Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Travel] Symphony of the Seas - the largest passenger ship ever to be constructed

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
hos-0628.jpg

I spent a few nights on board sister ship Harmony of the Sea. Decent little 'cabin'. :)

JOLovegrove

Jan 30, 2012
Quite interesting reading all your comments on here about cruising, as not only do I work on cruise ships, but Royal Caribbean too.

I have been working onboard for nearly 3 years and have had a fantastic time. Having read one post that Royal Caribbean is a "party" cruise line made me smile. Yes, we probably are more then some of the British companies, but nothing compared to Carnival. We like to pride ourselves on being the biggest and having the best entertainment. I have a lot of friends working on the Symphony, getting it ready to go to sea. As far as the lifeboat debate goes, that the number for just the boats themselves. The ship will also have devices called MESs, a raft that inflates and gets pulled along by the boats. Not overly glamourous, but that is how a lot of the crew will be saved.

We also have these wonderful things called virtual balconies onboard.... you should have a google.....

I'm currently on the Anthem of the Seas which does cruises out of New Jersey. Any questions anyone has about cruising or working on a ship, feel free to ask! Would be interesting to hear some more opinions on cruising too, especially the more extreme ones!

Jul 7, 2003
I suspect you won't find any. Cruises seem to be a love-hate type of holiday; you know instinctively what they will be like and avoid them if it's not your cup of tea.

I think they're like holiday camps on water, and I would never go to a holiday camp either, so the choice is an easy one. I also find them very expensive - I prefer to travel independently and keep costs down, but I understand that lots of people want all of that organisation and planning done for them, and are happy to pay for it.

Did our first cruise last summer. Not sure it’s something I’d do repeatedly (very obvious that there is a large cohort of ‘regulars’) but really enjoyed it (I was very sceptical beforehand). Felt like a series of nice city mini-breaks without having to change hotels, visited some fascinating places. Plenty to do on board, great food, decent entertainment, very comfy and spacious suite with a big balcony, good service throughout.

I did a short cruise last summer to try it out. I was a little worried it would be like a holiday camp at sea but found it surprisingly enjoyable. I agree with Dazzer about the city break feeling. While there is plenty to do on board if you want to, there is no pressure to join in. Some of these new ships are ridiculous with the activities - climbing walls, surf simulators, go kart tracks, zip wires. However, despite being on one of the larger ships (P&O Azura) we also found some areas where you could enjoy some peace and quiet, sit down and read a book or just watch the world float by.

While I don't think I would want to do a long cruise yet, I am thinking about going on another cruise around the Caribbean as a way of seeing a few of the islands in a short space of time. The ship is just a floating hotel and restaurant while island hopping.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
Not something I would do, but surprised at the snobbery of those who like it.

However, one of my favourite places is Palma in Majorca, I simply love that city.

When the cruise ships turn up the place becomes suddenly full of idiots who queue up for cabs to places that could walk to or get a bus to.

Quite interesting reading all your comments on here about cruising, as not only do I work on cruise ships, but Royal Caribbean too.

I have been working onboard for nearly 3 years and have had a fantastic time. Having read one post that Royal Caribbean is a "party" cruise line made me smile. Yes, we probably are more then some of the British companies, but nothing compared to Carnival. We like to pride ourselves on being the biggest and having the best entertainment. I have a lot of friends working on the Symphony, getting it ready to go to sea. As far as the lifeboat debate goes, that the number for just the boats themselves. The ship will also have devices called MESs, a raft that inflates and gets pulled along by the boats. Not overly glamourous, but that is how a lot of the crew will be saved.

We also have these wonderful things called virtual balconies onboard.... you should have a google.....

I'm currently on the Anthem of the Seas which does cruises out of New Jersey. Any questions anyone has about cruising or working on a ship, feel free to ask! Would be interesting to hear some more opinions on cruising too, especially the more extreme ones!

Great insight. I’m on the Anthem out of Cape Liberty on 26th July. Can’t wait.

