 7.5% = £2,668. So the total taxes paid by the company and individual are £2,668 + £8,930 = £11,598.

An employee on £55,000 pays £15,324 in tax and ees nic.

The gap is actually larger than that as the company can be set up with the spouse also receiving dividends, with their own £2,500 tax free band and then 7.5% dividend tax rate up to the higher rate threshold. Plus use of home as an office and other costs/exenses going through the accounts, reducing the CT liability.

skipper734

Registered ruffian
Aug 9, 2008
Curdridge
Like football and some events. The pitch is fine now days it's the approach and stadium surrounds that stop matches, not snowy pitches.

Technohead

Aug 10, 2013
Burgess Hill
Self-employed?

Loaf of bread £5-00 Milk £10-00 Why?Because companies attempting to make a profit after paying their staff to sit at home. Please get real.

I love the way so many believe it's ok just to expect money from their employers irrelevant of their attendance. It all has to be costed, sick pay, maternity pay, paternity pay, holiday pay and now living too far away from your work to walk, you have to stay at home pay.

My old contract stated I had to live within the vicinity of my place of work. You were allowed to live further afield but would be expected to make arrangements to get in if bad weather hit. This could be staying in a hotel close by. Not a problem as it was for an airline so plenty around the airport. BA even paid for the hotel.

Nice rant. I was quite happy to give two of my staff paid leave on Tuesday, one who couldn't get in because of transport problems and one through lack of childcare as the school was closed. I know damn well that they will give back to me 10 fold over the course of the year in little goodwill gestures that soon mount up .... 30 minutes unpaid overtime here and there or flexibility around start and finish times when workload becomes unpredictable. Two of their colleagues actually phoned up and offered to come in to cover them. Show a little empathy and kindness and it doesn't go unrecognised by your staff.

Charlies Shinpad

Jul 5, 2003
Oakford in Devon
But its incredibly selfish. Try using that reasoning to the family of the 7 year old girl killed in Looe by a car that skated out of control down a hill; or the children of someone who kills himself in an accident in the snow. Get a hotel for the night, take a day off unpaid, its better in the long-run. Its one day in 25 years for christ's sake

or yes, walk to work.

Those conditions in Devon yesterday were horrendous - and completely forecast days in advance.

I’m stranded in Oakford, Devon and as soon as they have the Red warning on Thursday I left work
No wages earnt for two days off but better than being stuck on a road for 24 hours
We are still snowed in now and more snow forecast today
That’s me knackered for getting to Brighton for the game tomorrow

sully

Dunscouting
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
I got back from Scotland last night having flown into the eye of the storm on Wednesday morning. Two of my colleagues were supposed to come home the day I flew up but we all ended up trapped together.
We’ve left a trail of unused hotel bookings, flights and emergency food but managed to get home by continuously reassessing options and possibilities.
It could be considered that we were crazy to start our journey yesterday as soon as the amber warning dropped to yellow, but we’d researched all options and knew that there was a window of opportunity. We also had contingency plans if anything changed along the way.
Glad to be back!

Edit:
The only disaster is that I must have dropped my old Skint beeny hat when switching between the cab and hire car :down:

Last edited:

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Nice rant. I was quite happy to give two of my staff paid leave on Tuesday, one who couldn't get in because of transport problems and one through lack of childcare as the school was closed. I know damn well that they will give back to me 10 fold over the course of the year in little goodwill gestures that soon mount up .... 30 minutes unpaid overtime here and there or flexibility around start and finish times when workload becomes unpredictable. Two of their colleagues actually phoned up and offered to come in to cover them. Show a little empathy and kindness and it doesn't go unrecognised by your staff.

Bang on the money.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here