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
Not something I would do, but surprised at the snobbery of those who like it.

However, one of my favourite places is Palma in Majorca, I simply love that city.

When the cruise ships turn up the place becomes suddenly full of idiots who queue up for cabs to places that could walk to or get a bus to.

What a curious post. I can understand why you get frustrated when your favourite holiday resort suddenly fills up with tourists. I feel the same during the summer in Brighton, but hey, that's what you get in places that rely heavily on tourism. Palma prospers thanks to it's cruise terminal.

But why the harsh judgement of people who enjoy a cruise, something you freely admit is not for you and I'm guessing you haven't tried? I've read the whole thread with interest and can't see any snobbery, although one or two cruisers and employees of RC have defended cruises as I am now.

I have shared a cab in to Palma myself before realising I could have walked. Sometimes you do that when you visit new places and obviously some travellers might struggle walking longer than usual in unaccustomed heat.

But like anything, I'd say don't knock it till you've tried it. Independence of the Seas with Royal Caribbean out of Southampton is a smaller ship and a great place to start.

JOLovegrove

Jan 30, 2012
I have to say, that word fills me with horror when I see it associated with any holiday.

If I told you I was a production manager onboard, would that be even worse?

We are the best in the industry for it though. On Anthem, we have We Will Rock You, which even if the plot isn't great, the music is fantastic!

Have you cruised before?

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley

We are the best in the industry for it though. On Anthem, we have We Will Rock You, which even if the plot isn't great, the music is fantastic!

Have you cruised before?

I'm a big fan of Queen but my wife said plot of We Will Rock You made her head explode!

No I've never been on a cruise but to be honest tend to avoid hotels as well. Generally when on holiday we try to find quieter places with predominantly locals, and avoid places with large crowds of English people. Don't have problem with people who like it though.

I particularly enjoy going to little local bars and restaurants so it would seem a bit of a waste to pay for the food on a boat and not use it.

Admittedly we're having to tailor our holidays to our daughter now and it could be a better fit for her.

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003

Have you cruised before?

I wouldn’t knock the musicals - Grease on HotS was ace.

Music is an issue though. Too much stigma for any decent artist to get involved.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex

Have you cruised before?

Better than Disney? Really?

Jul 7, 2003

Been considering Royal Caribbean for a cruise at Christmas. With the guest restaurants on board - Johnny Rockets, chops grille, etc - do they all have an additional cover charge and if so, are we talking a small amount or is it paying full price? Thanks

JOLovegrove

Jan 30, 2012
Better than Disney? Really?

For children, no, they clearly have the upper hand there. But for shows in general, we are always voted the best in the business. Across 5 ships we have Grease, We Will Rock You, Mamma Mia, Hairspray and Cats. Yes, they aren't to everyone's taste, but it is still pretty impressive. We are also the only line to perform on the ground, in the air, on ice and in the water. We have ice rinks on about half of our ships and the 4 big ones also have aqua theatres. All of the new ships also having flying in there shows. (I am probably sounding very preachy at the moment!)

Have you ever cruised before?

JOLovegrove

Jan 30, 2012
Been considering Royal Caribbean for a cruise at Christmas. With the guest restaurants on board - Johnny Rockets, chops grille, etc - do they all have an additional cover charge and if so, are we talking a small amount or is it paying full price? Thanks

I am actually going to Chops later tonight with the team. For that, its about 35 dollars a head, but that is all 3 courses, and trust me you eat a lot! The speciality restaurants all charge extra but the food is nice. Which ship you looking at?

Jul 7, 2003
I am actually going to Chops later tonight with the team. For that, its about 35 dollars a head, but that is all 3 courses, and trust me you eat a lot! The speciality restaurants all charge extra but the food is nice. Which ship you looking at?

Not sure yet. Got a few things to resolve first before deciding when and where we go this year let alone who with. If I end up on your ship though will give you a shout.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here